• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Canada Post Ship Button (automatic shipping label)

natrium42

I made a module to do one-click shipping for Canada Post. It connects to Canada Post servers and requests a shipping label which can then be printed. All that is needed is a VentureOne account. The module works for domestic as well as for US and International shipments. It's similar to the FedEx Automated Labels module.

Screenshot: http://hera.divshare.com/s06/files/2007/08..._canadapost.png

Just wanted to see if there is any interest in this module. If there is, I will clean it up and put it up.

I made a module to do one-click shipping for Canada Post. It connects to Canada Post servers and requests a shipping label which can then be printed. All that is needed is a VentureOne account. The module works for domestic as well as for US and International shipments. It's similar to the FedEx Automated Labels module.

Screenshot: http://hera.divshare.com/s06/files/2007/08..._canadapost.png

Just wanted to see if there is any interest in this module. If there is, I will clean it up and put it up.

sounds incredible. please do clean and post!!! would love to use it.

OK, I also need to do some more testing. So far I have only tested small air packets. Trackable service options weren't tested yet. Once I do test them (Expedited, Xpresspost or maybe even Purolator), I will also add a feature to add the tracking number to the database and to send it to the customer.

Testing trackable packages is a bit pricey, because there is no test mode and the transaction with Canada Post has to be completed (i.e. I have to pay for the shipment) to receive the tracking number. Do you know if I can cancel trackable shipments from the Canada Post EST website? (Small packet orders do show up there, but I can't cancel them.) Otherwise, I will have to wait until I get an order...

Another question. For customs declaration I can either list all ordered products and their prices (or maybe adjusted prices...) or just use some predefined value. What's the best way? (BTW, my shop has additional fields for H/S code and short description for customs which can also be provided to Canada Post). I am thinking about adding both ways and a selector.

Not going to add multiple packages option, since I never use it. Somebody else could once I release the mod.

OK, I also need to do some more testing. So far I have only tested small air packets. Trackable service options weren't tested yet. Once I do test them (Expedited, Xpresspost or maybe even Purolator), I will also add a feature to add the tracking number to the database and to send it to the customer.

Testing trackable packages is a bit pricey, because there is no test mode and the transaction with Canada Post has to be completed (i.e. I have to pay for the shipment) to receive the tracking number. Do you know if I can cancel trackable shipments from the Canada Post EST website? (Small packet orders do show up there, but I can't cancel them.) Otherwise, I will have to wait until I get an order...

Another question. For customs declaration I can either list all ordered products and their prices (or maybe adjusted prices...) or just use some predefined value. What's the best way? (BTW, my shop has additional fields for H/S code and short description for customs which can also be provided to Canada Post). I am thinking about adding both ways and a selector.

Not going to add multiple packages option, since I never use it. Somebody else could once I release the mod.

hmm, it seems that it might not be so point and click. did not realize you would have to be so far deep into the Canada Post transaction in order to print the label. i think there is already a contribution to transfer the customer address etc... to Canada Post but i believe this is for the PC-based version (which no one can use unless they have a commercial account)

we often like to customize how we describe a package contents for customs. for example, we sell jewellery and cannot have a label that lists a jewellery item on it (for security purposes). we prefer to label this as handcrafted metalware....

so maybe your contribution will not be so workable for me...

Actually, I have a separate description field for customs for each product. Usually customs wants to have a clear description of what the product is instead of just the product's name, that's why I put it in. But it's a separate hack.

I can wire it up as needed, so I would like to collect ideas for different peoples requirements. It can very much be a one-click solution (but you're free to change any of the settings) as long all the information needed for the shipment is in your database (description for customs, weight, etc...).

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, thanks.

I have cleaned up and tested the module. Today I have shipped a dozen of orders with it to different countries (with and without tracking) and no problems so far.

The only thing remaining is writing the install manual.

If you would like to prepare for the module, make sure that you can ship via the on-line Electronic Shipping Tools. You do need a VentureOne account.

Hehe, thanks.

I have cleaned up and tested the module. Today I have shipped a dozen of orders with it to different countries (with and without tracking) and no problems so far.

The only thing remaining is writing the install manual.

If you would like to prepare for the module, make sure that you can ship via the on-line Electronic Shipping Tools. You do need a VentureOne account.

thanks

message me if you want me to test run it. My store isn't open yet, but I have to do a few mailings to test out my packaging anyway. Got Venture One, just need that elusive module. :) Glad to help if I can.

D

Edited by terminalcity

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Alexei,

I am finally at the point where I'm testing your module. I know it works fine as I tried it about a month ago, but now I have the register_globals=off mod installed and it's choking on that. any hints on which variable would be affected by not having resister globals on?

Thanks in advance

Daniel