• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Methods per Product

rwest

From what I have read, MVS will certainly do what I need, but oh so much more! I don't want to jump into such a big contribution when I don't need most of it's features. I only need to ship with USPS. I want to give the customer the choice of shipping some products either Priority Mail or Express Mail, while some other products include the choice of First Class Mail as an additional shipping choice along with the other two. Is there a way to do this, or can someone point me to a contribution which will do this?

thanks,

Ron

I installed MVS early 2006 and haven't upgraded since, so hopefully the contrib writer can pipe in if mods have been made since to counter what I suggest.

Ok .... lets say you have 5 widgets.

Widget 1 can only be shipped via USPS First Class Mail.

Widget 2 and 3 can only be shipped via USPS Priority

Widget 4 can be shipped via any USPS choice.

Widget 5 can only be shipped via Express.

SO, in your MVS admin area. You set up your first vendor spot with the shipping preference combo that will be used by the most of your products.

Vendor 1: ABC Company - First Class. Fill in address etc. And assign shipping to First Class.

Vendor 2: ABC Company - Priority. Fill in the same info again. Assign shipping to USPS Priority.

Vendor 3: ABC Company - Express. Fill in the same info again. Assign Express.

Vendor 4: ABC Company - ALL USPS. Fill in the same info again. Assign ass USPS shipping methods.

Another words, your one vendor will be listed as many times as you need to accommodate the various shipping combos you need.

So, when you create a product (or assign current products), you can designate in the drop down menu in the product creation screen, which shipping method you need.

This can also be done if you have multi vendors of whom some may have a couple of different shipping options depending on the product. Some products are shipped a different way compared to the bulk of their products. So you can setup a separate Vendor label just for those special shipping products.

I hope I made that a little clearer than mud *grins*

I installed MVS early 2006 and haven't upgraded since, so hopefully the contrib writer can pipe in if mods have been made since to counter what I suggest.

Ok .... lets say you have 5 widgets.

I hope I made that a little clearer than mud *grins*

Definitely clearer than mud, thanks. I do have a question, though, about how this contribution may change the way that the shipping module works for USPS. I have the uspsMethods contribution installed. It uses the USPS api to contact the servers at USPS to look up rates during checkout. Can anyone tell me if this will work with MVS?

Ron

Ron,

I'm sorry ... I'm not familiar with the USPSMethods contrib. I just know that I can use any of the shipping methods installed by default (table rate, flat rate, per item, usps, ups, fedex) or any you add to your shipping method list. I get live USPS rates, so I assume it's using the api also. Another words, I didn't have to install anything extra for USPS or UPS for it to work properly with MVS.

If you wish to see it in action at my store, PM me and I'll respond with a test account you can go into and test.

Ron,

I'm sorry ... I'm not familiar with the USPSMethods contrib. I just know that I can use any of the shipping methods installed by default (table rate, flat rate, per item, usps, ups, fedex) or any you add to your shipping method list. I get live USPS rates, so I assume it's using the api also. Another words, I didn't have to install anything extra for USPS or UPS for it to work properly with MVS.

If you wish to see it in action at my store, PM me and I'll respond with a test account you can go into and test.

I have it installed and I am testing MVS 1.1. I have a bad feeling about this working for me, however. Let me ask you one question. If you have a customer who buys 2 products, and each product is assigned to a vendor/shipping method. In this case Vendor1 is USPS Priority Mail, and Vendor2 is a combination of 2 methods, USPS Priority and USPS First Class.

On the item that the customer has a shipping choice, if he chooses to go Priority Mail, then both items will be shipped Priority Mail. In this example, how much is the customer charged for shipping? In my tests he is being charged for 2 separate Priority Mail charges, even though I will be puting both products into 1 box. Is this normal operation of MVS?

-Ron