• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Aus Post returning incorrect postage rates

HI all.

I posted this problem at the end of another thread, although if someone else out there is having the same problem it would probably be more help to start a new thread.

Basically after a lot of headache I got the Australian shipping module 3.0 to work. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,648

(After much searching it was discovered I had weights set in kg instead of grams!)

Now it is working properly although the prices that are being returned are too low.

Example:

AusPOST Parcel Post

Delivery to 3337 - 1 days Estimated Delivery Time*

1 boxes 1.02kg(s) $6.09

Whereas when I check online through the Aus post site the correct postage should be $6.70

The same happens with other weights as well. The rates I am getting through the store are always between 50 cents and up to $5 short, depending on the prices.

In my shipping configuration I have

TARE = 0

LARGER PACKAGES PERCENTAGE INCREASE = 0

In the Aus post mod I have no handeling fee set.

The product dimensions are 100 x 100 x 100 (although I have tried changing these to 600 x 600 x 10 which is my general parcel size but still no change)

My item weights are now correctly set in Grms, so general weight is .300

I have no tax set up, so in the Aus post module I have --None-- set as the Tax class.

I think that is pretty much all the info which could relate.

I had an idea of adding say a handeling fee of $5 or similar, but that would charge it automatically on all parcels and it would probably be overkill on most, and I would lose too much on the larger parcels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched these forums as well as the snowtech ones but haven't come across the same problem.

Cheers

Fiona

HI all.

I posted this problem at the end of another thread, although if someone else out there is having the same problem it would probably be more help to start a new thread.

Basically after a lot of headache I got the Australian shipping module 3.0 to work. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,648

(After much searching it was discovered I had weights set in kg instead of grams!)

Now it is working properly although the prices that are being returned are too low.

Example:

AusPOST Parcel Post

Delivery to 3337 - 1 days Estimated Delivery Time*

1 boxes 1.02kg(s) $6.09

Whereas when I check online through the Aus post site the correct postage should be $6.70

The same happens with other weights as well. The rates I am getting through the store are always between 50 cents and up to $5 short, depending on the prices.

In my shipping configuration I have

TARE = 0

LARGER PACKAGES PERCENTAGE INCREASE = 0

In the Aus post mod I have no handeling fee set.

The product dimensions are 100 x 100 x 100 (although I have tried changing these to 600 x 600 x 10 which is my general parcel size but still no change)

My item weights are now correctly set in Grms, so general weight is .300

I have no tax set up, so in the Aus post module I have --None-- set as the Tax class.

I think that is pretty much all the info which could relate.

I had an idea of adding say a handeling fee of $5 or similar, but that would charge it automatically on all parcels and it would probably be overkill on most, and I would lose too much on the larger parcels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched these forums as well as the snowtech ones but haven't come across the same problem.

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona

You need to implement Australian GST (new tax rate in osc) and apply it to ALL aust post modules.

You should also put in a tare weight to cover the weight of the packaging. Since you ship different size goods, you should set an above average for your packaging eg if av is 0.175, set 0.2

I set the max that you ship to 20 last night. Don't think I did anything else.

Yeah, I will put in a tare weight. I'll also add a handeling fee to cover the packaging. I sell stuff with very little profit margin so I cant afford to lose out on postage!

Trying to work out the GST thing now... Does that mean I would need to change all my item listings to include tax? As I currently dont have them including tax.

Can't work out GST.

I created a new Tax class and called it GST

Then I created a new Tax Rate and also called that GST with a value of 10%

Then I went and told all the Aus Post modules to use GST but no joy..

Damn, this thing hates me!

Can't work out GST.

I created a new Tax class and called it GST

Then I created a new Tax Rate and also called that GST with a value of 10%

Then I went and told all the Aus Post modules to use GST but no joy..

Damn, this thing hates me!

In admin

Tax Zones - insert a new one - select Australia - select all zones

Tax Classes - insert a new tax class - call it Australian GST - description 10% of the nett price

Tax Raates - insert new tax rate - select Australian GST - select Australian Zones - Tax Rate % 10.0000 - description Australian GST - priority 1

Hopefully, that will do it for you.

Nope.

This is stupid.

Does t matter that in all my product listings I dont charge Tax on them?

No. This is only taxing the shipping. See if it works now (minor changes made)

Hmm no. Its still saying $4.55 when it should say $5.00...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. Is it time for me to go insane now?

Yes I think it is. I just installed the tax module in order totoal. See if that helps, if not remove it.

Nope.

Damn. Could it be a line in some code somewhere? Something with the database?

Hmm... I might have to try and think of different solutions...

crap.

Now I can't stay log into the front end of the store, when I put in my email addy and password and hit log in it just goes back to the front page and doesnt stay logged in....

