• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Table Rate - Have I Set This Up Right? Wrong Price Calculated

I use Table Rate shipping for the US and Canada. Zone Rates for all other foreign countries.

Had someone come in my store yesterday and attempt to buy 55 items. Her shipping cost should have been $10...but it calculated as $20. This is how I've inserted the rates:

1:2.50,2:3.50,3:4.50,4:5.50,5:6.50,6:7.50,7:8.50,8:9.50,100:10.00

I charge $2.50 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional. Buy 9 items or more and pay $10 shipping.

I thought by jumping from 8:9.50 to 100:10.00 that it would cover anyone who attempted to purchase anywhere from 9 to 100 items...assuming no one would ever buy more than 100.

Why did her shipping calculate as $20? There are no handling fees, no taxes. Tare weight is set to zero.

I just put 10 items in my cart and proceeded to checkout and it calculated the shipping as $10. Perfect. Why would 55 items calculate shipping as $20?

I have the Table Rate module set up to calculate based on weight and every single item in my website has a weight of 1.

Any ideas?

I think I know what is your problem, I am currently working on shipping thing on my site too and when I tried to put in my cart 10 items the module calculate the shipping price like there is two packages to send, so it calculates double shipping. I think this is the problem for you too, but I did not had time to look it through!

Try to install Zone International - Table Rate module it shows you a total weight in checkout shipping and see if this is the problem. I use it for my site, and when I tried to put more items in cart and shipping is displayed like this:

Shipping to US (by weight) : 2 x 40 - so it means TWO packages

I saw it now, that this is displayed and calculated because weight of this items is 80 and my last weight price in table is set to 64, so thats why he is calculating like this.

Anyway you should have NO problem with this, because your last size is 100, but maybe this can help you. Try to put these 55 items in you cart see the shipping, than lower down number of items by one and see in what moment he will calculate the shipping right, see what number of items needs to be in cart to get your shipping price, than try to change to table rates.... This is the easiest way to find the problem.

Good Luck.

Thanks very much for the reply, Milo, I appreciate it.

It's a long story, but...I initially set up my table rate shipping the 'hard' way. One is this, 2 is that, 3 is this and so on. All the way up to 100. Worked fine.

I uninstalled it in favor of the USPS shipping module which, turns out, isn't playing well with my latest contrib...Google Checkout...and had to chuck the USPS module and reinstall the table rates and zone rates modules and, honestly...I was tired and just took the shortcuts that should have worked...but, apparently don't.

I'm going to go back into the table rates module (and zone rates, too) and simply do what I did before. Assign a specific price for every single number up to 100.

I have so many contribs that could bump each other and wreck something...I'm quite timid about trying what you suggested with the contrib you mentioned, so...I'll just go back and set up that table rate the way I did it before. Every single number being assigned a price...even if it is the same price over and over.

The thought of having to put 55 items in my cart and work backwards exhausts me...which leads me to a question.

Is there a contribution where a buyer could visit a page of search results...or a category, even...and select multiple items at once and place them all in the cart simultaneously?

The way my site works...is you put one item in your cart and then go find another and put that in your cart and go find something else, click on it, add to the cart...grow old doing so. Especially if you'd like to purchase multiple items you see on your screen. Is there a way around that?