• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I ...? All the basic install questions regularly asked...

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out a little. I'm new to osCommerce, and when I view my osCommerce site in the browser, at the very top of the page it says: Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/hetzel/public_html/shop/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

What do I need to do to get this message to go away?

Thanks

Believe the permissions should be 666 or 644, not sure. You'll want to deny "execute" permissions on the file, I'm fairly certain. You can set the permissions with most FTP programs. Right-click the remote file (command click on Mac), choose the appropriate menu item (properties, permissions, get info, etc.) and reset the permissions. Hope this helps.

ETA: if your hosting company offers a CPanel with a file manager, you can most likely use it to set permissions as well.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i cannot find the directroy " catalog/includes" so i am unable to edit all of these things. could someone tell me how to get to it?

Hi, I am having the same problem. I know the store is in the root, but how do I get there? I'm totally frustrated. Granted, I'm a newbie to this, but was hoping it was easier. Txs for all the help you can give.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out a little. I'm new to osCommerce, and when I view my osCommerce site in the browser, at the very top of the page it says: Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/hetzel/public_html/shop/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

What do I need to do to get this message to go away?

Thanks

if you are running in localhost just find the configure.php at catalog/includes/configure.php then set the file into read only.

if you are running in web hosting, try to access with your ftp aplication, or use the ftp that provided by your web hosting then set the configure file into 444. that is all.

Rocdy

Beginner in php programming and still learning from this forums.

Special thanks for Oscommerce Community Forums that help me a lot. :-)

I tried on the date formate change into DD/MM/YYYY

on point 16 at 1st post.

16. … Change the date format to DD/MM/YYYY?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English.php and around line 21 and 23line and under admin.

but when i registed a trial customer, it still ask for mm/dd/yyyy birthday.

Where else should i change ?? coz it didn't say fully, thx

Has anyone got an answer to this? I'm having the same issue.

Has anyone got an answer to this? I'm having the same issue.

just made a change like below:

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%d/%m/%Y'); // this is used for strftime()

define('DATE_FORMAT_LONG', '%A %d %B, %Y'); // this is used for strftime()

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'd/m/Y'); // this is used for date()

define('DATE_TIME_FORMAT', DATE_FORMAT_SHORT . ' %H:%M:%S');

////

// Return date in raw format

// $date should be in format mm/dd/yyyy

// raw date is in format YYYYMMDD, or DDMMYYYY

function tep_date_raw($date, $reverse = false) {

if ($reverse) {

return substr($date, 0, 2) . substr($date, 3, 2) . substr($date, 6, 4);

} else {

return substr($date, 6, 4) . substr($date, 3, 2) . substr($date, 0, 2);

}

}

and

// text for date of birth example

define('DOB_FORMAT_STRING', 'dd/mm/yyyy');

and

define('ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH_ERROR', 'Your Date of Birth must be in this format: DD/MM/YYYY (eg 21/05/1970)');

define('ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH_TEXT', '* (eg. 21/05/1970)');

and

do the same edit code on the admin side.ok

Rocdy

Beginner in php programming and still learning from this forums.

Special thanks for Oscommerce Community Forums that help me a lot. :-)

Point 13:

13. … Change Top or the Catalog on the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/English.php and find the following lines and make the changes as necessary

CODE

define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Top');

define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Catalog');

You missed out the languages folder - just for any new people that may not be able to find it, I thought I would point it out.

catalog/includes/languages/English.php

Great tutorial though, helped me out a lot.

Cheers, luke.

• 2 weeks later...

guys i read through all this thread and i searched on the forum and the contributions

how do you add a country ??

for example i want to add a country that is not in the country list .. for example lets say "country1"

how do i add it ?

i read about removing and deleting countries but i cant find information about adding

please help me on this one

well appreciated

How to change the "Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account on the front page?"

Ok. I finally figured it out.

You can change it by searching for "define('TEXT_GREETING_GUEST" in catalog/includes/languages/english.php

OR

You can get rid of it by messing with...

} else {

$greeting_string = sprintf(TEXT_GREETING_GUEST, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'), tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

in catalog/includes/functions/general.php

I haven't actually taken it out yet, but that's where you'd need to do it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. It's really nice to count with you at my first time using OsCommerce!

Here's my question... I get index.php file and I personalized to my store, but when I tryed to upload it in my folder, a found this message at the top, is in spanish because I'm in Mexico; but I also tried to do it in the english folder and the error message is the same, if you don't speak spanish, the error is about permissions as a manager to overwrite the files o something like that, I think.

