• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SEO-G

no the id doesn't matter. The license is the standard GPL v2.0 and should be included with every contribution stating how the files can be distributed/used.

Mark,

Thanks for your prompt reply and guidance

No more duplications.

Best regards

Ahmed

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would cause a 500 error on install with this? I've copied the files to a clean most-recent OsCommerce 2.2 and added the relevant section to .htaccess All was fine until I attempted to access the SEO-G section in admin and now I get error 500 messages on both admin and catalog sides. Ideas?

What would cause a 500 error on install with this? I've copied the files to a clean most-recent OsCommerce 2.2 and added the relevant section to .htaccess All was fine until I attempted to access the SEO-G section in admin and now I get error 500 messages on both admin and catalog sides. Ideas?

Verify that you added the changes to htaccess correctly. This is most likely where the 500 error is coming from.

Is this a site in your local pc? If so check the apache log, see what it says. If you don't configure the server properly you will see this kind of error, (if the rewrite doesn't work for instance because is not enabled)

Is this a site in your local pc? If so check the apache log, see what it says. If you don't configure the server properly you will see this kind of error, (if the rewrite doesn't work for instance because is not enabled)

Yes it is, thanks, got that sorted :) Now I'll go butt my head against 'object not found' for a bit...

I had a problem with this, Something Unusual with the Installation, and A Title Issue, plus quite possibly the meta tags but i havent' checked yet.

1) The SEO-G Configuration Part Created Two of Each Parts... Example,

Seo-G Master Switch

Seo-G Master Switch

Seo-G Extension

Seo-G Extension

... and So on.

This isn't really a problem, because it still works.

2nd) With this Seo-G Master Switch On the Title of the Page Adds something "NAVBAR_TITLE:" MYSitetitle . I am very picky with the creation of my Titles and Meta tags, as I know that this is extreamly important to Search Engines in the Indexing of a Specific Page. Therefore I Turned the Master Switch Back to False Until I can Figure this out.

I have previously installed a META tag Generator. Mysql 4.1 with updates. I use Godaddy Hosting, I do not use SSL, my URL is http://vinylrecords.weathat.com I'm using 2.2MS2 update ending in 617. and I also use ImageCashe Generation. and have installed Multiple Products manager. (which Installing this Removed This Update - Partially- Although its not really needed. - and now the Link in Admin->Catalog Says BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_MULTI .. IN ALL CAPITOL LETTERS and the Link No longer works. -- Which I understand because it replaces one of the same files.)

No other Modifications. **SEO-G is currently FALSE**

Any Help to Fix the Title and Meta Tags would be Helpful.

Michael

SEO-G is a great contribution. I had trouble installing it at first because it conflicted with a previous contribution that I had installed. But on a clean installation of OSCommerce, it installed perfectly. I would like to recommend to the author, that in future versions it would be helpful to clearly state the step be step instructions. I was still able to install it and it's working perfectly.

One question for the author:

Is there a way to set-up my store so that the Title for each page show either the Category and/or Product Name?

Right now, my store name shows up on the Title of every page. I think that my pages would rate higher on Google if the Title of each page was also showing Category and/or Product Name...

Thanks again for the excellant contribution!!!

Edited by waverider75

I had a problem with this, Something Unusual with the Installation, and A Title Issue, plus quite possibly the meta tags but i havent' checked yet.

1) The SEO-G Configuration Part Created Two of Each Parts... Example,

Seo-G Master Switch

Seo-G Master Switch

Seo-G Extension

Seo-G Extension

... and So on.

This isn't really a problem, because it still works.

See post #398 in this thread (last time mentioned).

2nd) With this Seo-G Master Switch On the Title of the Page Adds something "NAVBAR_TITLE:" MYSitetitle . I am very picky with the creation of my Titles and Meta tags, as I know that this is extreamly important to Search Engines in the Indexing of a Specific Page. Therefore I Turned the Master Switch Back to False Until I can Figure this out.

