• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Checkout Template Layout Problem!

mystifier_uk

You're welcome, can you tell me what you did to get the error. Did you just click the button, or did you enter the login information and click google checkout?

That's the thing I tried to warn you about with this. This module you are using is the officially Google module for OSC that is release by Google. The code from Google for this checkout changes constantly without notice from Google. Thus making this not work half the time and not knowing it. The one puggybelle is probably using is the IPN verison of GC which is not endorsed by Google and it's just the payment processor. That's why I recommended not using this until the code is stable I wouldn't use this and I would explain that to your client. They would probably much rather use something that is going to work, then not work and turn away customers. I lost a couple thousands of dollars a month using this because it didn't work half the time because Google kept changing the code.

Search the forum and contributions before posting. If that doesn't work, keep looking, then post. The forum is for seeking help and advice NOT for someone to do your work for you. Try to do something on your on, if you are going to run a shop then learn how it works.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the problems. I was going to install it sometime, basically because most of the major retailers are using it now. It seemed that if you did not have it customers would go to a merchant who did have it. But after reading this i will put it on the backburner for now at least. Probably nothing worse to piss your customers off than not being able to pay for the goods, or page crashes or some other technical problem. They don't care if its Googles fault, to them its your fault, they will think your site is crap and shop somewhere else. I've seen others fretting over the contribution hopefully many will see this posting.

The CNET feedback sort of drives the message home.

Just let me say though, The whole GC is a great idea and I hope in the feature it will become a must have for carts. Just as of right now I wouldn't even mess with it. Look at the contribution page in which this came from. Look at home many updates are on there in just a year. Of course they are not going to charge you for it right now because it is still in development. You can't compete with these big retailers anyway who have Google developers that are installing this on those sites. Let them be the lab rats for this. Once they figure out the bugs and it has a stable code then jump on it. I hope this does get working soon because I am sure it will get rave reviews once it is stable and I am sure all of our sales will go up from it. Until then I would trash it and not be a lab rat for Google's development.

Search the forum and contributions before posting. If that doesn't work, keep looking, then post. The forum is for seeking help and advice NOT for someone to do your work for you. Try to do something on your on, if you are going to run a shop then learn how it works.

And what do you mean by debug the tables? :)

inside of your design is used tables, see the empty shopping cart issue:

http://www.myonlineimages.com/serveFile.aspx?af=12956

some black boxes???

In addition to my post above just read the review from customers and merchants who have use google checkout. More cons then pro. Not many people like it, trash it.

Google Checkout Reviews

Personally I will rate 10 points out of 10 Google Checkout, as I have so far no problems, the installation is easy.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

inside of your design is used tables, see the empty shopping cart issue:

http://www.myonlineimages.com/serveFile.aspx?af=12956

some black boxes???

Personally I will rate 10 points out of 10 Google Checkout, as I have so far no problems, the installation is easy.

The GC you're using only assumes the customer is redirected to the cart after adding an item. This is a marketing no no and has been discussed before because you don't get add on sales. If the customer never goes to the cart they will never have the opportunity to user GC. The version you are using yes it easy to install but it has major bugs. Does that version you use Send orders to your OSC Admin orders page? Does it calculate real time shipping? Does it properly add tax, Gift Cards, Discount Coupons? I think I can answer this for you and the answer is No. I think you'll find if you try to do a complete checkout with your normal module you will get errors. Also the reviews are not jsut from merchants, they are from customers. Are you sure you are getting all your orders? Also how long have you been using it? Not long seeing Level 2 was just released recently. Give it time, you will trash it as well.

Regarding the no match for email address or password in login.php....that's where you need to insert a closing </form> tag right above where the Google Checkout code begins. At present, your GC button is not pointing to GC.

So the last line above the GC code reads as:

</table></form>
<?php
// ** GOOGLE CHECKOUT **

Sorry about that last post of mine. I was thinking of something else. Actually, I was thinking of this...with a little confusion thrown in for good measure. :)

I had the identical problem with the same error message until I put the </form> tag in.

