• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Subzone Tax Used For County Tax

Subzone Tax used for County Tax

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,5171

This is my first contribution. I hope it helps those with the same problems I had with county/municipal taxes. I've included sql files for county/municipal taxes for Georgia and California valid as of 4/1/2007. These sql files are dependent on the zone_id for those States so you may need to change them for your store.

This contribution requires the country-state selector contribution. Please install it first.

• 3 weeks later...

My sites are heavily modded and I've done some comparing of my site with the stock oscommerce. This file does not exist in the stock oscommerce and the file is relavent to a modification that I have installed. Ignore this entry in the install and I'll remove it from the installation instructions.

Thanks,

Gary

I'm trying to install, but I can't find catalog/create_account_process.php. There's no such file.

Help, please.

Kay

• 1 month later...

For those having a problem with existing customers not being charged county tax or incorrect county tax, nothing may be wrong. Here is the explanation why this is happening. The customer's existing addresses do not have a county entry and thus are using the first county's tax rate.

Editing the customer's address book entries and selecting the correct county is necessary. I have the master password contribution and login under their account to correct this for the customer; or, the customer can do this for themselves.

Admin support for this may be possible. I'll look into it when I get some free time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Gary

Kerry from Danville, CA. I'm trying to get my site up and running. I've been looking for a mod to handle the separate county, city taxes in CA. Your mod looks very promising. I'm new to PHP so I'm not use to coding in it yet, but I do have a question.

There are 10 different tax zones all toll in CA, if you include those counties, cities (CC for short) that doesn't have a CC tax. Would it be easier if in sql you made 10 CC_tax_zones each with it own CC_tax_zone_id and CC_tax_zone_rate then with each CC in your table you could link the CC_tax_zone_id with it? Then whenever CC tax rates change and we know they will, you would only have to update your county, city link to your CC_tax_zone_id making updating your sql perhaps a little easier.

This is just a thought and I'm in noway putting down your mod. I plan to use it, and hopefully as I get to understand PHP I will start programming myself a little and be of some real help.

Thanks for the mod and I'll let you know how it goes.

I've given that some thought and it sounds like a good idea. On the surface it doesn't seem to require a great deal of changes to make it work. I'll look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks

Hi, Gary

Kerry from Danville, CA. I'm trying to get my site up and running. I've been looking for a mod to handle the separate county, city taxes in CA. Your mod looks very promising. I'm new to PHP so I'm not use to coding in it yet, but I do have a question.

There are 10 different tax zones all toll in CA, if you include those counties, cities (CC for short) that doesn't have a CC tax. Would it be easier if in sql you made 10 CC_tax_zones each with it own CC_tax_zone_id and CC_tax_zone_rate then with each CC in your table you could link the CC_tax_zone_id with it? Then whenever CC tax rates change and we know they will, you would only have to update your county, city link to your CC_tax_zone_id making updating your sql perhaps a little easier.

This is just a thought and I'm in noway putting down your mod. I plan to use it, and hopefully as I get to understand PHP I will start programming myself a little and be of some real help.

Thanks for the mod and I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I ran into this problem during checkout:

Warning: Missing argument 4 for tep_get_tax_description() in /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php on line 356

Warning: Missing argument 4 for tep_get_tax_description() in /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php on line 356

When I add 2 items to the cart, I get 2 warnings. When I add 1 item to the cart, I get 1 warning. When I continue, I get this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php:356) in /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php on line 29

What could have gone wrong!?!

Hi,

I ran into this problem during checkout:

When I add 2 items to the cart, I get 2 warnings. When I add 1 item to the cart, I get 1 warning. When I continue, I get this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php:356) in /home/www/healthylife.freehostia.com/includes/functions/general.php on line 29

What could have gone wrong!?!

Hi,

Where in the checkout process do you get these messages?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I just installed both the Country-State Selector and your Subzone Tax used for county tax. I followed your instructions to a 'T', and while it corrected the problem I was having of charging people who lived elsewhere out of county/city taxes, it no longer charges at all for the county/city taxes. Only state taxes for people who live in state. In admin, is there supposed to be a 'subzone' category in locations/taxes or just the Subzone tax rates? To make this less confusing, here is what I am trying to do:

Colorado law states that I have to charge taxes for localities in common. For example: If someone in Colorado Springs (El Paso County )orders something from me (in Arvada/Jefferson County), I only have to charge them for Colorado State Tax. If someone in Lakewood (Jefferson County) orders something, I have to charge them both State and County tax. If someone in Arvada (Jefferson County) orders something, I have to charge them State, County, and City. However, if someone in the Adams County portion of Arvada orders something, I only charge them city and state tax. No county.

What I did:

Created a 'zone' for colorado (this works)

Created a 'tax class' for colorado with the 2.9% tax rate (this works)

Created a 'county tax class' with subzone Arvada with 3.46% tax rate (this doesn't work)

created a 'county tax class' with subzone Jefferson with 1.7% tax rate (this doesn't work)

It looks like there should be someplace to identify the subzone to associate it with the city and county the customer entered but I'm not sure where or how this works.

Maybe I'm just setting the configurations in the admin panel wrong, but right this second I am totally lost. Please help!!! I can provide any other additional information needed. Here is the site: www.feather-aid.com

Try this. In the admin interface under configuration, customer detatils set the suburb field to true. Also, any customers created before this contribution was installed will not have a county. That will have to be corrected for each customer.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Hi! I just installed both the Country-State Selector and your Subzone Tax used for county tax. I followed your instructions to a 'T', and while it corrected the problem I was having of charging people who lived elsewhere out of county/city taxes, it no longer charges at all for the county/city taxes. Only state taxes for people who live in state. In admin, is there supposed to be a 'subzone' category in locations/taxes or just the Subzone tax rates? To make this less confusing, here is what I am trying to do:

Colorado law states that I have to charge taxes for localities in common. For example: If someone in Colorado Springs (El Paso County )orders something from me (in Arvada/Jefferson County), I only have to charge them for Colorado State Tax. If someone in Lakewood (Jefferson County) orders something, I have to charge them both State and County tax. If someone in Arvada (Jefferson County) orders something, I have to charge them State, County, and City. However, if someone in the Adams County portion of Arvada orders something, I only charge them city and state tax. No county.

