• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I ...? All the basic install questions regularly asked...

Hi, I can't install it! :(

This error is something I miss or a problem with the server?

"There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Please verify the connection parameters and try again."

All the permissions are OK and I tried with a few different users and databases, but keeps giving me that error.

Please help! :wacko:

A lost connection can be a problem with your server. You may want to ask your host about it. If it is never connecting, then one of the login items entered is probably at fault.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot this answer is very, very helpfull for a lot of us.

Could you add one more:

How do I chose wich product will appear on the home page. (instead to have just the last one I add, to be abble to chose the mosty relevant one for the store)

Thanks a lot

Could you add one more:

How do I chose wich product will appear on the home page. (instead to have just the last one I add, to be abble to chose the mosty relevant one for the store)

Thanks a lot

Could you add one more:

Thanks a lot

The best way is to install one of the featured products contribution. There is also one that will allow you to display specials on the home page.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That's in the includes/header.php file. Open the file in an editor and search for either FILENAME_ACCOUNT or account.php. The symbol used should be right after it.

Jack

Thanks a lot Jack, i changed all the pipes in the header.php file (didn't find an account.php file though) and its still displaying a pipe, will check other header folders other contributions (STS) may have added

Where on this list is how to add pages? or better yet a links box?
There is a user Contribution called Dynamenu, i used this but had to strip a lot of code to get it doing what i needed, if you read this forums thread on this contribution you'll find useful info to making your own menu, it is however fairly complicated and not for a beginner imo

Thanks a lot Jack, i changed all the pipes in the header.php file (didn't find an account.php file though) and its still displaying a pipe, will check other header folders other contributions (STS) may have added

Resolved, the problem was indeed related to STS and not OSC, for anyone wondering (who has STS) the fix for this is in includes/modules/sts_inc/general.php on line 50

On product_info.php pages there is the Tell a Friend option. On other OScommerce shops I've seen that someone added a tekst right under the form. How does one do that?

For the rest it's working fine, but I'm looking my butt off and I can't find where to add the text. (I want to put something like Tell someone you know about this product. under the e-mail box).

Suggestions?

I am having a little bit of an issue with my buttons, they all appear as broken links on the pages and when I right click on the button and select 'show image' I get a 403 forbidden error. I have set the permissions on the buttons folder right and I am still not getting the images to show. I have looked at the script and verified and re-verified the paths to the buttons are set right but still get nothing. I am contemplating manually setting the link on the php file(s) just as a quick fix, for now because the pages are already live and we have short time to bring in revenue.

Also, I was having a permission issue with my configure.php files and kept getting the error 'can write to configure.php, please set the permissions', which i did and verified over and over, I even took out the write and execute permissions for owner but still got the error, my temp fix (risky but hey my go live date was not negotiable) was to set the check rule to false.

sorry for the rush typing, but if anyone got similar issue, wtd?

Thanks for looking.

EASY HOW TO CENTER & SIZE SHOP

At the very start of header.php add:

<div id="content">

then at the very bottom of footer.php add:

</div>

then add to your css:

#content {

width: 900; margin: auto;

border: 1px solid #999999;

text-align:center;

}

;)

I have followed this correctly, but my page is now all on the left with a big whitespace on the right hand side

Thanks for all the good advice. I have been able to make our site look better, but now after changing header.php, I get a message on the site:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home2/theunifo/public_html/cart/includes/header.php on line 57

When I correct that error, it says:

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home2/theunifo/public_html/cart/includes/application_top.php on line 312

Can you tell me what that means? Or how to change it so that we can work with our site again?

Thanks

Hi My name is Sue. I am a new member. I am nearing retirement and I am setting up my online craft shop. I find all of these items on this thread very helpful but..... When I find the file to change the text on the front page it is normally an application file and I get a little box asking me what program I wish it to open in. I have no idea. Perhaps you might like to take a look at the site and you will know what I need to change. The URL is www.crazycraftcubby.com.au. I thought that I was pretty smart getting this far but now I am stuck. Hope you more computer literate people out there can help. By the way this site is hosted by an external server if that makes any difference.My operating system is windows xp home edition.

Thanks for all the good advice. I have been able to make our site look better, but now after changing header.php, I get a message on the site:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home2/theunifo/public_html/cart/includes/header.php on line 57

When I correct that error, it says:

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home2/theunifo/public_html/cart/includes/application_top.php on line 312

Can you tell me what that means? Or how to change it so that we can work with our site again?

Thanks

Hi I have this message too. After fumbling around I thought I was onto the right path and when I actually changed some text on the front page This message came up. I am going to bed now I hope some one out there will help by morning.

Thanks in advance

A couple of tips for new posters to this thread:

1) There are all too many saying "I have looked for 'X' all through this thread" and obviously haven't!

There 32 basic tips in the first 3 posts, some with more than 1 option. Please read them carefully; the chances are the answer to your problem is there - you just missed by scanning faster than you can actually read!

2) Before making changes to any file use your FTP app to change the name of the working file in your shop from xxx.xxx to xxx.BAK. Load in the replacement and change the name to that of the working file and test it. If it works, no foul: If it doesn't you can just delete it and rename the working copy back to xxx.php :D

3) if you're altering .php commands or text load the original file from your HDD into Wordpad or Notepad Now you can alter it to your heart's content and not 'damage' either original downloaded or working file in your shop. When saving it back to your HDD it MUST be as a "text Document" in Wordpad or "Text Documents (*.txt) in Notepad. This prevents it containing 'hidden' embedded commands such as 'Rich Text' formatting commands which will only confuse php handling. Now you can upload it into the relevent folder in your shop, rename it to xxx.php and finally try it out.

When all else fails ... RTFI ... then ... GIVE UP!

A couple of tips for new posters to this thread:

1) There are all too many saying "I have looked for 'X' all through this thread" and obviously haven't!

There 32 basic tips in the first 3 posts, some with more than 1 option. Please read them carefully; the chances are the answer to your problem is there - you just missed by scanning faster than you can actually read!

2) Before making changes to any file use your FTP app to change the name of the working file in your shop from xxx.xxx to xxx.BAK. Load in the replacement and change the name to that of the working file and test it. If it works, no foul: If it doesn't you can just delete it and rename the working copy back to xxx.php :D

3) if you're altering .php commands or text load the original file from your HDD into Wordpad or Notepad Now you can alter it to your heart's content and not 'damage' either original downloaded or working file in your shop. When saving it back to your HDD it MUST be as a "text Document" in Wordpad or "Text Documents (*.txt) in Notepad. This prevents it containing 'hidden' embedded commands such as 'Rich Text' formatting commands which will only confuse php handling. Now you can upload it into the relevent folder in your shop, rename it to xxx.php and finally try it out.

Thanks for that Jan, What I really want to know is how do I fix it now I have messed it up I am not good with HTML coding at the best of times but it is exciting learning. What I need to do is just get past this front page text and I will be right.At the moment,all I can see is the Fatal Error message that is mentioned in the post above when I go into my site.There must be some coding that is either missing or incorrect. The part I altered is the first sentence.

Hi My name is Sue. I am a new member. I am nearing retirement and I am setting up my online craft shop. I find all of these items on this thread very helpful but..... When I find the file to change the text on the front page it is normally an application file and I get a little box asking me what program I wish it to open in. I have no idea. Perhaps you might like to take a look at the site and you will know what I need to change. The URL is www.crazycraftcubby.com.au. I thought that I was pretty smart getting this far but now I am stuck. Hope you more computer literate people out there can help. By the way this site is hosted by an external server if that makes any difference.My operating system is windows xp home edition.

You use a text editor to edit php files. There are free ones on the web that you can install.

Thanks for that Jan, What I really want to know is how do I fix it now I have messed it up I am not good with HTML coding at the best of times but it is exciting learning. What I need to do is just get past this front page text and I will be right.At the moment,all I can see is the Fatal Error message that is mentioned in the post above when I go into my site.There must be some coding that is either missing or incorrect. The part I altered is the first sentence.

As in my tirade: Reload the original 'Front Page' (catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php) onto your server via an FTP app for the moment as you've obviously screwed up something - we all do it at times. At least it'll give you a working page. You may have to check a number of index.php files as they're scattered throughout OsC in a number of folders! Now have another bash at it as described above.

Another tip: This time re. HTML ... Download a copy of TurboLister from eBay. It's not the best of its kind but what do you want from a WYSIWIG HTML compiler that costs nowt? Once you've got to grips with the method of designing the 'look and feel' of a web page you can switch to the 'HTML view' and learn some of the code involved.

Be advised ... although the code it generates tends to work, it isn't the most elegant or even compact way of implementing HTML and it's totally crap at XTML!

There is absolutely no reason to get a stand-alone text editor as there are 2 embedded in Windows - Wordpad and Notepad. As previously mentioned you just have to save in .txt format!

When all else fails ... RTFI ... then ... GIVE UP!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Ive never used this program before but have been tasked with helping a customer figure out some of his problems, was hoping someone on here could help me.

1) He says that in his database he has a sale_price section but it will not show up in any files i export or he exports. I did modify the easypopulate.php to include the new directory and now it shows up on the download page as a selectable option however I get this error message.

1054 - Unknown column 'p.products_sale_price' in 'field list'

SELECT p.products_id as v_products_id, p.products_model as v_products_model, p.products_status as v_status, p.products_price as v_products_price, p.products_quantity as v_products_quantity, p.products_weight as v_products_weight, p.products_image as v_products_image, p.products_sale_price as v_sale_price, p.sale_price as v_sale_price, p.manufacturers_id as v_manufacturers_id, p.products_date_available as v_date_avail, p.products_date_added as v_date_added, p.products_tax_class_id as v_tax_class_id, subc.categories_id as v_categories_id FROM products as p, categories as subc, products_to_categories as ptoc WHERE p.products_id = ptoc.products_id AND ptoc.categories_id = subc.categories_id

[TEP STOP]

at first it only gave this error when I selected the new sales tag but then I tried to modify some more of the file(down around line 1054 where it starts to list everything as p.products_xxx as v_xxx. After that it gives me the same error no matter which field i select. I am thinking this means that he does not actually have this category in his database but dont have access to check it.

2) I also need to be able to add $1(one dollar) per pound of the object onto the finale sales price. I need to be able to do this through both the regular checkout and the googlecheckout. I have seen some suggestions on the forums and will continue to search but am out of time today because of the first problem so I figured I would post it here and hope someone could give me a clearer explination on how to do this.

Thanks for your time.

Archived