• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contribution that allows for two sets of categories?

I'm doing a web site for a jeweler who wants to categorize jewelry in two ways: by material (gold, silver, diamond, pearl, etc.) and by type of jewelry (earring, necklace, ring, etc.). We want to list both sets of categories on the left-hand side of the page where there is a single category listing now. Maybe it would work by adding an attribute to the product, similar to the manufacturer. Is there a contribution that would allow for this?

You could make some code that replicates what the manufacturer code does. That would be best, but I don't know how to do it.

Here's an easy/fast option. You should be able to just link products into separate catagories. Like this

By Material:

Gold

Necklaces

Item A

Item B

Rings

Item C

Item D

Silver

Necklaces

Item E

Item F

Rings

Item G

Item H

By Type

Necklaces

Gold

Item A

Item B

Silver

Item E

Item F

Rings

Gold

Item C

Item D

Silver

Item G

Item H

So if you went to the Item A page, the bread crumbs would either be

By Material >> Gold >> Necklaces >> Item A

or

By type >> Necklaces >> Gold >> Item A

You can use the Multiple Products Manager to connect (link) all the products to mulitple locations, quick and easy. When they're linked, it's easier to update the products.

You can also do a search of your store with the Quick Find. Search for "Gold." This will give a result of all the products with gold in the title. You can copy the URL of the search result to make a link on the home page. You can repeat this with "gold necklace" and so on. I used to this option to make links to related items, until I installed the Optional Related Products contrib.

And you could use attributes to combine items. So Item A and Item E would be the same item, just with a material choice.

So many choices! Have Fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you can do it. Off the top of my head I'd suggest duplicating the categories box under a different name. Call the new box in column_left.php and modify the SQL query in each box to pull the categories by hardcoded category_id.

That 'should' work.

linking the products in additional categories is the most flexible solution, but it is difficult to tell if you have all the necessary links.

It does allow you to create a third/fourth category navigation scheme should the need arrise (eg by color).

There is also a manufacturer 2 contribution that basically duplicates the manufacturer functionality to use for another field like material.

It might need some tweaking to say Material but that should not be that hard.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2634

The advantage for this approach is that you can add it immediately when adding the product in the admin, or enhance easy populate to include this field. Bulk maintenance of additional category links I think is a bit more tricky.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt