• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager II

Timed out on editing my reply - here is my actual response:

The page you mentioned is for displaying link categories. Links shouldn't show there, Your links are showing fine on a page like this one.

How are they displaying fine on the links pages? Can *you* click the links? I can't! Again, the names show up, but the links are *not* clickable.

To clarify again: links.php is displaying the categories correctly, and the links are clickable. But once you click on the individual categories, the tables show up with names, but without clickable links. The code has to be in the links.php file, right? I see nowhere else it can be.

Also, a more minor point - your code broke my SEO. :-(

Thanks for any help.

Do you have Display Link Title as links set to True in your Admin?

Yes, your URL rewriter is making ugly links. They still seem to work, so it's not as much of a problem as the non-links on the page.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

How are they displaying fine on the links pages? Can *you* click the links? I can't! Again, the names show up, but the links are *not* clickable.

Also, a more minor point - your code broke my SEO. :-(

You're original post said the links weren't showing up and then you gave a url for the links category page. That is what I responded to. The problem you are having is in the links page. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is that you have the option to make it a link turned off in the settings.

How is it that it broke your SEO?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You're original post said the links weren't showing up and then you gave a url for the links category page. That is what I responded to. The problem you are having is in the links page. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is that you have the option to make it a link turned off in the settings.

How is it that it broke your SEO?

Thanks to both of you. Yes, the database updates reset that links display option. Thank you for pointing it out. Now it's working fine.

As far as the SEO rewriter, I have Chemo's SEO URLs installed. They work great everywhere else in the site and did work great on your old links contrib. Here is the .htaccess code, or at least some of it:

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

The Title field isn't populating correctly (web page title). I'm wondering why. Thanks again.

As far as the SEO rewriter, I have Chemo's SEO URLs installed. They work great everywhere else in the site and did work great on your old links contrib. Here is the .htaccess code, or at least some of it:

You need to update to Ultimate SEO V2.2d.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

You need to update to Ultimate SEO V2.2d.

Okay... why? I have a large and complex site structure running an old, heavily-edited version of OSC (1.1). If I update that piece, it may be like adding a new part onto an old car - the old structure won't handle it, and I'll end up spending countless hours updating something I hardly use anymore.

I updated your contrib only because it never worked right, but people were clicking on the links, so I thought I might try to update and maybe monetize it a bit. I've already spent waaaaay more time than I could afford on it. All I want to do is to make the SEO work the way it did on the old version. Is it that complicated? Has the code changed that much?

Okay... why? I have a large and complex site structure running an old, heavily-edited version of OSC (1.1). If I update that piece, it may be like adding a new part onto an old car - the old structure won't handle it, and I'll end up spending countless hours updating something I hardly use anymore.

I updated your contrib only because it never worked right, but people were clicking on the links, so I thought I might try to update and maybe monetize it a bit. I've already spent waaaaay more time than I could afford on it. All I want to do is to make the SEO work the way it did on the old version. Is it that complicated? Has the code changed that much?

If you want to have the url's rewritten properly, you need to upgrade.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Right click on the missing image and see what the path is. Maybe you didn't add the required images directory or didn't set its permissions correctly.

Ok, I figured it out. My stupid %$#^%# winzip doesn't unzip empty folders, so I never created the catalog/images/links_manager_uploads directory. Now that I created it, link images load correctly. Whee!

However, working on the categories, it seems that uploading an image for a category will put it into the catalog/images folder, while when trying to display the category image, it looks for it in the catalog/images/links_manager_uploads/images (which doesn't exist by default, nor would it). It seems there may be a typo in the categories image calling line that looks in the wrong directory and the upload routine puts it in the wrong place anyway?

Ok, I figured it out. My stupid %$#^%# winzip doesn't unzip empty folders, so I never created the catalog/images/links_manager_uploads directory. Now that I created it, link images load correctly. Whee!

However, working on the categories, it seems that uploading an image for a category will put it into the catalog/images folder, while when trying to display the category image, it looks for it in the catalog/images/links_manager_uploads/images (which doesn't exist by default, nor would it). It seems there may be a typo in the categories image calling line that looks in the wrong directory and the upload routine puts it in the wrong place anyway?

The directory is hard-coded in the files and is working fine when I test it. The code does use the configure file settings to determine the images directory but if that was wrong it should just fail completley so I don't have any suggestions for you.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The directory is hard-coded in the files and is working fine when I test it. The code does use the configure file settings to determine the images directory but if that was wrong it should just fail completley so I don't have any suggestions for you.

Tell me again where the configure file is?

I also noticed that the featured link box in column right wants to show a link image, even if I have turned off link images in the configuration. It fails to show the image in any case and right-clicking on the image link shows that it wants to find it in the catalog directory!

I don't know why all the directory paths for images would be so jumbled. I didn't change anything in this mod, all other aspects of the store work, and all other aspects of this mod work...

If you want to have the url's rewritten properly, you need to upgrade.

I will look into doing that when/if I get the time.