What I did:

Created a 'zone' for colorado (this works)

Created a 'tax class' for colorado with the 2.9% tax rate (this works)

Created a 'county tax class' with subzone Arvada with 3.46% tax rate (this doesn't work)

created a 'county tax class' with subzone Jefferson with 1.7% tax rate (this doesn't work)

It looks like there should be someplace to identify the subzone to associate it with the city and county the customer entered but I'm not sure where or how this works.

Maybe I'm just setting the configurations in the admin panel wrong, but right this second I am totally lost. Please help!!! I can provide any other additional information needed. Here is the site: www.feather-aid.com

I've had a request to try to make this contribution work with google checkout. At this point, I don't see a solution because Google does not ask for the customer's county when they enter their address. I'm investigating a work-around possibly using the shipping estimator contribution for the county information when populating the tax information that google uses. I'll post back here when I have more information.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I have Subzone tax working great for everything except for customer pickup. I need to have this option on here and I need it to charge taxes based on the store's address, not the customers.

I installed multipickup but uninstalled it because it seemed to override subzone tax and stopped charging for subzones.

Does anyone know how this is done? I have a million lines of code running through my head at the moment and I can't seem to focus on where to start.

• 2 weeks later...
I have Subzone tax working great for everything except for customer pickup. I need to have this option on here and I need it to charge taxes based on the store's address, not the customers.

I installed multipickup but uninstalled it because it seemed to override subzone tax and stopped charging for subzones.

Does anyone know how this is done? I have a million lines of code running through my head at the moment and I can't seem to focus on where to start.

If you give me a link to the customer pickup contribution, I'll take a look at it to see what I can do to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have this contribution installed with no errors however on the checkout_payment_address.php and the checkout_shipping_address.php when the page is refreshed after selecting state the suburb drop down box is not displayed. It is diplayed on the create new account page.

This is important because is someone ships to an address other than their own I need to charge the correct tax rate for where the package is shipped. Any assitance is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

Edited by polowrx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am setting up GA and TN. In GA, tax is by county, plus there is a City of Atlanta (different amounts depending on Dekalb or Fulton) tax. This may not be the best way to set this up, but I have a subzone for each county and each City of Atlanta county. The tax for each subzone is the total tax (State + County + City). I only have one item in the Tax Rate table that describes "Sales Tax (GA and TN only)" and the tax_rate is set to "0.00". This seems to work as taxes are only charged for GA and TN and each amount is taken care of in the subzone.

My problem is having a way to make sure the Customer address is setup correctly. For example, if I go to My Account, I can see that I am set for GA but I can't see the county. If I Edit at this point, I can select a county from a drop-down menu followed by update and this correctly sets my county (as seen in the database) but the customer cannot confirm this. If the customer Edits again, the County dropdown always shows the first county in the menu and not the county they are set for in the database. How can I get it to display the correct county?

Further, if I am editing my address and change my state from GA to one that is not taxed, the screen updates and the County slot is empty. If I then change my state back to GA, the page updates but the dropdown of counties does not appear. I have to update and edit (going back to the edit page) to select a county.

This is all very confusing, but it this would become clear if you go to my site and register as a customer: http://www.propacksolutions.com/catalog

I have spent many, many hours on trying to figure this tax stuff out and am finally very close to having a working system.

• 1 year later...

I followed step 2: "Go into phpadmin or some other mysql interface and run the sql statement in file subzone_tax_sql.txt."

And I got this error:

Error

SQL query:

CREATE TABLE `subzones` (

`subzone_id` INT( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,

`subzone_name` VARCHAR( 32 ) NULL ,

`subzone_tax_rate` DECIMAL( 7, 4 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000',

`subzone_zone_id` INT( 11 ) NULL ,

PRIMARY KEY ( `subzone_id` )

) TYPE = MYISAM AUTO_INCREMENT =1;

MySQL said:

#1046 - No database selected

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Hi again

Also:

Find:

$tax_address_query = tep_db_query("select ab.entry_country_id, ab.entry_zone_id from " . TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK . " ab left join " . TABLE_ZONES . " z on (ab.entry_zone_id = z.zone_id) where ab.customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "' and ab.address_book_id = '" . (int)($this->content_type == 'virtual' ? $billto : $sendto) . "'");

I cannot find this in /includes/classes/order.php

All the other mods I could find but not this one.

Halp?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to anybody that can help :-)

I am trying to solve the Greek tax rate issue, so here are the data:

1. There are 2 different tax rate zones in Greece, 23% if product shipped to most states/counties and 16% if product shipped to some others (small states/counties, some islands).

2. In order for a product to take the low tax rate of 16%, the customer must be a business customer (not a simple home user) providing a valid business VAT and his business is situated in one of the regions/counties which are included in the low tax rate zone.

The contribution (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1240) can solve the 2 different tax rates issue, but it doesn't solve the issue of distinguishing business customer and home user as i explained above.

I use the contribution (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6833) to insert the VAT field in customer's account and the contribution (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4625) so anyone who creates an account will be distinguised either as business user (with business VAT), either as a home user (VAT not provided, not necessary).

How can i set up correctly the tax rates?

Any help will be strongly appreciated :-)