• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Handling Fee To Free Shipping

miamizx

I have installed the Free Shipping w/ Minimum Order Amount, works great but I would like to add a handling fee. Anyone know how to go about this?

Also, is there any way to set the free shipping for different zones and different minimum amount? for example, free shipping to Florida after $100 and free shipping to the rest of the US after $300.

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Well, if there's a handling fee then it's not really free, is it?

Sounds like you could just use Flat Rate set at $1.00 or whatever you want the handling fee to be.

For your second question I think you could use zone shipping for this. If the stock osC zone module doesn't have all the functionality/features you're looking for there are probably a bunch of different contributions for it.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, if there's a handling fee then it's not really free, is it?

What do the two have to do with each other? He is offering free shipping, not free shipping and handling.

A lot of businesses offer free shipping but not free handling. They charge a couple bucks to off set the cost of packaging, tape, printed invoices, time, etc.

Exactly. I'm giving free shipping to orders over $300 but I need to charge a "handling" fee of $10, I'm shipping live corals and the heat packs / water / bags / boxes cost alot.

I was able add a handling fee through a contribution called handing_fee2, which lets me add a fee to order over xxx amount. The problem now is that I don't know how to use one for FL(free ship over $100 + handling) and one for the rest of the US(free ship over $300 + handling).

What do the two have to do with each other? He is offering free shipping, not free shipping and handling.

A lot of businesses offer free shipping but not free handling. They charge a couple bucks to off set the cost of packaging, tape, printed invoices, time, etc.

I was able add a handling fee through a contribution called handing_fee2, which lets me add a fee to order over xxx amount. The problem now is that I don't know how to use one for FL(free ship over $100 + handling) and one for the rest of the US(free ship over $300 + handling).

Set up tax zones for the two areas (one for FL and one for the rest of the US) and then have one shipping module for one zone and a clone module for the other.

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Thank you for explaining this to me. Given that I am seven years old and have never worked with e-commerce before, I did not understand the concept.

Now try it on your customers; tell them that shipping is free, but when it comes time to checkout, tell them that shipping and handling is $10.00. Please, for my sake, be surprised when they're angry. In fact, give them the exact same response you gave to me.

If you want to have a separate line item for handling (ie Shipping = $0.00, Handling = $10.00, Tax = whatever, etc) and clearly state wherever you explain your free shipping policy that certain orders will incur a handling fee, you should be alright. But that's not the scenario described in the original question; the title of the thread is "Adding Handling Fee To Free Shipping". To which I say, again, that if you add a handling fee to your shipping charge then shipping is not free.

In the code that is calculating handling cost place an if and else statement and let the code flow after determining which zone.

If zone == A add this

else add this

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Set up tax zones for the two areas (one for FL and one for the rest of the US) and then have one shipping module for one zone and a clone module for the other.

I cannot do the zones workaround since that module does not have the Zone Select field, and I don't know enough coding to add it myself.

On the terms of my site, all the conditions and such are clearly listed so this is not a "hidden" fee or anything of the sort. thanks for pointing that out though.

I cannot do the zones workaround since that module does not have the Zone Select field, and I don't know enough coding to add it myself.

On the terms of my site, all the conditions and such are clearly listed so this is not a "hidden" fee or anything of the sort. thanks for pointing that out though.

The free shipping module doesn't have zones, or the handling fee module?

The free shipping module doesn't have zones, or the handling fee module?

The Free Shipping module does have it but the Handling Fee module does not, this is where I'm stuck. Also, the Handling Fee module is actually on the Order Totals instead of the Shipping admin section, dont know if that makes a difference or not.

The Free Shipping module does have it but the Handling Fee module does not, this is where I'm stuck. Also, the Handling Fee module is actually on the Order Totals instead of the Shipping admin section, dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Having it set up as an Order Total module makes sense, and in that case there wouldn't be any zone option within the configuration. Also, isn't the handling fee the same for every order? If so the zone issue wouldn't matter as far as the handling fee is concerned. It still sounds to me like you can just set up two free shipping modules and get this going.

Having it set up as an Order Total module makes sense, and in that case there wouldn't be any zone option within the configuration. Also, isn't the handling fee the same for every order? If so the zone issue wouldn't matter as far as the handling fee is concerned. It still sounds to me like you can just set up two free shipping modules and get this going.

The handling fee is not the same for every order, I only charge a handling fee of $10 for every order over $100 to Florida and over $300 for the rest of the US. If the order doesnt reach this amount, then the standard shipping rate tables will kick in and there is no handling fee for that. I have setup a Free Shipping module for orders over $300 for the entire US, and I could setup a clone just for FL, but then the orders from FL will not get charged the $10 handling fee because the Handling Fee module in Order Total is setup for order over $300 (remember I can't clone this one and set it for FL because no zones).

So for now I just have everyone in the US get free shipping (+$10) after $300. If I can't find a solution for this soon I'm thinking of setting up one of the coupon contributions and send out coupons for those FL residents who would of gotten free shipping.

The handling fee is not the same for every order, I only charge a handling fee of $10 for every order over $100 to Florida and over $300 for the rest of the US. If the order doesnt reach this amount, then the standard shipping rate tables will kick in and there is no handling fee for that. I have setup a Free Shipping module for orders over $300 for the entire US, and I could setup a clone just for FL, but then the orders from FL will not get charged the $10 handling fee because the Handling Fee module in Order Total is setup for order over $300 (remember I can't clone this one and set it for FL because no zones).

So for now I just have everyone in the US get free shipping (+$10) after $300. If I can't find a solution for this soon I'm thinking of setting up one of the coupon contributions and send out coupons for those FL residents who would of gotten free shipping.

My solution for this would be to charge the $10 on every order and adjust your shipping rates table accordingly. This would be the simplest way to be able to accomplish what you want to do, and, speaking from the viewpoint of a potential customer, I think your clients would prefer it this way as well. I understand what you're doing, but if I was shopping somewhere and found out that the "free shipping" costs $10 ($10 that doesn't show up on the invoice when the order doesn't qualify for free shipping) I might not complete the sale.

My solution for this would be to charge the $10 on every order and adjust your shipping rates table accordingly. This would be the simplest way to be able to accomplish what you want to do, and, speaking from the viewpoint of a potential customer, I think your clients would prefer it this way as well. I understand what you're doing, but if I was shopping somewhere and found out that the "free shipping" costs $10 ($10 that doesn't show up on the invoice when the order doesn't qualify for free shipping) I might not complete the sale.

That would be the fastest and easiest way but I cannot simply charge all my orders a $10 fee, since my shipping is setup by number of items and not total amount or weight.

I clearly state on my shipping terms page this $10 fee, and also on a note in the shopping cart (on the sipping options page). So the user knows that they will be charged this fee. It is very common in the business that I am in for store owners to do this and most of the customers are aware of this.

That would be the fastest and easiest way but I cannot simply charge all my orders a $10 fee, since my shipping is setup by number of items and not total amount or weight.

I clearly state on my shipping terms page this $10 fee, and also on a note in the shopping cart (on the sipping options page). So the user knows that they will be charged this fee. It is very common in the business that I am in for store owners to do this and most of the customers are aware of this.

It's not my intention to tell you how to run your shop, just give you whatever advice I can manage. When I was short earlier in the thread the post was not directed at you.

As far as the $10 fee is concerned, having myself once run a web based business with very high packaging costs it seems you must be including it in the shipping rates or you would be losing some money on the smaller orders. That's where I got the idea of charging everyone the $10 outright and adjusting the shipping rates somewhat.

It's not my intention to tell you how to run your shop, just give you whatever advice I can manage. When I was short earlier in the thread the post was not directed at you.

As far as the $10 fee is concerned, having myself once run a web based business with very high packaging costs it seems you must be including it in the shipping rates or you would be losing some money on the smaller orders. That's where I got the idea of charging everyone the $10 outright and adjusting the shipping rates somewhat.

Oh dude don't get me wrong, I thank you and every one that has helped out in this thread, I need all the advice I can get. I've gotten some really good ideas and I'm going to re-structure my shipping rates and fees.

Thanks again for all the help.