Little FYI for Nick: I AM using the GC version endorsed by Google and promoted on their web pages.

Version google-checkout-oscommerce-v1.3RC2rev2

And my orders show up in Admin just fine. :)

Little FYI for Nick: I AM using the GC version endorsed by Google and promoted on their web pages.

Version google-checkout-oscommerce-v1.3RC2rev2

And my orders show up in Admin just fine. :)

Link Please?

Regarding the no match for email address or password in login.php....that's where you need to insert a closing </form> tag right above where the Google Checkout code begins. At present, your GC button is not pointing to GC.

So the last line above the GC code reads as:

</table></form>
<?php
// ** GOOGLE CHECKOUT **

Sorry about that last post of mine. I was thinking of something else. Actually, I was thinking of this...with a little confusion thrown in for good measure. :)

I had the identical problem with the same error message until I put the </form> tag in.

If you put the </form> tag before the GC code how are you going to close the button action? Even the lastest BUG fix for this contribution from the link at the top of the page even says this.

The form tag is perfect where you have it.

Nick: I'm simply telling Michael what I had to do to point my Google Checkout button on the login page to Google. I had to insert a </form> tag before the Google code begins. Whether or not it will work for Michael? Who the hell knows...

As for a link.

A link to what? My website?

Click Here

The order is logged in Admin. The stock quantity is subtracted and the buyer's shopping cart is emptied.

I conduct all changes of order status from Admin and never have to visit my Google Merchant account to do a thing. Google deposits the funds in my account within 3 days. I do nothing but watch money hit my account online.

And I pay no processing fees. :) What's not to love?

I'll agree that Google needs to do some more work to accomodate those of us using real-time shipping modules like USPS (I couldn't make it work, either, and reverted back to using table rates and zone rates)...they need to do something for those of that offer discount coupons (I personally use Credit Class/Gift Voucher 5.10) and there is no way, at present, for a customer to use a coupon I provide if using Google Checkout. So...yes, they have some work to do.

But, overall? It's looking good. Just my opinion.

nd I pay no processing fees. What's not to love?

Then once you start getting charged $28 a month plus 23 cents for each transaction you still going to love it? You have been using it only 2 weeks give it time, you'll end up trashing it. How many orders have you actually processed with GC? Can you get me a screen shot on the admin side of the orders page that shows GC was the payment? What's wrong with Pay-Pal, it does the same thing plus it is eBay friendly GC. I just hope you don't use GC as your sole method for processing. It's not very practical because the user has to be directed to the cart. If GC could be offered as a payment option in the checkout payment screen it might be a little more useful. Have you tried to do a normal transaction with other payment methods since you installed GC? You want to, cause I am sure you will find some errors.

Nick: Are you a PayPal employee by chance? Lord knows you sound like one right about now...with all of your ranting and raving in this thread and trying desperately to discourage OSC users from installing and using it.

Have I received other payments via other methods? Good Lord, yes. Why do you think I'm a little disappointed over the lack of Google Checkout payments? Customers that are using PayPal are...going to stick with what they know. That's all I get out of it. Shorter checkout? Faster checkout? Doesn't seem to mean a thing to exisiting PayPal users when it comes to checking out in my site...they'll go thru pages of checkout to use PayPal and not use Google Checkout.

And I've experienced no errors whatsoever with customers choosing to ignore the Google Checkout option and pay via PayPal or checks/money orders.

I'm experiencing 90% use of PayPal and 5% Google Checkout and 5% Checks/Money Orders. Like I said...this will take time to catch on. Google Checkout, I mean. I definitely am promoting the hell out of it on my site, but...it really is a PayPal world with this one...for the time being, anyway.

On that note....it costs me absolutely NOTHING to offer GC as an alternative, so...why not? And when people DO use it....I save some money that would otherwise have gone to PayPal fees. I like it.

