• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy way to have better conversion rate

TheJackal

If you want to have a better conversion rate, I suggest your store disable sending the welcome email.

Since I disable it, I find

1. No more complaints about "Didn't sign up for your website"

2. Slightly better conversion rate (The purchases went up since I disabled..but I don't discount there could be other factors)

I attribute the reason for better conversion rate to lesser annoyance. Everyone knows that the crucial period is between signup and checkout process. If the customer receives the registration email during checkout process, it will annoy or surprise them. This may turn them off enough to abandon the cart altogether. (since they still haven't fully checkout).

To disable, simply goto catalog/create_account.php and comment off this line

// tep_mail($name, $email_address, EMAIL_SUBJECT, $email_text, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

You may need to modify the words in catalog/languages/english/create_account_success.php if you have mentioned that they will receive an email upon successful signup.

define('TEXT_ACCOUNT_CREATED', 'Congratulations! Your new account has been successfully created.")

I guess this is a case of getting stuck in programmer's mentality (sending cool system things like registration emails etc) and forgetting the basics of converting a sale. :) Hope this helps.

- The Jackal

Interesting. I'm always looking for ways to improve my conversion rates!

I'm not making sales at a fast enough rate to get immediate results on how things are affecting my conversion rate, but when I am, I'm hopefully gonna be finding plenty of tweaks here and there.

Read the forum rules...

I implemented a few ways to tweak and increase the conversion rates of people who are already at your website:

The must have:

1. Customer Login contribution

- Redirect checkout page to create_account

- Highly effective..increases conversion by 15-25%

- Only a few lines of changes

Nice to have:

2. Recover Cart Sales contribution

- Recover lost sales of 1%-3% (without offering coupons)

- Recover lost sales of 5%-10% (offering discount coupons)

3. Fast Easy Checkout contribution

- Reduces checkout steps

- Can be complicated to implement

The next step to improving conversion sales would be:

4. Google Checkout?

Any more that I am missing out?

- The Jackal

A big one is to remove coupon functionality, I've heard this can have a BIG effect on conversion.

Combine login & Signup pages. Although I send them to the signup page, with a link to the login page if they already have an account (check it out at http://www.WizmoMagic.co.uk )

I'm also currently developing a custom split-test system so I can split-test pages

Read the forum rules...

Absolutely right..having a coupon functionality would put in a 'could have been cheaper' thought into their minds and hinder the checkout process.

However, if it is implemented with a hidden link, it should help greatly in increasing sales from existing or potential customers during a newsletter blast.

Great tip Hade!

- The Jackal

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely right..having a coupon functionality would put in a 'could have been cheaper' thought into their minds and hinder the checkout process.

However, if it is implemented with a hidden link, it should help greatly in increasing sales from existing or potential customers during a newsletter blast.

Great tip Hade!

By hidden link, do you mean one that would be included in the newsletter? Any direction on how to hide it from regular visitors?

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

By hidden link, do you mean one that would be included in the newsletter? Any direction on how to hide it from regular visitors?

By hidden, I mean anything that is not obvious. So for example, instead of the name 'coupon or discount code', it could be embedded into 'comments' field. Yes, there is also a discount link implementation. I am not sure which contribution but I thought it was CCGV contribution but it could have been discount code contribution too.

- The Jackal

If you want to have a better conversion rate, I suggest your store disable sending the welcome email.

Since I disable it, I find

1. No more complaints about "Didn't sign up for your website"

2. Slightly better conversion rate (The purchases went up since I disabled..but I don't discount there could be other factors)

I attribute the reason for better conversion rate to lesser annoyance. Everyone knows that the crucial period is between signup and checkout process. If the customer receives the registration email during checkout process, it will annoy or surprise them. This may turn them off enough to abandon the cart altogether. (since they still haven't fully checkout).

To disable, simply goto catalog/create_account.php and comment off this line

// tep_mail($name, $email_address, EMAIL_SUBJECT, $email_text, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

You may need to modify the words in catalog/languages/english/create_account_success.php if you have mentioned that they will receive an email upon successful signup.

define('TEXT_ACCOUNT_CREATED', 'Congratulations! Your new account has been successfully created.")

I guess this is a case of getting stuck in programmer's mentality (sending cool system things like registration emails etc) and forgetting the basics of converting a sale. :) Hope this helps.

I find this post scarey tbh!!

If someone is going to complain about "Didn't sign up for your website" then WAS it the right email address? DID they genuinely buy from your website? WAS it their card?

