• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Full Catalog Backup

azer

here is the thread for Full Catalog Backup

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,5041

Uses the TAR and ZLIB functions of your server to create a single .tar.gz file that contains ALL of your catalog files and folders.

Use the Database Backup Tool first, and your sql backup will be included in the file that Full Catalog Backup creates.

The newly created file will be presented as a link so that you can also download a copy for safe keeping.

Follow the installation instructions to add this script to the Admin/Tools box for easy access.

Thanks to the authors

MS2

here are some ideas for te future :

- make a full backu parchive including the database in the archive in a sub folder if it s not yet done

- make the tar and gzip checking possibility in the admin catalog page ...

- give some more info for the error number

by the way i got an error 2 , any infos ?

MS2

here are some ideas for te future :

- make a full backu parchive including the database in the archive in a sub folder if it s not yet done

- make the tar and gzip checking possibility in the admin catalog page ...

- give some more info for the error number

by the way i got an error 2 , any infos ?

1. The backup is created in catalog/admin/backups/catalog and excludes previous archives contained within that folder. The folder is backed up so you don't need to create it each time. The database backups are moved to a subdirectory of their original location i.e. catalog/backups/database

2. This is as easy as copying the code from the included tgz_exist.php into the catalog/admin/catalog_backup.php file. It was assumed that this is not something one would need to do very often so it was provided as an external script.

3. There are two commands being run by the system() function; Tar and GNUZip. You can find some very basic info on tar error codes here. If you want to add the error messages yourself you can adapt the code easily as provision is already there. It's usually something to do with permissions so check them for a possible quick fix.

That would be very easy. You could have a set of radio buttons to choose which type of archive you wish to create and add the z flag to the command and .gz to the end of the extension when gzip is selected. It would also be easy enough to make this work with zip too. Maybe even detect which are available in the system and only show options to select from the available compression types.

Anyway, it's past my bedtime.

Thanks for an awesome Contribution, I have it installed on many of my test stores and one Live site.. Thing is on my live site...which is on the same server as all my other sites it quit working and gave error 2. I have re-installed it a couple times and checked all my permissions but no go? Also the generated file is always 45 bytes every time i try it ????? Any ideas thanks?!

Well, I've been having some problems with error code 2 recently. I'll post back when I find out why.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a very usefull contribution, but the error messages don't give enough information.

I am getting a: Error Code: 9 (0 is good) when I am trying to do the backup. The file is created but doesn't have all the files in it.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank's

Steve

I don't seem to be able to find any info on the error codes. I wish there was more I could do.

I've reverted to making a manual backup using gzip by logging in to my server using ssh. If you have ssh and you have shell access you can make a backup like so:

ssh example.com -l [email protected]

cd /path/to/oscommerce/

tar cvpzf backup.tar.gz .

This will make an archive of your oscommerce installation which you can then transfer using ftp or scp.

I will be thinking of a better solution over the next few weeks and if I come up with anything I'll post here.

Edited by psynaptic

• 6 months later...

Azer, Folks Good Evening

This dreaded error code 2 has anybody ever found an explanation?

The contribution has been performing faultlessly for some months

Yesterday it falls over half way through with error code 2 and no amount of first aid or tweaking will get it back up and running

I can do an ftp manual backup but...

Any thoughts ideas very welcome

Thank you

Azer, Folks Good Evening

This dreaded error code 2 has anybody ever found an explanation?

Good Evening All

After finding out the hard way I think the error code 2 is indicating a lack of space on the server for the database. About ten minutes after posting this ad I had such an experience - not to be recommended. After freeing up space and a restore the program has run fine...

Cheers

Nossum

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a very handy backup tool for the entire catalog. It's great for moving all files (and I mean ALL files) to another server!

Many thanks to the author!

Edited by Dennisra

• 5 months later...

Great contribution! Everything works fine, but when the catalog backup finishes I get this error message: [an error occurred while processing this directive]

When I go back to the catalog backup page, I see that the backup worked fine, but I am just wondering why I get this error message, rather than a message telling me the backup was successful.

Regards,

Chuck