If GC starts charging $28 per month plus transactions fees, I'm done with it. My understanding....and feel free to point me somewhere and correct me, Nick...is that when 2008 rolls in, GC will charge 2.2% plus 20-cents off the top versus PayPal's current fee structure of 2.9% plus 30-cents off the top. If it will turn into more than that? Please let me know.

As far as offering you a screenshot is concerned, Nick...the answer is no. The orders simply come in with the status of pending...accompanied by an email from Google Checkout that a purchase was made. I change the status of the order from pending to processing and that info is communicated to Google and their card is charged. Then I ship the item and change the status to shipped and the customer receives an email and their purchase info in their Google Account, and here...is updated to Shipped. End.

Michael? Are you still around?

Did you try inserting the </form> tag before the Google Checkout code begins in your login.php file? Honestly, I don't know if that will work for you. I just know that it worked for me. My GC button was pointing to same place that yours is now when an item is in the cart. That being said, my login file looks nothing like yours. I'm bogged down with a few contribs rearing their ugly heads in that file...like, Purchase Without Account and whatnot. But, hey...try it. Insert that one tag and try it. It won't hurt. It either will work or not. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't? Get rid of it. </form> Works fine for me.

You know, Nick...your argument for not installing Google Checkout is pretty weak. Yes, there have been several versions of Google Checkout released in the last year. But, I could easily say the same for:

Header Tags Controller

Purchase Without Account

Credit Class/Gift Voucher

How about....PayPal IPN??????????????

Talk about tons of releases. Honestly, if people using OSC never installed something because there were too many versions available...we'd all be running out of the box OSC websites that look like crap.

I remember, about 2 years ago, entertaining the thought of having the ability to offer discount coupons in my website. I looked at the contrib for Credit Class/Gift Vouchers and was totally overwhelmed at the sheer number of versions. So, I posted on this forum and asked for help. Which one do I pick? There's so many!

Vger replied to me and suggested version 5.10. Certainly not the newest, but...I trusted her and installed 5.10. I have it to this day and have never had a problem. Thank You very much, Vger.

And I use Google Checkout version google-checkout-oscommerce-v1.3RC2rev2 and have no problems.

I'm as timid and concerned as the next person about whether or not my GC will work tomorrow. It is still being worked on and in development. But, I really do view it like all the versions of Header Tags Controller or Credit Class Gift Voucher. Heck, I'm using PayPal IPN 1.1 which is hardly new, but...it still works. I check my website morning and night to make darn sure that Google Checkout is still working. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Just because you couldn't make it work for you, Nick, is no reason to go off screaming about how no one else should use it. A million websites use Google Checkout. Including mine.

Are you a PayPal employee by chance? Lord knows you sound like one right about now...with all of your ranting and raving in this thread and trying desperately to discourage OSC users from installing and using it.

No I am not a Pay-Pal employee, ever heard of if it ain't broke don't try to fix it? My so called "ranting" is educated knowledge for over the past year with this. How long have you been using it? I had it working, it had bugs Google changes the code without telling anyone. So when your GC stops working and you wonder why no one is using it, can't say but I told you so. When you don't get orders that have been made you can blame Google.

Why do you think I'm a little disappointed over the lack of Google Checkout payments? Customers that are using PayPal are...going to stick with what they know.

Have you ever wondered why? Could it be that half the time it doesn't work, the answer to that is yes. 90% if the general population DONT LIKE IT. So why use something your customers don't like and won't use right now. Do you just like being a lab rat? Wouldn't you do the safe thing and go with what you know to especially if you heard nothing but bad things from it.

And I've experienced no errors whatsoever with customers choosing to ignore the Google Checkout option and pay via PayPal or checks/money orders.

Are you 100% sure about this. Do you talk to ever customer that comes to your store and tries to check out but still uses Pay-Pal. Give it time, you will trash it. remember I used it for over a year you have been using it 2 weeks.