Nope.

Damn. Could it be a line in some code somewhere? Something with the database?

Hmm... I might have to try and think of different solutions...

Put this on hold for a while. Have to think about this some more.

Try working on the configure.php files

Yeah I think you are right. This is driving me batty!

Now I have to solve the problem of not logging in. I think its a job for tomorrow.

No ones come up with any ideas have they?

I'm almost ready to make this site go live but I gotta fox this postage headache!

No, not yet. Have you fixed the configure.php files and done your payment options yet?

Yep to both.

Payment options are all sorted.

Just trying to fix a small hiccup in the seperate pricing per customer mod. I think I have that sorted though.

Going through all the language files and changing wording and replacing all the default images now.

I am not going to go through the whole catalogue and change all the weights from grams to kilos just yet. In case I have to go back to my old postage method.

Yep to both.

Payment options are all sorted.

Just trying to fix a small hiccup in the seperate pricing per customer mod. I think I have that sorted though.

Going through all the language files and changing wording and replacing all the default images now.

I am not going to go through the whole catalogue and change all the weights from grams to kilos just yet. In case I have to go back to my old postage method.

Well, it would not matter, you just make the adjustment at the shipping module.

Maybe try adding GST to one product and see if that fixes it. I think that you need to have GST included anyway for taxation.

Otherwise, I don't see why it isn't calculating the price correctly. I don't know enough about code to get the module to increase the returned price by 10%.

Yeah I might try that. I gave it a go last night. But it didn't work. It also made my prices showing the before tax price but never actually adding on the 10%.. I'll keep searching.

Well at least I know I can start going through each item and changin the weight. Damn, thats going to be a big job. I have over 200 products! Ahhh

Yeah I might try that. I gave it a go last night. But it didn't work. It also made my prices showing the before tax price but never actually adding on the 10%.. I'll keep searching.

Well at least I know I can start going through each item and changin the weight. Damn, thats going to be a big job. I have over 200 products! Ahhh

All you need to do is set the tax class, you already have the nett price, and osc will calculate the gross.

Blimey! You got it. once again Coopco you have solved it!

Okay heres what I did:

Set my 'retail' customer group to show prices with tax, and set 'tax exempt' to NO

Went into my 'My Store' configuration and set the prices to show 'with tax'

Set the Tax class on an item to 'australian gst'

Whoo hoo! Now the correct prices are showing.

Only problem is all my items are now 10% too expensive. So thats another thing I'll have to change...

Thanks mate, you seriously are awesome.

Blimey! You got it. once again Coopco you have solved it!

Okay heres what I did:

Set my 'retail' customer group to show prices with tax, and set 'tax exempt' to NO

Went into my 'My Store' configuration and set the prices to show 'with tax'

Set the Tax class on an item to 'australian gst'

Whoo hoo! Now the correct prices are showing.

Only problem is all my items are now 10% too expensive. So thats another thing I'll have to change...

Thanks mate, you seriously are awesome.

That is great news that you got it working.

Maybe there is a contrib for wholesale customers?

yeah I installed the Seperate Price per customer, so I have wholesale aswell as retail prices. I was just testing the tax thing in the retail group.

Cool. I am very happy now. I can go to bed now!

But thanks a bunch Coopco, I have learnt a whole lot about Oscommerce (and how to make it work) through trying to fix this problem, and I really appreciate your help!

You rock!

I have finally gone through and changed all my products pricing to include GST and set the proper weights.

It is all working perfetcly for my 'retail' group - 'wholesale' and 'Loyal customers' groups it is still retrning the wrong prices, but thats because of the seperate price per customer contribution I think. It doesnt seem to allow for tax on seperate groups. Thats no problem anyway, I only have a couple of wholesale customers and the Loyal customers can have a few dollars off..

My international options aren't working though. I get no errors, just no shipping options appear in the checkout. I am looking into it now... But if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be cool..

Oh and when I go right through the checkout with an international address but no postage, the prices show up as before tax, so they are all about $2 too cheap.. hmm

Edited by aussieskin

I have finally gone through and changed all my products pricing to include GST and set the proper weights.

It is all working perfetcly for my 'retail' group - 'wholesale' and 'Loyal customers' groups it is still retrning the wrong prices, but thats because of the seperate price per customer contribution I think. It doesnt seem to allow for tax on seperate groups. Thats no problem anyway, I only have a couple of wholesale customers and the Loyal customers can have a few dollars off..

My international options aren't working though. I get no errors, just no shipping options appear in the checkout. I am looking into it now... But if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be cool

The shipping zones for international need to be set at rest of the world in the international modules (Austpost air etc).

Edited by Coopco