I've not had a problem like this out of thousands of orders and I recon you are setting yourself up for fraud (just my opinion).

I WANT to send the email and I WANT them to read it and understand that they bought from my shop.

The main reason I reply to this post is that I believe it is EXTREMELY bad advice for others.

If someone is going to complain about "Didn't sign up for your website" then WAS it the right email address? DID they genuinely buy from your website? WAS it their card?

I've not had a problem like this out of thousands of orders and I recon you are setting yourself up for fraud (just my opinion).

I WANT to send the email and I WANT them to read it and understand that they bought from my shop.

The main reason I reply to this post is that I believe it is EXTREMELY bad advice for others.

One of the first things I did, before even going live, was to take out this step. It saves a step on the checkout process AND it saves your customers from getting an extra annoying e-mail. I wasn't thinking about someone saying they didn't sign up, I was just trying to streamline the checkout process. I haven't had any issues at all with this. I have had 2 fraud attempts, but both were caught by the AVS system, and having that page wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

I think getting rid of this checkout step is a good idea. :rolleyes:

Adrienne

One of the first things I did, before even going live, was to take out this step. It saves a step on the checkout process AND it saves your customers from getting an extra annoying e-mail. I wasn't thinking about someone saying they didn't sign up, I was just trying to streamline the checkout process. I haven't had any issues at all with this. I have had 2 fraud attempts, but both were caught by the AVS system, and having that page wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

I think getting rid of this checkout step is a good idea. :rolleyes:

Adrienne

Ok I've had a few beers so i may have missed the obvious.

But .. what step did you save??? .. all I see here is eradicating the email!!

Ok I've had a few beers so i may have missed the obvious.

But .. what step did you save??? .. all I see here is eradicating the email!!

The base OSC (or at least the version I started with (2.2 MS 2, but not sure which release date - I downloaded in April 2005) had the checkout process like this:

create_account

create_account_success

checkout_shipping

The create_account_success page does nothing except add an extra step to the checkout process and send an e-mail to the customer saying they successfully created an account. But really, once they get to the next step in the checkout process, that is already obvious. So I deleted that page entirely. Now it goes from create_account directly to checkout_shipping and sends no e-mail at that point. That was the step I saved. :)

Adrienne

Hmmm good point I suppose, never really thought about it.

We never had fraud issues. Like Adrienne said, this step does nothing much. When the customers buy, there will be an order confirmation email sent to them. My question is how does sending another email (sign up) to the same address make it any safer for you and the customer? Thus, I don't think this is bad advice...and definitely not EXTREMELY bad advice. :)

- The Jackal

We never had fraud issues. Like Adrienne said, this step does nothing much. When the customers buy, there will be an order confirmation email sent to them. My question is how does sending another email (sign up) to the same address make it any safer for you and the customer? Thus, I don't think this is bad advice...and definitely not EXTREMELY bad advice. :)

No quite right, my understanding was the order emails were removed. Should have read it better shouldn't I!!

No quite right, my understanding was the order emails were removed. Should have read it better shouldn't I!!

huh? no order emails? Is that acceptable?

- The Jackal

huh? no order emails? Is that acceptable?

No .. that is my misunderstanding .. they deleted the account creation confirmation only.

• 3 weeks later...
The base OSC (or at least the version I started with (2.2 MS 2, but not sure which release date - I downloaded in April 2005) had the checkout process like this:

create_account

create_account_success

checkout_shipping

The create_account_success page does nothing except add an extra step to the checkout process and send an e-mail to the customer saying they successfully created an account. But really, once they get to the next step in the checkout process, that is already obvious. So I deleted that page entirely. Now it goes from create_account directly to checkout_shipping and sends no e-mail at that point. That was the step I saved. :)

Adrienne

Sorry if I've missed it but how does commenting out the line that sends the email skip the create_account_success page, surely it just doesn't send an email but the page is still there and still has to be navigated through during checkout?

Sorry if I've missed it but how does commenting out the line that sends the email skip the create_account_success page, surely it just doesn't send an email but the page is still there and still has to be navigated through during checkout?

We are talking about different things.

The skip create_account is a commonly used technique to reduce redundant step(s) in the check out process. There are many such contributions

Combined Login (simple to implement and cuts 1 screen)

Fast Easy Checkout (more difficult to implement but cuts 2 screens in checkout process)

Many forumers have reported sales improvement through installing these mods. Check out them to see if they work for you.

