• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help me configure shipping charges

MediaHound

Hi,

I need help configuring my shipping charges!

This is for a store selling dry aquarium goods, as well as livestock.

And that's where it gets tricky. :blink:

Dry goods should go by a pricing table (see below).

Livestock should cost $55 to ship up to 3 livestock items.

And we want to offer the ability to overnight livestock if the destination is Florida for $17 instead of $55. (but that's the least of my problems right now)

Our shipping fees for dry goods are as follows:

Order totals Shipping Charge

0-$30.00 $7.25

$30.01-$60.00 $8.25

$60.01-$100.00 $9.99

$100.01-$175.00 $11.99

Over $175 $13.99

so I created the "Table Rate" array:

30:7.25,60:8.25,100:9.99,175:11.99:175:13.99

I have created a tax class under Locations / Taxes -> Tax Classes and called it "Livestock"

And I've gone in the database and updated all the livestock items with this new tax class, all livestock products_tax_class_id went from 0 to 2

However, at checkout, it's not forcing livestock with the $55 and the dry goods to use the table of rates,

rather, the site is giving the buyer the choice to pay $7.25 or $55 when he wants to checkout with some livestock in the cart

So my question is:

How can I set this shop up to force the livestock surcharge WHILE STILL charging the table rate for the drygoods?

Should I create a new tax class for "DryGoods" and update all the dry products to be in this new tax class?

And then assign the table rate to that class?

I have already setup a flat rate that assigns a $55 for tax class: Livestock

If someone can shed some light on this for, that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

I hope someone who's familiar with setting up challenging shipping rates will be able to suggest the proper way I should set my shop.

I have a feeling I might need to mod my installation to honor these out of the ordinary shipping rules.

Thank you so much!

this is a very complicated shipping module that will need several modules that enable/disable automaticall on certain conditions.

Important quick hint: while it seemed nice to use the tax as it was there, you cannot do that. The tax is used throughout the shopping cart for various calculations and things will get messed up. For grouping your items, use a contrib like "additional manufacturers"

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Thank you Monika, I appreciate your reply.

I had a feeling I was totally off the mark trying to do it with taxes.

I'm researching this mod as well:

Multi Vendor Shipping MVS http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4129

I'll have a look at "additional manufacturers" as well if you think thats a better choice.

Thanks again

Having worked with MVS before (and deeply hacked it too), I can confirm you definitely do not need it. You can achieve your shipping plan with the additional manufacturer, a few new functions and like 4 conventional shipping modules that have conditions. Keep your code lean and clean.

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

ok ok good info... I'll steer clear of MVS

I wonder what else I'll need to do, though, aside from additional manufacturers... you say that's not all that must be done?

I'll need new functions written from scratch?

Call me what you will but I cannot locate anything with the name "additional manufacturers"... I found some similar ones but they don't seem to apply to what we're trying to accomplish. Has it any other alias?

Thanks again

Monika

ok ok good info... I'll steer clear of MVS

I wonder what else I'll need to do, though, aside from additional manufacturers... you say that's not all that must be done?

I'll need new functions written from scratch?

sorry, overlooked this one.

the new functions would loop through your cart and react depending on the content.

there would be the info for you whether it was a mixed cart (live and dry), whether the live count was equal or less than 3 etc etc. Depending on this info, you'd show certain modules. Of course, if you want to handle live and dry stock completely independently and do not have a plan/charge for sending them both together (mixed carts), then MVS would be an option. Did I really say that?

Monika

Archived