• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Theme / Template System

RottNKorpse

I have used OSC ever since the release of "oscommerce-2.2ms2-060817" and I never noticed the incredible mess that the design of the software is in until recently when I went to install a template I got from TM and WOW what a freakin' mess!!!

I have done a search on this but I couldn't find a thread specifically for this so I decided to make one. This thread is a petition thread, no wait, a plea to the programmers of osCommerce to include some kind of template/theme system into the software. osCommerce is easily one of the best, if not the best, open source carts on the net but the enormous mess the designing is in lowers its quality quite a bit and if it had a template system then it could easy top them all.

Basically every file needs to be updated when installing or creating a new design and they are ALL spread-out with absolutely no visible order and inside each file you have to dig and search for what needs to be changed in order to get the look you want. Although it is possible for me to do this and for many others I am sure, the amount of hassle it takes is just not worth it AT ALL. I would honestly rather buy a commercial cart that has some kind of template system than to design and code for OSC...it is just that bad.

Now, I know there is bound to be some prick who will look at my posting this as an insult to osCommerce so I am going to go ahead and explain to them the point of this thread so they don't have to waste their time and mine with posting some generic crap like "if you don't like it so much why don't you go buy a commercial cart like you said?!?" I am not insulting the software or the programmers because I appreciate all the work they have done with this and especially because they released it as Open Source. I am simply making this thread to give my opinion on what they could do to improve their software further.

I am not going to just say something needs to be done and leave it at that I actually have a suggestion. Any system would be a good addition but I would suggest that the Smarty: Template Engine be added because it is very diverse and powerful yet simple to understand. I would even help implement it if needed.

smarty-logo-orange.gif

Smarty : http://smarty.php.net/

So to sum this up...anyone who wants to backup this opinion and try to get the osCommerce people to implement a template system please reply to this thread. I would have made a poll but I am not allowed to do so...so just reply with something like the following.

"My Template System vote is Yes"

I won't be a prick with a generic put down but I will say, you should completely check what you can do before totally disregarding it. I do agree that a template system could have been integrated and maybe one will be in V3.0. I'll be honest here, I haven't studied 3.0 enough to know if that is the case but I am sure it has been considered.

However, there is a couple of template systems available now, for the version you use - Simple Template System (STS) and Basic Template System (BTS). I've never used them because to tell you the truth, I don't think osC is very difficult to skin. As an example, I skinned a site for someone on here once, using their design, in about an hour. It was a simple design but nonetheless, easy to do.

As for TM, well they push and pull the code so much to make their templates fit, I can only assume it was while looking at their templates that you made the observation about messy code. Actually, if you had one of their templates, you wouldn't need to fit it around osC as they have the same installation files as a stock install.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=257053

+ yeah what HE said (Peter that is)

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

However, there is a couple of template systems available now, for the version you use - Simple Template System (STS) and Basic Template System (BTS). I've never used them because to tell you the truth, I don't think osC is very difficult to skin. As an example, I skinned a site for someone on here once, using their design, in about an hour. It was a simple design but nonetheless, easy to do.

I am sure it is easy once you spend a lot of time at it but initially it is quite messy and unorganized.

As for TM, well they push and pull the code so much to make their templates fit, I can only assume it was while looking at their templates that you made the observation about messy code. Actually, if you had one of their templates, you wouldn't need to fit it around osC as they have the same installation files as a stock install.

Yes I wouldnt have to make things fit if their stuff was actually up to date...the template I got was heavily outdated so I would have to revert to an older version of osc which I didnt want to. But no worries I did it just fine...I was just saying it would be a good idea for future purposes but I see that I am a few months late. :)

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=257053

+ yeah what HE said (Peter that is)

ahh good point...I didnt even see that post...maybe I would have been able to if the forum wasnt invested with "[bLOG]" posts. lol

Archived