• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SEO-G

is there a place where the .html files that are automatically created stored? i wanted to edit one of the files .html because i need to add some html to that, and i cannot edit the .php version of the file to add the html (its for an image map)

can someone please help

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@puggybelle

Sorry, no time so just a really short answer..

guess you have links to soaps-in-depth-eileen-davidson-rick-hearst on more then one page. so you get different links to the same product. thats normal

you can make all links to it equal if you like

dont know why some disappear, maybe I find some time later

@pure

read the manual...

Seo-g does not translate files to html. it only translates the name of the file for browsers and bots...

give more / specific information if you want help.

I work 80 hours a week so really dont want to guess your problem

Hi Robert: Yes, that makes sense. An item viewed from the New Products module or from search results or from browsing a category will generate a new URL...a new and different path to the same item.

Still wish I could figure out how to strip that -br- line break out of the URLs, though. I need to find a way to prevent that from being picked up to begin with. I was deleting the -br- out of the listings after installing this contrib, but...with new URLs being generated daily, there's no way to keep up with it.

I'd like it gone for cosmetic reasons; I don't like the way it looks, like....huh? What is that???

But, I'm also wondering if that would have any impact on SEO? Do you think it matters much...if at all...that the line break is in the URL? I'm assuming it doesn't matter, really. Guess I'm just fishing for some reassurance. :)

Hi Robert: Yes, that makes sense. An item viewed from the New Products module or from search results or from browsing a category will generate a new URL...a new and different path to the same item.

Still wish I could figure out how to strip that -br- line break out of the URLs, though. I need to find a way to prevent that from being picked up to begin with. I was deleting the -br- out of the listings after installing this contrib, but...with new URLs being generated daily, there's no way to keep up with it.

I'd like it gone for cosmetic reasons; I don't like the way it looks, like....huh? What is that???

But, I'm also wondering if that would have any impact on SEO? Do you think it matters much...if at all...that the line break is in the URL? I'm assuming it doesn't matter, really. Guess I'm just fishing for some reassurance. :)

after google indexed your links with br it will decrease your rankings to change them for some time

but if you are fast enough its ok as google needs some days or weeks

better you edit the function that creates the link before it is written to database.

in admin/includes/classes/seo_products.php

you need to add something like:

$seo_url = str_replace(br, , $seo_url);

ok, I had a look in seo_products, find: (line 39f)

if( $names_array = tep_db_fetch_array($name_query) ) {
 $name = $names_array['products_name'];
 $name =  $this->create_safe_string($name);
}
return $name;

and change to:

$name =  $this->create_safe_string($name);
}
$name = str_replace(br, , $name);
return $name;

no time to test, but I think it helps

more info: http://www.php.net/str_replace

and everybody, please: BACKUP all files you edit, FIRST

I just create a copy, called name_orig.php. and for later changes something like name_v1.php

maybe you can use a website to harddisk software to safe your pages, configured to use all links.

all possible links should be generated after that. but first add the replace thing..

then you can change all links to one product to be equal and only need to do this if you have new products or set one for the first time as special.

yes, seo means a lot of work and finetuning.. ;)

I guess its possible to write a rule for .htaccess to equalize product names without affacting google rankings. Remember me end of next year...

Edited by webandbeyond

there is a bug in my last post!

try this instead:

$name = str_replace(<br>, , $name);
 $name = $this->create_safe_string($name);
}
return $name;

my first solution will also kill wanted brs like breakfast -> eakfast

$name = $this->create_safe_string($name); kills the <>, so you need to remove <br> before create_safe_string.

In the Admin side of your website, do you have Configuration>Sessions>Prevent Spider Sessions set to True?

Is your spiders.txt file up to date? See this contrib to make sure your spiders.txt file is up to date:

Update Your Spiders.txt file

I went ahead and installed the updated spiders.txt file. It did not work to fix the problem. Any other suggestions?

John: Just so we're clear...

Are you seeing session IDs when navigating your website or are you seeing session IDs attached to your new URLs when in Admin looking at SEO-G>Reports?

Hi Robert:

I edited that snippet of code you suggested in admin>includes>classes>seo_products.php to read like this:

$name = str_replace(<br>, , $name);
 $name = $this->create_safe_string($name);
}
return $name;

I then added a test item to the site and...no dice. It's still rewriting the URL with -br- in it.

This is frustrating! I appreciate you trying to figure it out, though. :)

I'm wondering...I have an 'idea' in my head; let's see if I can articulate it. LOL.