In the meantime, do you know why my installations fails to successfully read the links? As in, at admin interface, links.php, clicking on a link brings up correct info in the sidebar (except Link Located), but when I press Check Link, I get Link Check Result: Error Reading URL? This despite it showing that it is able to locate the site?

Thanks,

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

I will look into doing that when/if I get the time.

In the meantime, do you know why my installations fails to successfully read the links? As in, at admin interface, links.php, clicking on a link brings up correct info in the sidebar (except Link Located), but when I press Check Link, I get Link Check Result: Error Reading URL? This despite it showing that it is able to locate the site?

No, I don't know why it would do that. Perhpas the link is invalid in some way?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if you'd addressed the issue brought up in posts 925-930 in the last update from February?

Only in links_submit.php, the 'Back' button takes me to the 404 error page (even when I hover over it) instead of links.php.

Strangely, this is only in IE, and not FF or Chrome. I have your Header Tags and USU5 installed.

The 'Back' button in links.php when you're looking at links works fine. Should I just copy the code for the 'Back' button

from links.php to links_submit.php, or might there be something else going on?

Thanks

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if you'd addressed the issue brought up in posts 925-930 in the last update from February?

Only in links_submit.php, the 'Back' button takes me to the 404 error page (even when I hover over it) instead of links.php.

Strangely, this is only in IE, and not FF or Chrome. I have your Header Tags and USU5 installed.

The 'Back' button in links.php when you're looking at links works fine. Should I just copy the code for the 'Back' button

from links.php to links_submit.php, or might there be something else going on?

The was a fix for the back code in V 1.29. If you are not using that version then you should update. Otherwise, try turing off SEO 5 to see if that fixes the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I had actually upgraded to v1.29 in v2.2RC2a and I just did a file compare to make sure that links_submit.php is the right one. I'm pretty sure that it's installed correctly as everything else works fine. Even turning USU5 off, I'm still having the back button problem only in IE. Is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

<?php $back = sizeof($navigation->path)-2;
					   if (isset($navigation->path[$back])) {
				    ?>
	            <td><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link($navigation->path[$back]['page']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>
 				    <?php } else { ?>
	            <td><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>
				    <?php } ?>

If I were to just take out the navigation part and hard code this button to links.php, would that cause any problems?

I had actually upgraded to v1.29 in v2.2RC2a and I just did a file compare to make sure that links_submit.php is the right one. I'm pretty sure that it's installed correctly as everything else works fine. Even turning USU5 off, I'm still having the back button problem only in IE. Is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

If I were to just take out the navigation part and hard code this button to links.php, would that cause any problems?

I can't think of anything else. You can hard-code it and it won't cause any problems. Just remember that if you update to a later version at some point, you may have to hard-code it again.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello

Thank you for this great job.

I install the latest version for 2.31 ​​and everything is ok.

But in admin, when I add a category and I load an image for this category, the image is loaded into catalog ==> images / myImage.jpg.

But on client side, when I am in the links, the category is there but no image, just the replacement text.

When I search property of the image, the path is catalog / images / links_manager_uploads / images / myImage.jpg.

So no image.

Why?

I've forgotten something?

Thank you

Francois

Hello

Thank you for this great job.

I install the latest version for 2.31 ​​and everything is ok.

But in admin, when I add a category and I load an image for this category, the image is loaded into catalog ==> images / myImage.jpg.

But on client side, when I am in the links, the category is there but no image, just the replacement text.

When I search property of the image, the path is catalog / images / links_manager_uploads / images / myImage.jpg.

So no image.

If the path is correct and the image is present but it doesn't show, you will need to contact your host to see what the problem is since something in your account is preventing it from showing.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If the path is correct and the image is present but it doesn't show, you will need to contact your host to see what the problem is since something in your account is preventing it from showing.

Hello

excuse my bad englih.

The path is good and I am in local test

In admin when I load image for category, the path is in catalog==>"images".

On Client side the path is not good, not in "images"

so in catalog==>links.php

ligne 201

there is

echo tep_link_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $categories['link_categories_image'], $categories['link_categories_name'], SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_WIDTH, SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '<br>';

if I change to

echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $categories['link_categories_image'], $categories['link_categories_name'], SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_WIDTH, SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '<br>';

All is good and on client side the path of category image is in catalog==>"images".

Francois

• 4 weeks later...

German Welcome Email

Hi all - firstly, what a great contribution!

I've installed this contrib onto my German website, but have found that there are some German translations missing.

I was wondering if someone could help complete them?

