osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sued for running osCommmerce?

xaraya

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

If it is a US patent, and I'm in Austrailia, does the patent affect me even if I'm only trading within Austrailian borders?

Best regards,

AstroTux.

I'm not worried about any of it and I'm in the US.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I talked with one of the gentlemen associated with www.youmaybenext.com and offered to post information in this thread about their upcoming wiki website and when it may be available. He didn't have a ready answer so I offered to suggest readers keep an eye open for it. He agreed that it would be a good idea.

Information from their previous site is posted below.

My conclusion from this thread: This is GOOD! :) The internet and connections between individuals will help reduce the amount of abuse that goes on because people are (1) not fully informed of the facts, (2) unaware that many others are in the same or a similar situation, (3) financially unable to mount their own defense, (4) unable to find others to create a united defense. The internet WILL connect those who are abused and abusers had best watch out.

Next step?

Until the new wiki site is available at www.youmaybenext.com, I can offer the "news" feature on Local4All.com as a means of sharing information about abusers and what they are doing. We can also list links that are related to a particular type of abuse. Go to http://forms.local4all.com and select the news form. Enter "abuse" as a keyword. Price should not be a barrier, it's free. Family-friendly, child-safe content only, please.

Any questions, feel free to send me an email ([email protected]).

Carl Bromley

Local4All.com

Kittanning, PA USA 16201

Re "www.youmaybenext.com", this text is found on their current site:

Defending the net! We are working on a wiki and will be up shortly. + a construction sign.

For anyone interested in getting a general idea of the outcome, the following four paragraphs were copied from archives of their site dated May 2007:

From the previous site that we will be honoring:

PanIP has dismissed it case against the PanIP Group Defense Fund, Inc. and its individual members in exchange for a waiver of the attorney fee award granted to the PGDF. The PGDF did not take a license of any kind from PanIP.

The validity of both of PanIP's patents (Patent No 5,576,951 & Patent No. 6,289,319) is currently being reviewed by the USPTO in reference to prior art submissions that the PGDF and its legal counsel (Jon Hangartner of Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLC) submitted during this case.

Due to the fact that the PGDF is no longer involved in a legal dispute with PanIP, the Group will soon be dissolved. We offer our sincere thanks and appreciation to all that supported our efforts. I especially thank the other small business owners who joined with me to make this stand and spent a lot of their hard earned money for a cause that likely benefited numerous other business owners.

Carl Bromley

"Tell everyone what you want to do and someone will want to help you do it."

W. Clement Stone

Hi, Im new here but just came across this topic and it intriged me, since to my knowledge ideas aren't paitentable, they should've had some sort of infustructure in place for this idea to become a paitent in the first place. If ideas were I would be able to sue 1,000s of companys, for the simplest things, so I think there just trying to make some money.

Oh, my, my. I must spend too much time reading Slashdot, because this idea doesn't sound strange at all. It's being done on a daily basis in every field of human intellectual endeavor from music to software. In addition to patenting the idea of selling stuff on the Internets, we can be edified by the ongoing machinations of SCO, the brutal and utterly frivolous lawsuits filed by the RIAA, and the fact that IBM has just seen fit to donate IP to humanity as a whole--no strings attached.

The idea here is that if somebody feels they can make some money, they will take a chance and go ahead and sue. Some folks will stand fast and say, "Here's the address of my lawyer." Some folks will be chased away. Some folks will pay.

Twenty years ago the joke was that the Russian Orthodox Church was planning to sue Microsoft and Apple for stealing the idea of icons. Back then it was a joke. Now it doesn't sound quite as funny. If they come after me, I'll probably be in the group that says, "Take your best shot..."

(Sorry. I need to get away from this computer, where I am being held captive...) :-)

Anne

(Sorry. I need to get away from this computer, where I am being held captive...) :-)

Anne

LOL, Anne. Me too!

Carl Bromley

"Tell everyone what you want to do and someone will want to help you do it."

W. Clement Stone

I reported this to the Attorney General of California stating that I was somewhat fearful of opening an online business for fear of being sued by this company. If anyone else feels the same way they can send in a general consumer complaint. I would imagine, the more the better. http://caag.state.ca.us/contact/index.htm

Last post 2002....it is now 2007 and I don't see the death of ecommerce yet !

Patents Office has a little somthing called "Prior Art" and if someone tries to patent something that was already in common use either the Patent office won't issue a patent or must revoke it if contested on that grounds. One company with deep pockets probably took this to the courts and won since there is no more mention of this greedy bastard !

• 3 months later...

Hi,

First off I highly recommend you take a look at this Documentary which you can grab from any torrent site.

Has anyone seen the DVD called the "Corporation" that was released the year 2003 (approx) well in this movie/documentary there was a lot of insightful stuff on corporations and corporate greed, then something suddenly caught my attention and was a terms that I was not familiar with and I had never come across before it was called "Creative commons" or "The commons"

Basically there are at this very moment members for congress and people in high power positions trying to lobby governments into believing that (This will sound silly) but EVERYTHING is to be owned by someone or something..

