• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SEO-G

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent contribution. We just installed the seo-g contribution and it is performing great. We just have one issue:

The page load times have dramatically increased in speed after we installed it. It takes around 30 sec for a page to load. We searched the forums and have seen people with this problem but no answers were found. We re-checked the changed files and everything seems to be correct. We have uploaded the latest version of this contribution. What would be the cause of an increase in time concerning every page load on our site? Is there any solution? This started occurring right after we installed this. Please let us know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks in advance,

Emily

Hi Emily,

I use seo-g for 2 shops now, but no speed problems.

It takes 3-4 seconds to generate each link the first time, but then it should be fine..

Can you please give some more information about your server?

shared hosting?

90% its the server, not seo-g.

so far

Robert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, i installed SERO-G and get the fellowing error:

I use STS 4.5.3

Fatal error: Call to a member function restart_capture() on a non-object in /home/public_html/includes/header.php on line 22

On line 22 is this

// START STS 4.1
$sts->restart_capture ('applicationtop2header');
// END STS 4.1

Can u help me please?

Regards from Germany

Hi!

I've got SEO-G installed and the admin portion is working just fine - picked up my cat and product names by default almost - and have followed the directions (three times) and still getting an error.

It's not redirecting to the rewritten URL (product-name.html) and I get a 404.

Here's the guts of my htaccess file:

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
# the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#   AllowOverride Options
# </Directory>
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
# Explorer browsers

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
 <IfDefine SSL>
   SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
            nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
            downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
 </IfDefine>
</IfModule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the
# following Apache configuration parameter
#
# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values
# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
# servers)
#
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
 php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
 php_value register_globals 1
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
 php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
 php_value register_globals 1
</IfModule>

#-MS- SEO-G Added
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
# Next line must be changed to match your osCommerce folder - the relative path
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*).html$ root.php?$1.html&%{QUERY_STRING}
#-MS- SEO-G Added EOM

my install is located in the root folder...

host has mod_rewrite installed...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

--Jeff

Anyone know if there is any outlet that would provide support for this for pay?

I really want to get this up and going, and would gladly pay for someone to help me make that happen.

Thanks in advance!

--Jeff

Hi Emily,

I use seo-g for 2 shops now, but no speed problems.

It takes 3-4 seconds to generate each link the first time, but then it should be fine..

Can you please give some more information about your server?

shared hosting?

90% its the server, not seo-g.

so far

Robert

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your response. We use Godaddy and have a shared server but use their premium plan. I know that the seo-g is affecting the speed because we turned it off in the admin panel and everything started to work fine. As soon as we turned it off the speed went back to normal. Do you know of any parts during installation of this contribution that would affect the speed? I will go back and look at everything I did during installation, but last time I checked it was correct. Please let us know your thoughts.

Thank you again,

Emily

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your response. We use Godaddy and have a shared server but use their premium plan. I know that the seo-g is affecting the speed because we turned it off in the admin panel and everything started to work fine. As soon as we turned it off the speed went back to normal. Do you know of any parts during installation of this contribution that would affect the speed? I will go back and look at everything I did during installation, but last time I checked it was correct. Please let us know your thoughts.

Thank you again,

Emily

Hi Emily

wow... where to begin...

first i just wanted to check godaddy's quality with google.

I only worked with one US hosting company, all others are located in Europe.

And I never had speed problems related to seo-g with them (tested with 2 live shops and 2 test shops, 4 different providers)

But after visiting some results of google I still dont know much about godaddys server qualitiy.. but (maybe) a lot about their customer care quality. And this seems to be more than poor.

look at wikipedia for godaddy. or noDaddy.com..

It looks like godaddy is like some big europe hosting companies that just want to make as much money as possible with as less effort as possible..

So as far as I can judge, I would recommend to switch to another company with better servers and cumstomer support.. Paying some more money for hosting is better than wasting time and money with a cheap hosting solution.

But as mentioned, I can only judge from google results. If some US people know more, please tell us.

regards

Robert

Hi Emily

wow... where to begin...

first i just wanted to check godaddy's quality with google.

I only worked with one US hosting company, all others are located in Europe.

And I never had speed problems related to seo-g with them (tested with 2 live shops and 2 test shops, 4 different providers)

But after visiting some results of google I still dont know much about godaddys server qualitiy.. but (maybe) a lot about their customer care quality. And this seems to be more than poor.

look at wikipedia for godaddy. or noDaddy.com..

It looks like godaddy is like some big europe hosting companies that just want to make as much money as possible with as less effort as possible..

So as far as I can judge, I would recommend to switch to another company with better servers and cumstomer support.. Paying some more money for hosting is better than wasting time and money with a cheap hosting solution.

But as mentioned, I can only judge from google results. If some US people know more, please tell us.

regards

Robert

Ok. Thanks for the help Robert. We will continue to look at our hosting and consider changing. Please let us know if you come up with this problem with another user.

Thank you again,

Emily

Ok. Thanks for the help Robert. We will continue to look at our hosting and consider changing. Please let us know if you come up with this problem with another user.

Thank you again,

Emily

Hi Emily,

just found out that I start setup of a new shop this week hosted on goDaddy..

so end of the week I can tell more about your problem

have a nice sunday

Robert

Hi All,

GREAT JOB DONE WITH THIS CONTRIB!!!!!!!

For more then a week we have struggled with almost all the SEO contribs and none of them worked correctly, some of them even messed up our complete database. Wish we had found SEO-G sooner.

This contrib is doing exactly what we want and more and smoothly.