- The Jackal

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just put in a contribution called 2gether discounts by boxtel. It is truly a hidden gem and the best mod that I have installed as far as increasing conversion rates. It increased the store sales by about 12%! Awesome!

Basically, this mod allows you to proactively recommend another product and you can give discount when they buy together. I installed this contribution together with a optional bonus add-on for shopping cart. It works really well for bundle discounts. I have yet to see significant sales conversion when there is no discount to the bundle (cross selling).

It's worth checking it out.

Contributions targeted at increasing conversion rates (in order of effectiveness)

========================================================

1. 2gether discount

2. Customer Login (simple)

3. Fast Easy Checkout (complicated)

4. Recover cart Sales

5. Purchase without account

Is there anymore hidden gems that I have missed?

- The Jackal

• 7 months later...

Having both the customer login mod and the mod that skips the success page is causing a little error icon in my browser. It says, invalid character line 108, character 44 - but I can't find it. Can anyone help, please?

<?php
/*
 $Id: create_account.php,v 1.65 2003/06/09 23:03:54 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

// needs to be included earlier to set the success message in the messageStack
 require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT);

$process = false;
 if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'process')) {
$process = true;

if (ACCOUNT_GENDER == 'true') {
  if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['gender'])) {
	$gender = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['gender']);
  } else {
	$gender = false;
  }
}
$firstname = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['firstname']);
$lastname = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['lastname']);
if (ACCOUNT_DOB == 'true') $dob = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['dob']);
$email_address = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['email_address']);
if (ACCOUNT_COMPANY == 'true') $company = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['company']);
$street_address = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['street_address']);
if (ACCOUNT_SUBURB == 'true') $suburb = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['suburb']);
$postcode = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['postcode']);
$city = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['city']);
if (ACCOUNT_STATE == 'true') {
  $state = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['state']);
  if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['zone_id'])) {
	$zone_id = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['zone_id']);
  } else {
	$zone_id = false;
  }
}
$country = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['country']);
$telephone = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['telephone']);
$fax = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['fax']);
if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['newsletter'])) {
  $newsletter = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['newsletter']);
} else {
  $newsletter = false;
}
$password = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['password']);
$confirmation = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['confirmation']);

$error = false;

if ( ($gender != 'm') && ($gender != 'f') ) {
	$error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_GENDER_ERROR);
  }
}

if (strlen($firstname) < ENTRY_FIRST_NAME_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_FIRST_NAME_ERROR);
}

if (strlen($lastname) < ENTRY_LAST_NAME_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_LAST_NAME_ERROR);
}

if (ACCOUNT_DOB == 'true') {
  if (checkdate(substr(tep_date_raw($dob), 4, 2), substr(tep_date_raw($dob), 6, 2), substr(tep_date_raw($dob), 0, 4)) == false) {
	$error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH_ERROR);
  }
}

if (strlen($email_address) < ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_ERROR);
} elseif (tep_validate_email($email_address) == false) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_CHECK_ERROR);
} else {
  $check_email_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_email_address = '" . tep_db_input($email_address) . "'");
  $check_email = tep_db_fetch_array($check_email_query);
  if ($check_email['total'] > 0) {
	$error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_ERROR_EXISTS);
  }
}

if (strlen($street_address) < ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_ERROR);
}

if (strlen($postcode) < ENTRY_POSTCODE_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_POST_CODE_ERROR);
}

if (strlen($city) < ENTRY_CITY_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_CITY_ERROR);
}

if (is_numeric($country) == false) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_COUNTRY_ERROR);
}

$zone_id = 0;
  $check_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "'");
  $check = tep_db_fetch_array($check_query);
  $entry_state_has_zones = ($check['total'] > 0);
  if ($entry_state_has_zones == true) {
	$zone_query = tep_db_query("select distinct zone_id from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "' and (zone_name like '" . tep_db_input($state) . "%' or zone_code like '%" . tep_db_input($state) . "%')");
	if (tep_db_num_rows($zone_query) == 1) {
	  $zone = tep_db_fetch_array($zone_query);
	  $zone_id = $zone['zone_id'];
	} else {
	  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_STATE_ERROR_SELECT);
	}
  } else {
	if (strlen($state) < ENTRY_STATE_MIN_LENGTH) {
	  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_STATE_ERROR);
	}
  }
}

if (strlen($telephone) < ENTRY_TELEPHONE_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_ERROR);
}

if (strlen($password) < ENTRY_PASSWORD_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_PASSWORD_ERROR);
} elseif ($password != $confirmation) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('create_account', ENTRY_PASSWORD_ERROR_NOT_MATCHING);
}