I have previously installed a META tag Generator. Mysql 4.1 with updates. I use Godaddy Hosting, I do not use SSL, my URL is http://vinylrecords.weathat.com I'm using 2.2MS2 update ending in 617. and I also use ImageCashe Generation. and have installed Multiple Products manager. (which Installing this Removed This Update - Partially- Although its not really needed. - and now the Link in Admin->Catalog Says BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_MULTI .. IN ALL CAPITOL LETTERS and the Link No longer works. -- Which I understand because it replaces one of the same files.)

No other Modifications. **SEO-G is currently FALSE**

Any Help to Fix the Title and Meta Tags would be Helpful.

Michael

what SEO-G has to do with meta-tags? And I cannot even see it if it's not on.

One question for the author:

Is there a way to set-up my store so that the Title for each page show either the Category and/or Product Name?

Right now, my store name shows up on the Title of every page. I think that my pages would rate higher on Google if the Title of each page was also showing Category and/or Product Name...

Thanks again for the excellant contribution!!!

I am not sure I understand this at all. Why do you expect SEO-G to handle meta-tags and titles? It's not it's purpose. Is there some reference in the documentation about it?

Hi

I have installed SEO-G 1.16 and all looks like its working as it should but the left colunm is on holding its width.

With seo-g turned off the width is as it should be.

I have the following install.

Graphical_Borders_v2.1

Column Controller w Admin v2.2_for_2.2ms2_fixed

product_listing_columns_2_2a

product_listing_columns_with_iIndividual_boxes_1.2

http://www.airsoftsupplydrop.co.uk/catalog/index.html

Any one have any ideas on what the problem could be.

Thanks

Rob

Hi

I have installed SEO-G 1.16 and all looks like its working as it should but the left colunm is on holding its width.

With seo-g turned off the width is as it should be.

See post #365 in this thread

Make sure you follow the instructions for application_top.php and root.php changes. Do not simply copy the root.php. You need to modify it.

Edited by enigma1

I am not sure I understand this at all. Why do you expect SEO-G to handle meta-tags and titles? It's not it's purpose. Is there some reference in the documentation about it?

Hi! Let me clarify my question.

I have SEO-G installed and working properly. It's a great module. But I wish that SEO-G would also populate the Title for each page with product or category. I know that one good way to enhance a web page's visibility on Google, and to appear with higher ranking on a Google search, is to have specific information on the Title for a page.

My question was not a support questin for SEO-G, because I have it installed and working perfectly. I just wish that the author had written it so that the product information appears in the Title as well.

Is there a way to alter the Title to reflect the product or category?

Thanks!

Hi! Let me clarify my question.

I have SEO-G installed and working properly. It's a great module. But I wish that SEO-G would also populate the Title for each page with product or category. I know that one good way to enhance a web page's visibility on Google, and to appear with higher ranking on a Google search, is to have specific information on the Title for a page.

My question was not a support questin for SEO-G, because I have it installed and working perfectly. I just wish that the author had written it so that the product information appears in the Title as well.

Is there a way to alter the Title to reflect the product or category?

Thanks!

You need different modules for that search the contributions for meta tags. I also commented on someone else who had the same question in post #394 in this thread.

Quick question:

Is there any way to make this work with a 301 redirect? When I add the 301 redirect code (from geekfitters.com to www.geekfitters.com), and then add something to my cart, I get this error:

SEO-G Error: Invalid Self-Request, passed URI Request: /root.php

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Chris

Quick question:

Is there any way to make this work with a 301 redirect? When I add the 301 redirect code (from geekfitters.com to www.geekfitters.com), and then add something to my cart, I get this error:

SEO-G Error: Invalid Self-Request, passed URI Request: /root.php

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Chris

Your rewrite rule has to be conditional in .htaccess for this case. And place it before the SEO-G code in that file. So for example:

# This only remaps requests with no prefix at all that match the server
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} =geekfitters.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^ http://www.geekfitters.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R,L]

But depends with the server you're on so I don't know if I can help much there. So if it doesn't work check if your host has some examples how to do that or check a forum that discusses server issues like webmasterworld.com (Apache Web Server). Has all kinds of similar questions about it.