If GC starts charging $28 per month plus transactions fees, I'm done with it. My understanding....and feel free to point me somewhere and correct me, Nick...is that when 2008 rolls in, GC will charge 2.2% plus 20-cents off the top versus PayPal's current fee structure of 2.9% plus 30-cents off the top. If it will turn into more than that? Please let me know.

Yes that is true, plus $28.00 a month for payment processing just like every other credit card processor out there does. If you honestly believe their will be no monthly, setup, or gateway service fees just because they say their won't be. I have some ocean front property free for you just for believing that. It's a marketing ploy. They get you hooked using it, you get your customers use to it being on your site, then once they start charging you, you are going to be what the hey I will pay to keep it because it's conventional method and I don't what to have to mess with removing it. BOOM they got you. If you honestly think they are going to offer a payment processor for free you must be kidding yourself.

As far as offering you a screenshot is concerned, Nick...the answer is no.

Because it doesn't exist and you can't do it. Sorry but I will have to call BS until someone can prove me otherwise these orders can be processed through the admin of OSC with a screen shot showing GC as the payment method otherwise.

You know, Nick...your argument for not installing Google Checkout is pretty weak. Yes, there have been several versions of Google Checkout released in the last year. But, I could easily say the same for:

Header Tags Controller

Purchase Without Account

Credit Class/Gift Voucher

Would you consider google changing code, losing orders, not allowing customers to check out half the time weak then I guess it is. Won't be weak though when you are trashing it in a month. I guess the same could be said about your statement with installing other contributions because I don't think installing those others will make you money one way or the other. You could do without all those, were talking about a way to get your money here, what do those have to do with this?

And I use Google Checkout version google-checkout-oscommerce-v1.3RC2rev2 and have no problems.

I ask you again, how long have you been using it? Just give it time, that was the last version I used and it did NOT send the order to my admin and I lost about $20 worth of shipping cost

I'm as timid and concerned as the next person about whether or not my GC will work tomorrow. It is still being worked on and in development.

This is your money we're talking about, why gamble? Why not wait until a stable code comes out? #1 source of advertisement is word of mouth whether it good or bad, just remember that.

Just because you couldn't make it work for you, Nick, is no reason to go off screaming about how no one else should use it. A million websites use Google Checkout. Including mine.

I installed it successfully but it just doesn't work I tried it for a year and it screwed my entire shop up. I went from making $1600 a week to $2-300 a week because of it. It's not called screaming, it's called warning people of it. I have personal experience with it. I have given you links to reviews how hard is it to understand I am trying to warn you from making a mistake. I already said I hope this does work eventually but why be a lab rat and wreck your shop and your online reputation on something that might or might not work tomorrow. I bet if I told you not to stand in the middle of the Hwy you might get hit by a truck you would do it anyways....geez

A million is a little over the top don't ya think? The only shops listed on Google site are the ones the Google developers integrated personally for them because they spend tons of money on advertising through Google and some are multi-million dollar retail stores.

Just so you know, when you get a page that looks like the one below from GC because they changed the code and it is like that for months before a customer actually brings it to your attention because customers ignore it and they use the other method for checkout on your shop, don't come crying back to the forum asking for help because I have warned you!

Nothing weak about facts....

gcerrorsmp1.png

Thanks for you help Andrea - adding that </form> tag did the trick!

And cheers Nick for changing the login.php file - it displays fine now and along with Andrea's advice works fine too :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly the checkout_payment.php and shopping_cart.php still don't display properly, could you show me now to fix those two final files?

checkout_payment.php is not suppose to have a button. Can you take a screen shot of what you are referring to?

Well...I'm glad I could fix SOMETHING, Michael. :)

Initially, I didn't want to post a screenshot of my Admin order because I didn't want to reveal any of my buyers' information or mine, for that matter. But, after playing with Irfanview for a few minutes....here you go.

A screenshot of a Google Checkout order in my Admin (people on dialup...forgive me, I'm trying to prove a point - click at the top to see the big image)

googleorder.gif

The orders come thru into Admin just fine, Nick. Honestly, my only serious complaint or gripe with GC is that I have no control over when and how much money ends up in my bank account.