if ($error == false) {
  $sql_data_array = array('customers_firstname' => $firstname,
						  'customers_lastname' => $lastname,
						  'customers_email_address' => $email_address,
						  'customers_telephone' => $telephone,
						  'customers_fax' => $fax,
						  'customers_newsletter' => $newsletter,
						  'customers_password' => tep_encrypt_password($password));

if (ACCOUNT_GENDER == 'true') $sql_data_array['customers_gender'] = $gender;
  if (ACCOUNT_DOB == 'true') $sql_data_array['customers_dob'] = tep_date_raw($dob);

tep_db_perform(TABLE_CUSTOMERS, $sql_data_array);

$customer_id = tep_db_insert_id();

$sql_data_array = array('customers_id' => $customer_id,
						  'entry_firstname' => $firstname,
						  'entry_lastname' => $lastname,
						  'entry_street_address' => $street_address,
						  'entry_postcode' => $postcode,
						  'entry_city' => $city,
						  'entry_country_id' => $country);

if (ACCOUNT_GENDER == 'true') $sql_data_array['entry_gender'] = $gender;
  if (ACCOUNT_COMPANY == 'true') $sql_data_array['entry_company'] = $company;
  if (ACCOUNT_SUBURB == 'true') $sql_data_array['entry_suburb'] = $suburb;
	if ($zone_id > 0) {
	  $sql_data_array['entry_zone_id'] = $zone_id;
	  $sql_data_array['entry_state'] = '';
	} else {
	  $sql_data_array['entry_zone_id'] = '0';
	  $sql_data_array['entry_state'] = $state;
	}
  }

tep_db_perform(TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK, $sql_data_array);

$address_id = tep_db_insert_id();

tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " set customers_default_address_id = '" . (int)$address_id . "' where customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "'");

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_INFO . " (customers_info_id, customers_info_number_of_logons, customers_info_date_account_created) values ('" . (int)$customer_id . "', '0', now())");

if (SESSION_RECREATE == 'True') {
	tep_session_recreate();
  }

$customer_first_name = $firstname;
  $customer_default_address_id = $address_id;
  $customer_country_id = $country;
  $customer_zone_id = $zone_id;
  tep_session_register('customer_id');
  tep_session_register('customer_first_name');
  tep_session_register('customer_default_address_id');
  tep_session_register('customer_country_id');
  tep_session_register('customer_zone_id');

// restore cart contents
  $cart->restore_contents();

// build the message content
  $name = $firstname . ' ' . $lastname;

if ($gender == 'm') {
	   $email_text = sprintf(EMAIL_GREET_MR, $lastname);
	 } else {
	   $email_text = sprintf(EMAIL_GREET_MS, $lastname);
	 }
  } else {
	$email_text = sprintf(EMAIL_GREET_NONE, $firstname);
  }

$email_text .= EMAIL_WELCOME . EMAIL_TEXT . EMAIL_CONTACT . EMAIL_WARNING;
  // Skips create account success - Begin	  

if ($cart->count_contents() == 0) {
	  tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));
  }
  else {
	  tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));
}
  }
 }
// Skips create account success - End

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));
?>
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE ?>  : <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></title>
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
<?php require('includes/form_check.js.php'); ?>
</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">
<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">
 <tr>
<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- left_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>
<!-- left_navigation_eof //-->
</table></td>
<!-- body_text //-->
<td width="100%" valign="top"><?php echo tep_draw_form('create_account', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'), 'post', 'onSubmit="return check_form(create_account);"') . tep_draw_hidden_field('action', 'process'); ?><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
	  <tr>
		<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_account.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="smallText"><br><?php echo sprintf(TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, tep_get_all_get_params(), 'SSL')); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
<?php
 if ($messageStack->size('create_account') > 0) {
?>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo $messageStack->output('create_account'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
	  <tr>
		<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_PERSONAL; ?></b></td>
	   <td class="inputRequirement" align="right"><?php echo FORM_REQUIRED_INFORMATION; ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
	  <tr class="infoBoxContents">
		<td><table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">
<?php
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_GENDER; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_radio_field('gender', 'm') . '  ' . MALE . '  ' . tep_draw_radio_field('gender', 'f') . '  ' . FEMALE . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_GENDER_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_GENDER_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_FIRST_NAME; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('firstname') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_FIRST_NAME_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_FIRST_NAME_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_LAST_NAME; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('lastname') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_LAST_NAME_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_LAST_NAME_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 if (ACCOUNT_DOB == 'true') {
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('dob') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_DATE_OF_BIRTH_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('email_address') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
<?php
 if (ACCOUNT_COMPANY == 'true') {
?>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_COMPANY; ?></b></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_COMPANY; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('company') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_COMPANY_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_COMPANY_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_ADDRESS; ?></b></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('street_address') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 if (ACCOUNT_SUBURB == 'true') {
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_SUBURB; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('suburb') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_SUBURB_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_SUBURB_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_POST_CODE; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('postcode') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_CITY; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('city') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_CITY_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_CITY_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
<?php
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_STATE; ?></td>
			<td class="main">
<?php
if ($process == true) {
  if ($entry_state_has_zones == true) {
	$zones_array = array();
	$zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = '" . (int)$country . "' order by zone_name");
	while ($zones_values = tep_db_fetch_array($zones_query)) {
	  $zones_array[] = array('id' => $zones_values['zone_name'], 'text' => $zones_values['zone_name']);
	}
	echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('state', $zones_array);
  } else {
	echo tep_draw_input_field('state');
  }
} else {
  echo tep_draw_input_field('state');
}