Error: No puedo escribir en este directorio. Asigne los permisos adecuados a: /home/kccwebsc/public_html/e-store/includes/languages/espanol

Error: No puedo escribir en este directorio. Asigne los permisos adecuados a: /home/kccwebsc/public_html/e-store/includes/languages/english

Also I downloaded the DEFINE MAIN PAGE contribution but where may I upload it???

Please HELP ME !!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help. It's really nice to count with you at my first time using OsCommerce!

Here's my question... I get index.php file and I personalized to my store, but when I tryed to upload it in my folder, a found this message at the top, is in spanish because I'm in Mexico; but I also tried to do it in the english folder and the error message is the same, if you don't speak spanish, the error is about permissions as a manager to overwrite the files o something like that, I think.

Error: No puedo escribir en este directorio. Asigne los permisos adecuados a: /home/kccwebsc/public_html/e-store/includes/languages/espanol

Error: No puedo escribir en este directorio. Asigne los permisos adecuados a: /home/kccwebsc/public_html/e-store/includes/languages/english

Also I downloaded the DEFINE MAIN PAGE contribution but where may I upload it???

Please HELP ME !!!!!!!

This comes up from time to time. You have to allow write permissions to the directory indicated. Change permissions either with chmod or with your FTP program. Believe permissions should be 644 or 666, perhaps someone can confirm.

Please HELP ME !!!!!!!

Setting permissions should be done through your webhost control panel.

FTP works sometimes. The permission through FTP tend to be temporary at tmes.

File permissions should be 644. Because some servers has tighten their security, you may want

to try 444 or 400.

If 644 does not remove the warning, try 444 or 400.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering on how to access the file manager so I can edit code from inside my admin panel of my store . I purchased an e book on Os Commerce but it say to go to files > tools> file manager but I don't have that option What should I Do?

click>>here

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering on how to access the file manager so I can edit code from inside my admin panel of my store . I purchased an e book on Os Commerce but it say to go to files > tools> file manager but I don't have that option What should I Do?

how do i load an oscommerce template onto a different,new blank website?

If the shop files have not been altered and the template was written for the same version as the shop, you just upload the template files over the existing ones.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Many thanks! I was looking for this. And it did the trick. It got rid of the clip art in the headers. But didn't seem to remove it for the shopping cart clip art (below header on right side). How do I get rid of it all?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is what I have. Do I remove ALL of this?

</tr>

</table>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

<tr class="headerNavigation">

<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

<td align="right" class="headerNavigation"><?php if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) { ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?></a>  |  <?php } ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT; ?></a>  |  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; ?></a>  |  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; ?></a>   </td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

I have Header Tags SEO installed. My coding is a lot longer than what was said should be deleted to remove the heading images.

Many thanks in advance.

Chelle

hi!

plz tell me how to change background color to white in center of catalog side?

i tried in stylesheet but i cant able to find,

but i change background color as grey and column left, column right, and center bgcolor to white

Now it displaying full grey as bgcolor

plz help how to make change?

Thanks in adv

Hi...

1: First rename ur present logoname

2: Create New logo ans save in one file

3: upload ur new logo with old logo name [or ] any other new name as U like in particular path

4: before uploading plz check where ur old logo is presented and place new logo there

5: go to catalog/includes/hearder[footer] .php file ,

6: Find particular line where logo is placed

7: change new logo name with Extension

I hope it may help U

Hi,

Since I'm hosting the store on a different server than the informational website the link from the top lefthand logo and the "top" link in the breadcrumb don't go where they're supposed to.

I've already read through the questions in this thread and I see clearly how to change the text for the breadcrumb but is there any way for me to hard code the destination link for both of the aforementioned items?

Thanks in advance.

Hey people.

I have found this thread very helpful as Im and about 2 days into making my first store and everything has gone like a breeze besides loading products I am close to a product I'd be happy with.

I am interested in changing the default - new products for *** box into a specials box presented the same as the default box as new products wont be coming that often.

Thankyou.

------------

Not 10secs after I posted this I figured this part out repeating one of the same attempts I did earlier -

(I was wondering how to go about removing the requests counter in the footer as I have tried 2 different ways and it still seems to stay right where it is so any help would be greatly appreciated.)

Where do I change the text on the checkout_shipping.php page?

Right now it says: Zone rates and then underneath it says Shipping Costs for United States

I want to change both of those.

Where do I change the text on the checkout_shipping.php page?

Right now it says: Zone rates and then underneath it says Shipping Costs for United States

I want to change both of those.

Wicks, start a new forum thread with this question... (rather than add it to an old posting).

Archived