This isn't like PayPal where you build up a balance and then login and transfer x-amount of money to your account. Google simply transfers, it appears, each payment....one at a time...into your account and it's on me to keep an eye on my bank account and keep up. I don't like that. This is one instance where I would prefer that Google Checkout behave like PayPal. But, it's the only one I can think of. :)

As for GC 'intending' to gouge us all for $28 a month plus processing fees? They'll never be able to accomplish what they intend by doing that...choking PayPal to death. If anything, look at GC as something that will prevent PayPal from raising THEIR fees...and vice versa. I'm well aware that GC will not be free forever. It's free thru 2007 and, like I said, my understanding is that the rates they will be charging in 2008 will be very competitive with PayPal's. Not more than PayPal, as you suggest.

Lighten up, Nick...it's a holiday. Be a sweetheart now and fix Michael's shopping_cart.php page. I certainly can't. :)

Google Checkout only appears on that page when an item has been added to the basket:

http://www.1and1free.co.uk/shop/catalog/shopping_cart.php

HA! That's the only page it is suppose to show up on that's why this module isn't very good right now. Redirecting people to the shopping_cart after they add a product to cart is bad marketing practice. After they add to cart it should keep them on the product info page or back to index but never to the shopping cart. If gives the customer a feeling that have to checkout now or they will checkout cause they won't browse the rest of your site. Therefor you lose out on what we like to call add on sales which will bring your avg ticket up and create more sales. More sales means more money in your pocket.

Their is a way around this 1st you need to have your add to cart buttons redirected. Their is a contribution with a code to do this that keeps you from going to the shopping cart when a item is added. I think it might be in the admin now that I think of it. Anyways, 2nd add a shopping cart info box to the top right column of your site with a checkout button. Now this box will only show when their are items in the cart. This way customers can still keep shopping and can see their cart easily and will be able to checkout when they are ready not when they think they need to check out.

Now what I am doing is taking this infobox and moding in a Google checkout button below the normal checkout button into this info box so that when they are ready they have the option to checkout normally or with the google checkout from anywhere in the site. I think this mod will make this contribution a lot more versatile. I should have it going sometime today.

Oh yea, post your shopping cart code in codebox instead of code

Initially, I didn't want to post a screenshot of my Admin order because I didn't want to reveal any of my buyers' information or mine, for that matter. But, after playing with Irfanview for a few minutes....here you go.

Well I'll be damn, it actually works. Never showed anything in my admin when I got orders. let me be the first to apologize. I am a prove to me kind of person though, so if I didn't see it. I wouldn't have believe it.

As for GC 'intending' to gouge us all for $28 a month plus processing fees? They'll never be able to accomplish what they intend by doing that...choking PayPal to death.

Sure they will! They have something Pay-Pal doesn't, a search engine that can build their GC around. They can make a virtual mall out of a search engine. It is a convenience factor and people will pay for convenience especially if it drives sales up. We are all guilty of pay a little more for convenience at one point of our life if not more. Besides Pay-Pal has the eBay market and it will still be used in the eCommerece market. GC can't touch the eBay market ever because eBay owns Pay-Pal and they will never allow them to use it over there as it is a conflict of interest. That is why they banned GC being used with eBay last year. That is like Ford Stadium having Chevrolet cars and Banners all over the place. GC will never choke them out and vice versa. You just do your own thing. I have learned that if you pay more attention what everyone else is doing, you will never accomplish the goal you are trying to reach.

Oh when I was using GC I my money was transferred not later then 2 days after the transaction. It mostly depends on your bank though. GC captures and transfers the funds daily. It just depends on when your bank will pend and post it.

Also Andrea, do the orders still come through even if the user hasn't registered with your shop?

I've added items to the shopping cart and it appears you can buy without signing up to the OSCommerce shop?