You spoke of stripping the <br> before the item hits the database. The line break is not visible in the body of my listings. It's not visible in the title. There is no <br> in Admin in Categories/Products. BUT...the <br> is visible when running your mouse over my thumbnail photos when browsing categories. I'm trying to say...perhaps there's another file we need to edit?

Click Here.

Run your mouse over some of the product titles in the New Products box. The URLs are fine...of course, those are items that I must have manually edited the -br- out of in SEO-G>Reports. But...run your mouse over the thumbnail photo above the title of any of those items. See that <br> being picked up in the mouseover text? Perhaps we need to edit something else, too?

Me again. Robert?

I guess I should have looked at this previously, but didn't.

Regarding that code you gave me to insert in seo_products.php

I just went into Admin and SEO-G>G-Controller and when I click on the action button for Products...I get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting ')' in /home/julian99/public_html/test/admin/includes/classes/seo_products.php on line 41

I'm messing around with my test site, fortunately. :)

Me again. Robert?

I guess I should have looked at this previously, but didn't.

Regarding that code you gave me to insert in seo_products.php

I just went into Admin and SEO-G>G-Controller and when I click on the action button for Products...I get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting ')' in /home/julian99/public_html/test/admin/includes/classes/seo_products.php on line 41

I'm messing around with my test site, fortunately. :)

Hi Andrea

sorry, forgot the ""

$name = str_replace("<br>","", $name);

but its not the right place, so doesnt help

I had a look around and tried different locations, but no luck :(

maybe tomorrow..

John: Just so we're clear...

Are you seeing session IDs when navigating your website or are you seeing session IDs attached to your new URLs when in Admin looking at SEO-G>Reports?

I am seeing session ID's while navigating the store.....like below and while looking at SEO-G report there are no session ID's

html?osCsid=25bf6d79cac250c34650035f3be1e1cd

Edited by roady89

No session IDs in SEO-G>Reports? EXCELLENT.

When you first enter your website and click on ANYTHING...a session ID will be created.

But, when you continue to navigate around your site...clicking on various products and info pages and whatnot...the session ID should disappear from the URL in your browser.

That's perfectly normal. A session ID is created when the user first begins navigating your site, but should disappear from view when clicking around. When you first wrote, I thought...oh no. Do his new SEO urls have session id's on the end of them? If not...fabulous. :)

If you're uncomfortable posting a link to your site up here, send me a PM with the link to your website so I can see what it's doing. There should not be a session ID on every page I click on...only when I start clicking around. Hope that makes sense.

Thank You Puggybelle!! :D Just an update on my session ID' problem. It turned out to be in my includes/config.php file. HTTPS settings were wrong as well as a few others. Re-writes are working right now but I wont be "sure" everything is working until someone completes a transaction. The store was working before the installation of SEO-G so I don't know if these config edits will impact transactions yet....it shouldn't though.

Edited by roady89

Thank You Puggybelle!! :D Just an update on my session ID' problem. It turned out to be in my includes/config.php file. HTTPS settings were wrong as well as a few others. Re-writes are working right now but I wont be "sure" everything is working until someone completes a transaction. The store was working before the installation of SEO-G so I don't know if these config edits will impact transactions yet....it shouldn't though.

hi John,

why not make a test order? If you use paypal or other payment provider you can activate pay by cheque for a minute, do a test order and deactivate it again.

Best practice: edit the language file, so the cheque payment reads something like 'TEST - Do not use' in your shop

The payment pages are never spidered by google and other search engines, their bots do not create accounts or order.

For that reason checkout pages are not translated in my shops to avoid problems. (and because I dont have the time to check it at the moment).

So it does no harm, to deactivate your checkout pages if you get errors while doing your test order.

admin ->seo-g -> config -> SEO-G Process Secure Pages = false

How important, in the context of this contrib, is the htaccess bit? I was struggling so I asked my administrator for a hand (it's ok he's a friend of ours) and he says that it's only used for password protecting.

So what's up, do I need to do that bit or not?

How important, in the context of this contrib, is the htaccess bit? I was struggling so I asked my administrator for a hand (it's ok he's a friend of ours) and he says that it's only used for password protecting.

So what's up, do I need to do that bit or not?

Hi powerdrive ;),

I hope, he is just a hobby admin then.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

.htaccess (hypertext access) is the default name of Apache's directory-level configuration file. It provides the ability to customize configuration for requests to the particular directory.

.htaccess files are commonly used for:

* Authorization, authentication: .htaccess files are often used to specify the security restrictions for the particular directory, hence the filename "access". The .htaccess file is often accompanied by an .htpasswd file which stores valid usernames and their passwords.

* Customized error responses: Changing the page that is shown when a server-side error occurs, for example HTTP 404 Not Found.