Is there a solution for translating the product_info.php popup image url?

yes, there is, I was playing around at some point with the pID parameter. You need to do 2 changes.

1. In your catalog\includes\classes\seo_url.php locate this code

case 'products_id':
		if( isset($flags_array['products_id']) || !tep_not_null($inner[1]) ) break;

right above it add:

case 'pID':

2. In your osC Admin->SEO-G->G-Types you need to extend the secondary handlers for the products so they should read

product_reviews.php, product_reviews_write.php, product_reviews_info.php, popup_image.php

I don't think I am going to include this with the next version though. At least not until the Reports page includes some sort of filtering for the google sitemap generation.

Edited by enigma1

yes, there is, I was playing around at some point with the pID parameter. You need to do 2 changes.

1. In your catalog\includes\classes\seo_url.php locate this code

case 'products_id':
		if( isset($flags_array['products_id']) || !tep_not_null($inner[1]) ) break;

right above it add:

case 'pID':

2. In your osC Admin->SEO-G->G-Types you need to extend the secondary handlers for the products so they should read

I don't think I am going to include this with the next version though. At least not until the Reports page includes some sort of filtering for the google sitemap generation.

Works like a charm. Thanks

Hi again, I'm back with another issue with SEO-G

I have the basic store running with a few contributions, but I have just noticed this now. When I am on a product, for the discovery of the bug I used 'The Matrix' DVD from the default data, and I press F5 to refresh (in FF) I get magically transported to the reviews page for that product. If I refresh the page again, I get taken to the write review page.

I have tried SEO-G with Safe Mode on and off, but the problem is still apparent.

The only way I can stop it is by turning SEO-G off. Have you heard of this before? If required, I can provide you with more details.

It only seems to occur when the product is traversed to using the menu (i.e. http://www.mydomain.co.uk/oscomm/dvd-movie...he-matrix.html). If I go to the product via a box (such as Offers) I can refresh to my heart's content.

Hi again, I'm back with another issue with SEO-G

I have the basic store running with a few contributions, but I have just noticed this now. When I am on a product, for the discovery of the bug I used 'The Matrix' DVD from the default data, and I press F5 to refresh (in FF) I get magically transported to the reviews page for that product. If I refresh the page again, I get taken to the write review page.

I have tried SEO-G with Safe Mode on and off, but the problem is still apparent.

The only way I can stop it is by turning SEO-G off. Have you heard of this before? If required, I can provide you with more details.

It only seems to occur when the product is traversed to using the menu (i.e. http://www.mydomain.co.uk/oscomm/dvd-movie...he-matrix.html). If I go to the product via a box (such as Offers) I can refresh to my heart's content.

I cannot replicate it here, you should check the install instructions make sure you have .htaccess, configure.php, application_top and root.php files moded as documented. If you still have a problem you need to post a link to the product where you see the problem.

Hi

Contribution is working beautifully.

I went to do a small change in G-Types today , in admin , just wanted to change the sort order and linkage settings and I got the following error message when clicked on 'update fields'

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/admin/seo_types.php on line 42

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /srv/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/admin/seo_types.php:42) in /srv/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 22

can anyone help with this one, I have been puzzling over it for hours.

thanks very much

I went to do a small change in G-Types today , in admin , just wanted to change the sort order and linkage settings and I got the following error message when clicked on 'update fields'

You need to tick checkboxes of the entries you need to update. If I get a chance I will add some extra checking in the code for this.

Just so that I'm clear, where is the .htaccess supposed to go in relation to the links from the previous post?

There is already a .htaccess file in the root of the site, will this be a problem? Currently my .htaccess is in the root of the catalog (so http://www.mydomain.co.uk/oscomm/)

is that local? if not post a direct link to the product to see the problem.

You need to tick checkboxes of the entries you need to update. If I get a chance I will add some extra checking in the code for this.

Would you also consider adding a select all in the controller section? It might be convenient in cases where there are hundreds of products or categories and rather than having to check each product or category to insert, just select all.