AH you bring up a very good point. That might be why they were not showing up in my admin. Yes customers can buy without creating a account with your store. That is the whole point of GC though so customers don't have to register with all these shops in order to make a purchase. They sign up for GC and shops with the GC button they click on it sign in an hit place order and their done.

I will take a look at the code and get back to you.

Post the entire code in the regular code boxes. I can't copy the code the other way. Sorry about that I was trying to save room but wasn't aware it wouldn't let me copy it that way.

Yes, Michael...buyers do not have to register with your website to use GC. That's the beauty of it, too. They don't have to have any account other than a Google account to buy...which is the downside, I suppose. They do have to create a Google account to use Google Checkout.

The orders come thru into Admin whether or not they are registered users in your site or they're 'new' buyers who simply went straight to Google Checkout. I mean...an order is an order and they all show up in Admin.

For me, personally, the biggest selling point of GC is not the fact that it's free thru 2007...it's that it significantly shortens the checkout process in my website. Anyone that runs an OSC shop knows how long and tedious checkout is.

What GC has created is terrific. Put your items in the cart, hit the GC button...and done. No having to go thru login, shipping, confirm this, confirm that, blah, blah, blah. Just fill the cart and hit the button. Done. Love it.

Nick, you should install it again. If it blows up and dies...we can sit here and whine and be miserable together. :)

By the way, regarding one of your last posts...the GC buttons are only supposed to appear as active when there are items in the cart....and they're only supposed to appear on the login and shopping cart pages. Them's the rules. I don't know what the big deal is about having the buttons appear in checkout_payment and elsewhere, but...those are Google's rules, apparently.

Yes I am trying it again one last time. Everything installed better this time but I am trying to find a way to test it. One thing I don't like is the button is only shown in checkout and it is dynamically generated from google. So trying to add the button to other places in the shop is beyond my php ability.

Now if you look in the picture below you will see what I am talking about with the shopping cart box in the top right corner. That box only shows when their are items in the cart and allows them to see the rolling total. I have this in text form in the header but it doesn't tell you what's in your cart and this is a little more visable. It allows customers to shop through the rest of the store and checkout when they are ready. Now if somehow we can get a GC button below the checkout button in this box it would make GC a little more practical IMO.

carboxub1.png

The version you are using yes it easy to install but it has major bugs.

which one? I didn't notice..

Does that version you use Send orders to your OSC Admin orders page?

yes, it does.

Does it calculate real time shipping?

it should support, if takes to calculate less than 3 second

Does it properly add tax

yes, it does

Gift Cards, Discount Coupons? I think I can answer this for you and the answer is No.

True, No, but my way to sell items/service online is - "What the customers see they pay, without any hidden charges", as some discount I do a specials.

I think you'll find if you try to do a complete checkout with your normal module you will get errors.

really, no errors so far.

Are you sure you are getting all your orders? Also how long have you been using it? Not long seeing Level 2 was just released recently.

I am getting all orders, so far no camplains from customers about missing/outstanding orders. Google Checkout using for 2 month & can say that my customers preffer to use it.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Well, I suppose having the GC button show up all over the place would be ideal, really.

All I know is that Google has policies in place regarding placement of the buttons, size of the buttons, you name it.

Apparently, they don't WANT to be on the same page with other payment methods or alternatives, like PayPal.

People installing that GC IPN contrib...the one that puts GC on the checkout_payment page alongside PayPal and whatever else...are running the risk of having their Google Merchant accounts terminated for not using GC in compliance with their policies.

So, I just promote the carp out of it on my homepage and column_left. Seems to be about all I can do...and still be 'Google Checkout Legal' so to speak.

Nick, how did you get the Checkout button in your shopping cart? It would be nice to see a GC button there, but...I wouldn't risk it. Not that I'd have a clue how to do it, anyway.

As for testing your GC...did you not set up a Sandbox account? I can't imagine testing it 'live'. Though, I must admit, I did test every other single thing I ever installed on a live site. But, not this one.

Archived