• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple Visitor Newsletter

I have been looking for a contrib that simply adds an e-mail address that a visitor supplies to receive newsletters. The contribs that I have found are so complicated for the fact that I do not see why, plus the added fact that they have warnings of bad injections, etc.

I am just going to create a contrib that has the visitor add their e-mail via a info box into a separate table. If and when that visitor creates an account, it will check that table if the e-mail exists. If it does, it will delete it out of that visitor table so they do not receive multiple e-mails of one newsletter.

When you go to send a newsletter, it will send e-mails from both the customer table as well as the visitor table. Maybe even write up something to show all the visitor e-mails, and the capability to delete one or more if you wish.

A simple mod to do a simple task.

Is there anything I should know on why a simple contrib has not been written like this? Is there something around that does the same thing I am missing?

-Jon

Edited by central50

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got this installed -- thanks for the needed contribution. However, I can't get it to function with Simple Template System (STS). It shows up, but when I enter an email address, it just gives me an empty template with some of the STS codes showing (i.e. $categorybox, $informationbox). When I turn STS off, it works fine.

I've added this to sts_user_code.php:

$sts->start_capture();

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'visitoremail.php');

$sts->stop_capture('visitoremailbox', 'box');

Any ideas?

I have been looking for a contrib that simply adds an e-mail address that a visitor supplies to receive newsletters. The contribs that I have found are so complicated for the fact that I do not see why, plus the added fact that they have warnings of bad injections, etc.

I am just going to create a contrib that has the visitor add their e-mail via a info box into a separate table. If and when that visitor creates an account, it will check that table if the e-mail exists. If it does, it will delete it out of that visitor table so they do not receive multiple e-mails of one newsletter.

When you go to send a newsletter, it will send e-mails from both the customer table as well as the visitor table. Maybe even write up something to show all the visitor e-mails, and the capability to delete one or more if you wish.

Is there anything I should know on why a simple contrib has not been written like this? Is there something around that does the same thing I am missing?

-Jon

• 2 weeks later...

You must also add an entry into new custom boxes in sts_display_output.php

I have a different issue with this contrib. Once you enter an email address and push subscribe, it goes to visitoremail.php?action=process with a blank page. The email address is entered into the database just fine. Then you go to send a newsletter, I get this

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/admin/public_html/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 99

This is my line 99

return mysql_fetch_array($db_query, MYSQL_ASSOC);

-Jon

I am trying to install this but when I get to step 6 in the install.txt I am not sure which file I am supposed to add the include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'visitoremail.php'); into. Thanks for a needed contrib. Blaine

Edited by Blaine

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the last Version but:

=>I registered as a new newsletter subscriber

=> System tells me, that my email adress ist added

Problems

=> Does a subscriber not receive an email to activate his newsletter subscription (double subscribe for secure ?)

=> Tabel "customers_temp" is empty ? Where is the subscribed email stored in ???

Admin gets an information that there is a new subscriber - but where can admin modify newsletter mebers list or just see it ?

OSC Webmakers Edition modiefied with many other contribs and enhancements.

+ STS 4.5.7 for 2.2MS2 and RC1

The second thing is:

Visitors can only book the newsletter but not disable it by themselves...

Admin has no management functions to manage (insert/edti/delete) subscribers....

I think there is still some work to do with that contrib ?

OSC Webmakers Edition modiefied with many other contribs and enhancements.

+ STS 4.5.7 for 2.2MS2 and RC1

• 1 month later...

I installed the contrib but the newsletter bulk module is not working. I can send out my newsletter using the newsletter module but the for some reason that I cant figure out the newsletter bulk module is not sending any emails out.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx

• 3 weeks later...

I am using this contribution, Newsletter Unsubscirbe, together with this contribution and but without bulk-mailer. And i have at the moment managed to come to a point where visitor receive a link in his/her e-mail which can be used to unsubscribe. Problem I am now facing is this that the query I am carry out, listed below:

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_VISITOR . " where convert ('" . TABLE_VISITOR . "''"."''"email"' using utf8) = '" . $email_to_unsubscribe . "'");

Gives me folloing error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in unsubscribe_done.php on line 76

I feel I am really close, but can not figure out whats wrong with that query. If someone could please have a loot at it and correct it for me.

Thanks in advance.

I installed the contrib but the newsletter bulk module is not working. I can send out my newsletter using the newsletter module but the for some reason that I cant figure out the newsletter bulk module is not sending any emails out.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx

I too am facing this problem. I've double checked the installation and everything is as it should be. I got an error saying that oscom.table_customers_temp doesn't exist. I've added the table and doesn't complain about it anymore. But no actual mails are being sent.

TIA

I too am facing this problem. I've double checked the installation and everything is as it should be. I got an error saying that oscom.table_customers_temp doesn't exist. I've added the table and doesn't complain about it anymore. But no actual mails are being sent.

TIA

Solution found: In Configuration/email options change E-Mail Transport Method to smtp for windows/Mac Os servers.

Can anyone help with this issue??

I have a different issue with this contrib. Once you enter an email address and push subscribe, it goes to visitoremail.php?action=process with a blank page. The email address is entered into the database just fine. Then you go to send a newsletter, I get this

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/admin/public_html/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 99

This is my line 99

return mysql_fetch_array($db_query, MYSQL_ASSOC);

• 1 month later...

Found an error (omission) in the Install.txt from 2.1_1

Where it says:

Step 5.
Open:
/admin/includes/database_tables.php

---------------ADD
// Simple Visitor Newsletter  
 define('TABLE_VISITOR', 'visitor');

CHANGE TO:

Step 5.
Open:
/admin/includes/database_tables.php

---------------ADD
// Simple Visitor Newsletter  
 define('TABLE_VISITOR', 'visitor');
// Bulk Mailer
 define('TABLE_CUSTOMERS_TEMP', 'customers_temp');

-Dave

Another issue if someone can help me please.

What the heck is this? and how should it be set up properly for English language?

from newsletter_bulk.php

/////Simple Visitor Newsletter
// copy visitors e-mails to the temporary table
$copy_query = tep_db_query("select email from " . TABLE_VISITOR );
while($row = tep_db_fetch_array($copy_query)) {
	if (eregi('^[-a-z0-9._]+@([-a-z0-9_]+\.)+[a-z]{2,6}$',$row['email'])) {
	tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_TEMP . " (customers_firstname, customers_lastname, customers_email_address) VALUES ('Assinante', 'Informativo', '" . $row['email'] . "')");
	}
}
	echo "<b>Banco de dados renovado</b><br>";
  } else {
	echo "<b>Envios serão feitos em banco de dados já iniciado</b><br>";
}
/////Simple Visitor Newsletter

-Dave

• 1 month later...
Another issue if someone can help me please.

What the heck is this? and how should it be set up properly for English language?

from newsletter_bulk.php

found same problem...

must be others, so here's what I found....

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

strings can be translated from Portuguese to English...

Nothing spooky here..

When mailing a customer first and last name are known (and used)

When mailing mailing list person only e-mail is known and some informative text is entered.

I agree... English would be easier for most of us...

This text should be translated in the language files... To hard for me....

Maybe you ;-)

Can someone assist me? Everything is fine except when sending bulk newletter I could this msg at Newsletter Manager

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'BULKMAILER_LIMIT' at line 1

select customers_firstname, customers_lastname, customers_email_address from customers_temp limit BULKMAILER_LIMIT

[TEP STOP]

Hey,

I hope someone can help me and I thank you in advance for that.

I have the script working and it saves emails to the DB and I have no errors, but, I can not send emails to the subscribers and neither see them in admin or in the dropdown list of the Newsletter manager.

Please help!!

If you do have a user instructions doc, i will be awesome.

Regards,

Gvilla.

-Jon

Hey,

I hope someone can help me and I thank you in advance for that.

I have the script working and it saves emails to the DB and I have no errors, but, I can not send emails to the subscribers and neither see them in admin or in the dropdown list of the Newsletter manager.

Please help!!

If you do have a user instructions doc, i will be awesome.

Regards,

Gvilla.

-Jon

I've got this installed -- thanks for the needed contribution. However, I can't get it to function with Simple Template System (STS). It shows up, but when I enter an email address, it just gives me an empty template with some of the STS codes showing (i.e. $categorybox, $informationbox). When I turn STS off, it works fine.

$sts->start_capture();

Any ideas?

I don't know if anyone's figured this out or not, but here's how I fixed the problem.

In /catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_column_left.php

I added these lines:

//Add Vistor Email box
 $sts->restart_capture ('visitoremailbox', 'box');

And added "$visitoremailbox" into the template html file, and it worked just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

$sts->start_capture();

Any ideas?

hi

i have the same problem how can u solve it. i read all u r msg,but not get any solutions.........plz help me

The second thing is:

Visitors can only book the newsletter but not disable it by themselves...

Admin has no management functions to manage (insert/edti/delete) subscribers....

I think there is still some work to do with that contrib ?

Hi

i want to see all newslettermembers in admin side how can i ...........