Very professional installation and guidelines.

Thanks again!!

Marieke

iI seem to have developed a problem with one of my sites overnight, when i connect to the domain like this i get the cookie usage page

http://www.xxxxxxx.co.uk

if I connect like this

http://www.xxxxxxx.co.uk/index.html all is fine, I have had to change the Default Redirect Page to index.html to deal with this, any ideas?

Dan

Hi Emily,

just found out that I start setup of a new shop this week hosted on goDaddy..

so end of the week I can tell more about your problem

have a nice sunday

Robert

Hi Robert,

Great! We are still trying to figure this out. Please let us know.

Thank you again,

Emily

Has anyone ever seen the error in the admin tool after instalation... I am officially stuck :(

Warning: Division by zero in /home/myscom/public_html/admin/includes/classes/admin_page_results.php on line 67

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SEO_PAGE_SPLIT' at line 1

select at.seo_types_id, at.seo_types_name, at.seo_types_class, at.seo_types_prefix, at.seo_types_handler from seo_types at where seo_types_status='1' order by at.sort_order limit 0, SEO_PAGE_SPLIT

[TEP STOP]

Have you resolved this? I am having the same problem, but the issue isn't highly documented according to my reseach. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

I just discovered the hard way that this contrib does not work with Googlefeeder.

There are some notations in the googlefeeder.php file regarding SEO and if it's enabled...but I think it's only for those using a different SEO contrib.

Does anyone know how to modify the googlefeeder.php file to get it to work with this one, SEO-G?

All I get when I try to run it is the cookie usage page.

Hi all,

I have modified the files as per in the readme when i go to load the site up i get an error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/admin/public_html/includes/fucntions/general.php on line 25" would any one be able to help me with this?

Thanks

Graeme

Ok i deleted line 25 there was } that didn't fix the problem same error then i deleted two lines under that and the page now loads but None of the images are showing up. :( is anyone able to point me into the right direction?

Thanks heaps

Graeme

OMG I can't belive what my Hosting company did I was unable to remove the redirects from my domain controlpanel so i called suport so they could remove them for me, well they deleted every thing from the .htaccess file. Thank god i had this backed up but now when i enable seo-g (set to true) the main page comes up all the images are displayed but if i click on a link it comes up with a blank page what can cause this problem. if i disable seo-g all the links start working. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but any help would be much apeceated

thank you

Graeme

I feel like I'm almost hijacking your thread, Mrpolly, your problem is most urgent and I'm sorry I can't help you.

I'm here again to whine about the fact my Googlefeeder is dead in the water. Apparently, this contrib does not work with Googlefeeder.

So, I'm in the Admin side of my website and I go to SEO-G > Reports and I see the Google XML button which will generate a sitemap for me and the Notify Google box next to it. I check the box and hit the XML button and I get this:

Warning: fopen(/home/username/public_html/google_sitemap.xml.gz) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/username/public_html/admin/seo_reports.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/username/public_html/admin/seo_reports.php:114) in /home/username/public_html/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 224

So, I try it again...this time I don't tick the box to Notify Google. And it creates a sitemap file...XML file...that I download and save on my PC.

My questions are: What's going on with the error messages and what exactly am I supposed to do with this XML file that was created?

While I'm at it....does it really matter if one doesn't send product feeds to Googlebase? Isn't it enough to have them crawling my website day and night?

Ok I upload all my back up files back to the webserver to get it back to what it was before i added SEO-G . THen i uploaded all the files from the catalog from the SEO-G zip file besides the .htaccess to my webserver, I didn't do any of the File Modification that was stated in the read me file besides the .htaccess mod. Set the master switch to True and its working, Not sure why but it is. The only part that is not that i can find so far is the goolge xml button not the biggest issue but would be nice to have this working too. If any one knows why this could be please let me know thank you all

Graeme :)

Hi

Does anyone have a fix for "Danish Charaters" (Æ Ø Å) to this contrib?

Now SEO-G just replaces "Æ, Ø and Å" with "-"

This contrib rocks btw!

What has happened to the author of this contrib? He's made no posts in forever.

Has he been banned from the board or something? I need to fix my googlefeeder.php file to work with SEO-G.

Until that happens, Googlefeeder is dead in the water.

I have a question about 301 redirects.

When I view my Reports folder, which shows all of the URLs that are currently in use on my site, there are tons of instances where the same product has more than one URL. For example, the first URL for Product A may look like this:

www.mysite.com/name-of-product-a-cpath-25_47.html

And the next one is the one I want to be in use and indexed:

www.mysite.com/name-of-product-a.html

Is it hurtful to select that first URL...the one with the cpath extensions...and move it to the Redirects folder and change the target URL to the one I want picked up by the search engines? Will spiders have a problem with this? Do 301 redirects like this have a negative impact regarding site indexing?

Another big reason I'd like to do this is because this contrib also includes a Google Sitemap generator. But, from the looks of it, it's pulling all of its info from the Reports folder which means...multiple URLs are being inserted into the sitemap for each product. I expect Google is not thrilled with seeing multiple links pointing to the same page.

I thought, if I 'moved' all of those old URLs to the Redirects folder...changed their target URL to what it's supposed to be...then I could generate an accurate sitemap with no additional URLs pointing to the same product. The only URLs that would remain in the Reports folder are the new URLs that I would like indexed...thusly, my Google Sitemap would reflect only the one unique URL for each product. Am I making sense?

But, would I be creating any problems with search engines by doing this? Are 301 redirects a good thing or a bad thing?