* Rewriting URLs: Various server-side PHP scripts use .htaccess to rewrite "ugly" URLs to shorter and prettier ones.

He should start here: http://www.modrewrite.com/

and there: http://www.apacheref.com/ref/mod_rewrite.html

the answer to your question: no rewrite without a proper configured .htaccess file

and please tell your friend to please not give advice on things he doesn't know. Then there is more time to solve real problems ;)

regards

Robert

Edited by webandbeyond

Hi Robert:

Well...I finally figured out how to use the Minimum Words Length filter in SEO-G>Configuration. I had to empty all products first before it would take, but...it does exactly what I want it to...kinda, sorta.

What do you think of this? All I'm trying to do is strip the -br- out of the title. So, I insert a minimum words length setting of 3....meaning, all words with 2 characters or less will be ignored when the new URL is generated.

So, instead of Soap-Opera-Magazine-br-KIM-ZIMMER-ROBERT-NEWMAN

I get

Soap-Opera-Magazine-KIM-ZIMMER-ROBERT-NEWMAN

Perfect, right? Well...there's one thing, and I'm just asking for an opinion on this one.

I use the date of the publications in the title, too. And because I format the date of September 28, 2007 to read as:

9-28-07 in the title...there goes the date when the mininum words length filter hits it.

My question is: do you think, SEO-wise, that's a problem? In other words, does it really matter if the URL reads:

9-28-07-Soap-Opera-Magazine-KIM-ZIMMER-ROBERT-NEWMAN

versus

Should I make an effort to keep the date or, in terms of keywords, is the date irrelevant, especially in the way I format it in the titles? I'm not going to hand edit 2500 items to change the format of the date, so...do you think it's good or bad or means nothing at all to have the date stripped from the new URL?

Hi Robert:

Well...I finally figured out how to use the Minimum Words Length filter in SEO-G>Configuration. I had to empty all products first before it would take, but...it does exactly what I want it to...kinda, sorta.

What do you think of this? All I'm trying to do is strip the -br- out of the title. So, I insert a minimum words length setting of 3....meaning, all words with 2 characters or less will be ignored when the new URL is generated.

So, instead of Soap-Opera-Magazine-br-KIM-ZIMMER-ROBERT-NEWMAN

I get

Perfect, right? Well...there's one thing, and I'm just asking for an opinion on this one.

I use the date of the publications in the title, too. And because I format the date of September 28, 2007 to read as:

9-28-07 in the title...there goes the date when the mininum words length filter hits it.

My question is: do you think, SEO-wise, that's a problem? In other words, does it really matter if the URL reads:

9-28-07-Soap-Opera-Magazine-KIM-ZIMMER-ROBERT-NEWMAN

versus

Should I make an effort to keep the date or, in terms of keywords, is the date irrelevant, especially in the way I format it in the titles? I'm not going to hand edit 2500 items to change the format of the date, so...do you think it's good or bad or means nothing at all to have the date stripped from the new URL?

Hi Andrea,

great :)

I believe loosing the date is no problem. nearly nobody will use the date in search term. and if one really does, google displays unsorted stuff only far related and nobody will use the results but instead do another search without date.

for google 10-24-07 is the same as 24-07-10 and so on..

loosing two letter words is also not a SEO problem

do, it, we, he... are just overlooked by google and have no influence on the results

time for a backup ;)

I've installed this wonderful contribution and things seems to be working pretty well. Unfortunately while trying to figure what was what, I deleted some seo-g generated urls from the report page. Now, I've read that seo-g generates urls progressively. Is there anyway I can get it to regenerate those urls?

Plus, I added a new article to my site. I have the article contribution that is suppose to work with seo-g. However, the url for this new article is not in html. I have already gone to the seo-g zones to add that particular article in.

Any help please.

Can someone please give me a step-by-step guide on how to make SEO-G work on Article Manager.

I have one article which has a url: http://www.rmystore.co.uk/articles_tpath-1.html

and 2 topics with urls of: http://www.mystore.co.uk/article_info_articles_id-2.html and http://www.mystore.co.uk/article_info_articles_id-2.html

I figure that I need to set this up in admin/SEO_G/types but I don't know how to.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Graham.

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent contribution. We just installed the seo-g contribution and it is performing great. We just have one issue:

The page load times have dramatically increased in speed after we installed it. It takes around 30 sec for a page to load. We searched the forums and have seen people with this problem but no answers were found. We re-checked the changed files and everything seems to be correct. We have uploaded the latest version of this contribution. What would be the cause of an increase in time concerning every page load on our site? Is there any solution? This started occurring right after we installed this. Please let us know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks in advance,

Emily