The Welcome Email & Help is unfortunately still in English;

File: /includes/languages/german/links_submit.php

define('EMAIL_SUBJECT', 'Welcome to ' . STORE_NAME . ' link exchange.');
define('EMAIL_SUBJECT_EDIT', 'Your link at ' . STORE_NAME . ' has been edited.');
define('EMAIL_GREET_NONE', 'Dear %s' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_WELCOME', 'We welcome you to the <b>' . STORE_NAME . '</b> link exchange program.' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_TEXT', 'Your link has been successfully submitted at ' . STORE_NAME . '. It will reviewed and enabled as soon as the changes have been approved. You will receive an email about the status of your update. If you have not received it within the next 48 hours, please contact us before submitting your link again.' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_TEXT_EDIT', 'Your link has been edited and resubmitted at ' . STORE_NAME . '. It will be added to our listing as soon as we approve it. You will receive an email about the status of your submittal within that time frame. However, if you have not received it within the next 48 hours, please contact us before submitting your link again.' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_CONTACT', 'For help with our link exchange program, please email the store-owner: ' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '.' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_WARNING', '<b>Note:</b> This email address was given to us during a link submittal. If this is incorrect, please send an email to ' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '.' . "\n");
define('EMAIL_OWNER_SUBJECT', 'Link submittal at ' . STORE_NAME);
define('EMAIL_OWNER_TEXT', 'A new link was <b>submitted</b> at ' . STORE_NAME . ' by %s for %s.' . "\n\n" . 'The reciprocal link has been verified and is at %s.' . "\n\n" . 'It is not yet approved. Please verify this link and activate.' . "\n\n");
define('EMAIL_OWNER_TEXT_EDIT', 'A link has been <b>edited</b> on ' . STORE_NAME . ' by %s for %s.' . "\n\n" . '%s' . 'The reciprocal link has been verified and is at %s.' . "\n\n" . 'It is not yet approved. Please verify this link and activate.' . "\n\n");

define('TEXT_LINKS_HELP_LINK', ' Help [?]');

define('HEADING_LINKS_HELP', 'Links Help');
define('TEXT_LINKS_HELP', '<b>Site Title:</b> A descriptive title for your website.<br><br><b>URL:</b> The absolute web address of your website, including the \'http://\'.<br><br><b>Category:</b> Most appropriate category under which your website falls.<br><br><b>Suggest a Category:</b> Offer a suggestion for a link category if you cannot find one that suits your site.<br><br><b>Description:</b> A brief description of your website.<br><br><b>Image URL:</b> The absolute URL of the image you wish to submit, including the \'http://\'. This image will be displayed along with your website link.<br>Eg: http://your-domain.com/path/to/your/image.gif <br><br><b>Full Name:</b> Your full name.<br><br><b>Email:</b> Your email address. Please enter a valid email, as you will be notified via email.<br><br><b>Reciprocal Page:</b> The absolute URL of your links page, where a link to our website will be listed/displayed.<br>Eg: http://your-domain.com/path/to/your/links_page.php');
define('TEXT_CLOSE_WINDOW',     '<u>Fenster schliessen</u> [x]');

Thanks in advance! B)

I've installed this contrib onto my German website, but have found that there are some German translations missing.

I was wondering if someone could help complete them?

I can't help with that, due to not knowing the language. Normally you should always ask contribution-speciifc questions in its support thread. But in this case, you will probably get a quicker response if you post in the general forum and ask for a language translation, not mentioning the contribution since that wouldn't matter. You could also use google to translate the text.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

I have links manager installed on 4 sites, two 2.2 and two 2.3.1.

I directed a potential link partner to all four sites submit links pages and she went there but said she could not get it to take the info.

I tried to enter her link info manually and when "updating" the page showed it was processing but it eventually timed out with an SQL error message. This occurred on all 4 sites.

Checking the admin side, ****/links.php her site was there but I could not "click" it, thus not edit it and such. I could select the other link parners though.

Also, When from admin running links_status.php, that page as well appeared to be processing (web browser showing it was working), but it just did that, and did not show the results.

I had to manually remover her link infom from phpmyadmin because I could not delete it from the admin side.

After deletion, links_status.php ran fine.

I entered a "test" link manually of another site, and that went fine. But this lady's site just seems to jam things up.

Her site is a valid operating site, and the reciprocal links she set up for my sites are valid.

Peculiar. Any ideas on the cause??

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Her site is a valid operating site, and the reciprocal links she set up for my sites are valid.

Peculiar. Any ideas on the cause??

Not really. The code will try to connect to the site to make sure the link is valid so I suppose it is hanging on her site for some reason. I've seen some sites where the header returned was invalid so it may be something like that. If you would like to PM me the sites url, the sites link page url and the keyword you are looking for, I will test it here and try to find the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've installed this contribution but I seem to get an error on the client side saying:

"Warning: Division by zero in /home/......./public_html/catalog/links.php on line 195

Warning: Division by zero in /home/......../public_html/catalog/links.php on line 241"

Any ideas?

Hi,

I've installed this contribution but I seem to get an error on the client side saying:

"Warning: Division by zero in /home/......./public_html/catalog/links.php on line 195

Warning: Division by zero in /home/......../public_html/catalog/links.php on line 241"

Any ideas?

No, I've never ran across that before. I can't look it up since you didn't state your version (both Links Manager and ocommerce) but my guess is that some field is missing for that link.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons