• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Very Heavily Modded Store, Critique!

Jaide

EZDecal.com

My store is not live yet but I hope to have it live within a couple of days. A few things that I know I need to fix/am working on:

- Subcategories page

- Post all my products with the additional options (color, size, customizations)

The rest are just minor cosmetic fixes that I have on my to-do list.

Please, browse, create fake accounts, fake orders, etc, I would like to test all pages and browsers. ALL FEEDBACK WELCOME.

Colors - like/dislike?

Logo/Main Image (is the gif annoying?)

Easy to navigate/easy to read?

Attractive?

Pages load quickly?

Professional?

Etc..

Thank you!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very interesting and well done job with the design of your site. A few very small changes that I would make. I would choose a lock icon in the header that has a transparent background. Also, the customer testimonials button in the header looks out of place. I would make a banner that spans across the whole black area. Other then that very good job, I also like the logo.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Also, the customer testimonials button in the header looks out of place. I would make a banner that spans across the whole black area.

Updated the header.

I would choose a lock icon in the header that has a transparent background.

I figured it out. Later versions of IE did not support transparent .png's. I have edited the lock image. Please verify that it looks okay now on your end. Thank you!

It looks the nuts in IE but bombs out in FF. I think it may have something to do with putting your script in header.php, in <head> tags. Doing that gives you 2 sets of <head> tags, which is probably why FF is throwing a wobbly.

I would put that script in a .js file and call it from the page - index.php etc.

What version of FireFox are you using? I have been using firefox to edit and view it, and I have seen no problems. Could you check/verify the errors?

"It looks the nuts" -- not sure what kind of slang this is, but that is... good?

Yeah, looking the nuts is good. I use Firefox/1.5.0.12

firefoxjh2.jpg

Ah, I see. The images aren't loading fast enough so it errors out, is this correct?

Thank you for making a screenshot

Ah, I see. The images aren't loading fast enough so it errors out, is this correct?

Thank you for making a screenshot

I don't know if that is the case. The placeholders appear but nothing loads into them. I have js disabled by default but I enabled it to view your site and I cleared the cache but still nothing. It fires up fine in IE7, just not in FF. Maybe one of my extensions is doing something that I am not aware of, although I haven't seen this behaviour before. I will investigate more.

Thanks Peter. I will try to add a .js file. Can you give me any tips on how to call the .js in the header? Just by a php include I'm guessing?

Thanks Peter. I will try to add a .js file. Can you give me any tips on how to call the .js in the header? Just by a php include I'm guessing?

Sorry Jaide, I went to bed after my last post :-"

You include it with <script type="text/javascript" src="your_script.js"></script> Add a path if it is somewhere other than the root. You would usually call it in the <head> but there's no harm in trying to do it from header.php. Remember you need to remove the embedded JS and those extra <head> tags from header.php. Although you need to keep the function call in the cell.

<td valign="top"><script type="text/javascript">

//new fadeshow(fadeimages, 551, 301, 0, 3000, 1, R)

new fadeshow(fadeimages, 551, 301, 0, 3000, 1, "R")

</script></td>

If it doesn't work calling the external .js file from header.php, call it from the <head> in index.php instead. If it works then, you will need to call it from all root level files that you want it to work in - i.e. popup_image.php isn't one you would want it working in.

Of course, you don't have to do this, you could leave it embedded. It is just how I prefer it. If you do try this, please remember to make backups before changing anything. It is sooooo much easier to get back to square one with backups.

BTW - I disabled all my extensions in FF and your code still doesn't work in my browser. It could be those erroneous <head> tags in header.php.

One more thing, incase you didn't know; save all that embedded JS minus the <script> tags into your new your_script.js

<script type="text/javascript" src="your_script.js"></script>

Should be

"<script type="text/javascript" src="your_script.js"></script>"

But without the quotes " " :rolleyes:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thank you two for the feedback and replies.

Peter: I made a fading.js file and called the .js from header, as well as removed the <head> tags.

Jim: I added a MetaTag contrib, checked the analyzer and it says:

Description: Description relevancy to page content is very poor.

The Description relevancy to page content is 18%.

Keywords: Keyword relevancy to page content is terrible.

The keywords relevancy to page content is 0%.

(http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-engine...g-analyzer.html) -- Any tips on how to correct the above?

Jaide,

You'll be pleased to know...........it works perfect!

I got a confession to make, something that came to me in a fit of inspiration after reading your code. It does various browser checks so I am thinking, it isn't identifying my browser. That's when the fog began to lift and I remembered I block referrers so, it didn't know which browser I was using. :blush:

Well, at least it looks better now with the script in its own file. :-"

And it does look the nuts - well done! :thumbsup:

As I understand it, the more "keywords" and words from your "description" you have on the main page, the better your search engine ranking will be.

But, as that one link states:

Meta tags are not a magic solution.

So if adding extra text is going to ruin the overall appearance, it's probably not a good idea.

It's your site - you're the boss!!!

:lol:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Jim - I see, I tried my best and more text on the main page is not what I want! :)

Kyle: Thanks! The ezBucks FAQ is from the Rewards/Points Module/Contribution, it was coded that way.

Jim - I see, I tried my best and more text on the main page is not what I want! :)

Kyle: Thanks! The ezBucks FAQ is from the Rewards/Points Module/Contribution, it was coded that way.

very nice ..I like your site color and layout design.

I really like the site. However it's not terribly easy to find the add to cart button. I would make the add to cart, checkout and the other buttons that make you money bigger and easier to find. You don't want your customer to have to search all around just to find the add to cart button, because they'll just leave...

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

I really like the site. However it's not terribly easy to find the add to cart button. I would make the add to cart, checkout and the other buttons that make you money bigger and easier to find. You don't want your customer to have to search all around just to find the add to cart button, because they'll just leave...

Hard to find? The buttons are right next to every item.

Hard to find? The buttons are right next to every item.

Not on the Product Info page - it's a simple text link at the bottom of the Product Info page. Are you sure you didn't buy this in as a commercial template from someone like Template Monster? I say that because that's exactly how they lay things out.

Vger

Archived