if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_STATE_TEXT)) echo ' <span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_STATE_TEXT;
?>
			</td>
		  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_COUNTRY; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_get_country_list('country') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_COUNTRY_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_CONTACT; ?></b></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('telephone') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_FAX_NUMBER; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('fax') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_FAX_NUMBER_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_FAX_NUMBER_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_OPTIONS; ?></b></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_NEWSLETTER; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_checkbox_field('newsletter', '1') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_NEWSLETTER_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_NEWSLETTER_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><b><?php echo CATEGORY_PASSWORD; ?></b></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_PASSWORD; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_password_field('password') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_PASSWORD_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_PASSWORD_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo ENTRY_PASSWORD_CONFIRMATION; ?></td>
			<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_password_field('confirmation') . ' ' . (tep_not_null(ENTRY_PASSWORD_CONFIRMATION_TEXT) ? '<span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_PASSWORD_CONFIRMATION_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
  <tr>
		<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
		  <tr>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
			<td><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE); ?></td>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
</table></form></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->
<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- right_navigation //-->
<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>
<!-- right_navigation_eof //-->
</table></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

<!-- footer //-->
<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->
<br>
</body>
</html>
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

No sure if i would remove the welcome email, this is good for business as it tells the customer what they can do with the account, i found it better to keep the welcome email that is sent to the customer but to send them straight to the checkout page and remove the create account success page as i don't see the point in having it and it removes one click, this was very easily done in the login page.

So the customer still gets the email so they are happy and it takes out one page, again the customers is happy, win win..

I have seen a improvement in sales and no one leaves to check the email box because we have told them we have sent them an email, and that has happened before to us a few times.

Feel free to see how its works on are site, but use test for name as we will delete all test accounts within a few hours.

Store

• 1 month later...

Here's how I increased conversion for my store:

1 - make sure the contact page has good info on it and a nice picture of a pen and paper instead of the default

2 - make sure you have a good privacy policy. this is very important and on my site, it is viewed about 15% of the time

3 - give people a reason to trust you like getting a website trust logo. i use Trust Guard which is very effective and it's the cheapest solution out there. once i put up the seals, i saw my conversion went up by double digits.

4 - make sure the checkout page has SSL

5 - display testimonials (even if it's fake as long as it is true to your company policy)

Here's how I increased conversion for my store:

1 - make sure the contact page has good info on it and a nice picture of a pen and paper instead of the default

2 - make sure you have a good privacy policy. this is very important and on my site, it is viewed about 15% of the time

3 - give people a reason to trust you like getting a website trust logo. i use Trust Guard which is very effective and it's the cheapest solution out there. once i put up the seals, i saw my conversion went up by double digits.

4 - make sure the checkout page has SSL

5 - display testimonials (even if it's fake as long as it is true to your company policy)

I presume by 'Seals' you mean not just one but all 4 seals package? Gotta try it! Thanks for the suggestion

- The Jackal

• 2 weeks later...

While I was still exploring putting the seals, I made a minor modification to our checkout button in the meantime.

I added a 'secure lock' icon beside the default wording and noticed immediately that the conversion rates went up slightly since. You can also try changing the mouse over tool tips message from the default 'checkout' to 'Secure Checkout' in languages file.

I think this is great ROI for such a minor tweak. Hope it helps.

- The Jackal

• 3 weeks later...

Archived