Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatDadRick

Send Customer Password

I am looking for a method or contribution to send a customer a new password or a link to a working new password page. Anything like that around?

Thanks,

CatDadRick

I am looking for a method or contribution to send a customer a new password or a link to a working new password page. Anything like that around?

Thanks,

CatDadRick

This is already built into osCommerce through a link on the login page to catalog/password.php

Just between us, remember there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Remember, learning is a "do-it-yourself" experience; although, not necessarily a "do-it-BY-yourself" experience.

The quickest way to learn is to forget to BACKUP!

ComicWisdom, thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize that a customer can use the "Forgotten Password" link to generate a new password. What I'm looking for is a tool that will allow the Administrator to create a new password and send that to the customer or to at least generate the new password request on behalf of the customer. The customer may be always right but many of them are not so bright.

ComicWisdom, thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize that a customer can use the "Forgotten Password" link to generate a new password. What I'm looking for is a tool that will allow the Administrator to create a new password and send that to the customer or to at least generate the new password request on behalf of the customer. The customer may be always right but many of them are not so bright.

As our system is only for use by internal customers who are not always very computer savvy, I'm faced with this quite often. I usually just go to the log in page, click the Fogotten Password link and enter their email address in. This will send them a new password.

I would like to have the ability to assign passwords to accounts. Does Master Password allow this?

I would like to have the ability to assign passwords to accounts. Does Master Password allow this?

I don't have the master password mod installed, but I may eventually. Right now I have used a little trick to assign a password. This has several steps, but I only need it a couple times per year.

1. log in to admin and change the customers e-mail to your own.

2. go through the lost password process. You will now receive the new password from oscommerce.

3. log in as the customer with the new password and change it to whatever you want it to be.

4. go back to admin and change the e-mail back to the original.

5. notify customer of their new password.

I just installed Master Pass with Admin. It works very well and was an easy to install mod. The only drawbacks, and for me these are minor, the master password is not encrypted and, even though the installations instructions indicate the master password can be changed in Admin, it can't. Nothing is installed that would enable the password to be changed in admin. I use phpMyAdmin for DB management so I just changed the master password there.

Yes, this did work for me.

Thanks,

CatDadRick

even though the installations instructions indicate the master password can be changed in Admin, it can't. Nothing is installed that would enable the password to be changed in admin.

Admin panel: configuration/my store and then you should see it at the bottom of the page?

For others: essentially just allows you to log into the customers account easily using their email address and your master password.

I find it useful for helping customers in real time when they are trying to place an order and have forgotten their password and so want an instant solution (and so do I hehe!). Instantly change password and then ask them to log in with it and they can place order and then change password again.

Also some customers email a review and ask us to place it on site for them and so again this is used.

In the add master password mod there is this line of code:

// if ($password == "beconvinced4life" || $password == "beconvincednow4life") {

// end admin control alteration

What does this code do? It is already commented out, so why is it there?

Tim