I'm not just talking about the local shop of the high-street or the bit of land next door, I mean a stretch of river not just one part of that river but the whole stretch of that river; person A owns one part then person 'B'; own's the next, and so on, and so forth.

Like I sad its not just the rivers they are even talking about 'Air' (Yes the air we breath...

Scientists inn the early 1980/90's when they first started to map the human genome they had one main motivation and that was to be the first pharmaceuticals company to map that segment of code of the 'double-Helix' so that they could patient it and then anyone who uses that part of DNA genome for any research in the future they will own this is some real scary stuff, just think were not talking about the average government institution we are talking about Corporations major multi-conglomerates who have powers of small country and can crush and do practically what every they like, so when you talk to me about Mr. Joe. Blogs is going to sue me for using OSC if i am commencing a sale via the application I say that there are far greater things to worry about than that.

But, yet again though, that goes to show how the world and minds are slowly changing to the gradual take-up of world resources (I now its a bit off-topic here) from water reserves through to gas and oil and speaking of oil look at where the latest influx of interest has began to take hold.

Final words, We are in a mixed up world where it's no longer the people who has the last say about what happen in our world, it's the greedy capitalist corporations who are taking steps to control resources that are not meant to be messed with/owned/manipulates or purchased.

But, what can I do but educate my child as to what is really happening in the world and how it really is not what or how we are told it is being played out for us. Oh, how I love watching the daily News all politically motivated which corporate agendas (Even worse in the good old U.S of A ) but hey I'm in the UK and my news is just as sanitized are the US with Murdock son running things and Richard Branson launching the Virgin TV services there will be even more geo0political crap rammed down our throats day and night so excuse me if I sound a bit cynical about how some bad man wants to sue me I say LOL bring it on... that will be the least of my worries ..

Well in most business across teh world all use some type of computers to automate and do sales or take money online, i also belive that most courts in teh world have a compter system which uses telephone lines to take payment for fines etc that ppl pay using debit or credit cards, this mean he hadto take the courts to court, i dont think that will work , it will get revoked!!

if you can see my meaning , it depends on how teh patent has been written up and had to detail ever thing in that pantent, i havnt read it yet , bt i will have a good look, id liek to see him take on the govements of the world because they all do transaction over computer based systems!!!

but thanx for bring this to my attention

• 1 month later...

NO. Just a big fat NO! This is like trying to patent cookies in general. It shouldn't be legal and I have NO CLUE how the US government would let such GREEDY SOBs patent this! Their patent on general e-commerce needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY imo. This pisses me the fu$@ off...

I have NO CLUE how the US government would let such GREEDY SOBs patent this!

Whilst I agree with the sentiment you have to realise that the same Government is allowing companies to patent parts of the Human Genome. If they are stupid enough to allow that they are stupid enough to allow anything.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...

When one apply for a patent, the office only cares about two things. Has it been apply for before and if so how similar are they.

That's where creative commons and court come in. Basicly someone just needs to prove/show a judge that there were shopping carts in existence prior to the patent and it will void out the patent. That will also sent precedence to stop other from trying the same thing. Which is what probably happened to this person.

Off to court --> judge laughs at person, says "yeah, right!!" then closes case.

So allowing to obtain a patent and holding up in court are two different things.

its all a crock of $hit and the less attention we give it the better.

why are people so afraid of a legally worded letter?

americans are litigation crazy!

Don't believe this, this is BS, if this was true then Kmart, Walmart, Home Depot and all other retail stores could also be sued. Let's see a copy of the filed court docs on these suits or better yet, lets see a copy of the patent documents. Whoever is going around starting this nonsense of a rumor should be shot. This is like saying you can be sued a million dollars for your dog crapying on the sidewalk in a park. It's just nonsense.

I saw this on Tech TV a few days ago. This is not just some lawyers trying to make some money. These people did get approval for two patents and are suing over 50 companies so far. The first patent covers all types of e-commerce. The second covers transactions that are transmitted through a telephone line and a terminal screen (ATM machines). Everyone should check out http://www.youmaybenext.com for more information on this subject.

Regards

Wayne

WOW I can't believe this thread is still going! :lol:

Yeap, we should all be affraid... NOT <_<

(w00t) :P :wacko:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

• 1 month later...
WOW I can't believe this thread is still going! :lol:

Yeap, we should all be affraid... NOT <_<

(w00t) :P :wacko:

And I can't believe anyone outside the USA is still taking the stuff coming out of there seriously. But that is an altogether different problem.

Well this is the biggest load of c**p i have ever read on any forum. I thought this forum was suppossed to be helping the wider community with their site mods/contributions, all this thread does is show you how many people live with their head in the sand and their butts in the air. Not Impressed :angry:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived