• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SEO-G

Ok I see. So why your .htaccess is setup like this?

Should be

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
# Next line must be changed to match your osCommerce folder - the relative path 
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*).html$ root.php?$1.html&%{QUERY_STRING}

Because with your htaccess, you have this line that messes everything

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1 [L]

why is that? The documentation shows alternative rules to apply for your admin and catalog folders. Make sure you set up the correct .htaccess for each case.

thanks for your help, but I have just tried altering the htaccess file as you suggested and I still get the same problems

Also i can't find any reference to the htaccess rules to apply for the admin folder in the documentation - where are these?

thanks again for all of your help

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for your help, but I have just tried altering the htaccess file as you suggested and I still get the same problems

did you check the configure.php file? Is the path setup in the .htaccess as in your configure.php? I cannot help much if I cannot see your store's pages. The 404 implies no remapping really. Like the rules in .htaccess don't do anything or the file isn't there.

Also i can't find any reference to the htaccess rules to apply for the admin folder in the documentation - where are these?

Its in the documentation under the "Known Issues" section. But that's secondary.

did you check the configure.php file? Is the path setup in the .htaccess as in your configure.php? I cannot help much if I cannot see your store's pages. The 404 implies no remapping really. Like the rules in .htaccess don't do anything or the file isn't there.

Its in the documentation under the "Known Issues" section. But that's secondary.

I have opened up a port to let you see the server

http://81.86.233.110/sportetc/

the configure.php is the same as the htaccess with / (i.e. the root as the catalog)

Thanks for your continued help

the configure.php is the same as the htaccess with / (i.e. the root as the catalog)

Thanks for your continued help

when I tried to access it I get the fist page but then I see a different ip when I click any of the links. So I see the lan ones 192.168.0.10. So clear the reports.

Also set the path (rewritebase) in htaccess

/sportetc/

and post your configure.php minus the databse sensitive info. Although the configure_example.php should been helpful in this case how to set this up.

when I tried to access it I get the fist page but then I see a different ip when I click any of the links. So I see the lan ones 192.168.0.10. So clear the reports.

Also set the path (rewritebase) in htaccess

/sportetc/

and post your configure.php minus the databse sensitive info. Although the configure_example.php should been helpful in this case how to set this up.

ok i have changed the ip address to be the external ip and I have changed the htaccess as you suggested and it is still the same

here is the configure.php up to the database section:

<?php
/*
 osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 [url="http://www.oscommerce.com"]http://www.oscommerce.com[/url]

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

// Define the webserver and path parameters
// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)
// * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)
 define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://81.86.233.110/sportetc'); // eg, [url="http://localhost"]http://localhost[/url] - should not be empty for productive servers
 define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://81.86.233.110/sportetc'); // eg, [url="https://localhost"]https://localhost[/url] - should not be empty for productive servers
 define('ENABLE_SSL', true); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '81.86.233.110');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '81.86.233.110');
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');
 define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
 define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
 define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
 define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
 define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
 define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
 define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
 define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');
 define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/srv/www/htdocs/sportetc/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

Thanks agaain for your help

ok i have changed the ip address to be the external ip and I have changed the htaccess as you suggested and it is still the same

here is the configure.php up to the database section:

Thanks agaain for your help

I have just resolved the issue - it was a spurious httpd.conf include file which had a 'Allowoverride' set to none on the web root directory - I changed this to all and all is working fine.

thanks very much for all of your help and time

I have just resolved the issue - it was a spurious httpd.conf include file which had a 'Allowoverride' set to none on the web root directory - I changed this to all and all is working fine.

thanks very much for all of your help and time

Allright thanks, I will include this with the documentation of the next version. For those who opearating with their own servers.

Quick question, is this compatible with Super Download Shop? Like the sound of this over Ultimate SEO.

SEO-G has various configuration options that should allow it to work with heavily customized stores. If it's properly configured I don't see an issue with that contribution.

From the posts/questions I see so far, seems that most issues have to do with server configuration. However my concern is more with the generated links and the synchronization between the names/links and the actual entries on the catalog. When you enter new products/categories/manufacturers etc, or when you delete them, the SEO-G Controller must be used to synchronize the store. This is not as automated as I would like it to be, but at least with the validator since version 1.14 there is a way to identify mistakes and fix them

Edited by enigma1

SEO-G has various configuration options that should allow it to work with heavily customized stores. If it's properly configured I don't see an issue with that contribution.

From the posts/questions I see so far, seems that most issues have to do with server configuration. However my concern is more with the generated links and the synchronization between the names/links and the actual entries on the catalog. When you enter new products/categories/manufacturers etc, or when you delete them, the SEO-G Controller must be used to synchronize the store. This is not as automated as I would like it to be, but at least with the validator since version 1.14 there is a way to identify mistakes and fix them

Thanks for the info!

That application_top.php is ok I tested it here, so something else is going on, I will have to debug it on your end.

After installing V1.14 I still had the redirect issue with checkout_success so I tested additional site navigation to see if any other incorrect redirects happen and I ran across another one that might help pinpoint the problem. Clicking on the "Checkout" link also goes to the "SEO-G Redirect" option when logged in and the cart is empty. All other link redirects work correctly for "Checkout." When the master switch is set to false you are redirected correctly to shopping_cart.php.

checkout_shipping.php code that gets redirected when SEO-G master set to "True".

if ($cart->count_contents() < 1) {
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

a very beginner's quesiton:

w/ a multi-language os commerce website, can googlebot use language_id session to determin different language pages? if not, how can googlebot tell different language pages w/ the same url?

thanks alot for help.

After installing V1.14 I still had the redirect issue with checkout_success so I tested additional site navigation to see if any other incorrect redirects happen and I ran across another one that might help pinpoint the problem. Clicking on the "Checkout" link also goes to the "SEO-G Redirect" option when logged in and the cart is empty. All other link redirects work correctly for "Checkout." When the master switch is set to false you are redirected correctly to shopping_cart.php.

checkout_shipping.php code that gets redirected when SEO-G master set to "True".

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

Do you have some other code specific to the checkout procedure that perhaps initiates a redirect? The strange thing is I tried it locally ok I cannot replicate it. I even setup completely different domains locally and nothing out of the ordinary here. Then I created an account on your store to see the problem. Even when I pass checkout_shipping.php with the secure url, I get the cookie usage page. If I pass checkout_shipping.php without the secure url (simply doing http://) then it works.

Can you test something. This code you posted change it to:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, '', 'NONSSL'));
}

Does it work? If it does it means it happens with transitions of secure pages to non-secure pages. But those pages are recorded as non-secure. So in other words, when you go to the checkout_shipping.php the code there redirects to the shopping cart page in secure mode?. But then there should be 2 links in the reports page for checkout_shipping and shopping cart which I do not understand because these will generate different signatures so SEO-G will recognize them. I know it happens on the tep_redirect in your case for some reason. If you go with a straight link between SSL/NONSSL it works.

Also check the tep_href_link function in catalog\includes\functions\html_output.php Do you have any other mods especially for the request type identification

if ($connection == 'NONSSL') {
  $link = HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG;
} elseif ($connection == 'SSL') {
  if (ENABLE_SSL == true) {
	$link = HTTPS_SERVER . DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG;
  } else {
  }

And also check the SEO-G reports page to see if you have 2 different entries for the shopping_cart.html One for the secure and another for non-secure. There should be 2 listed.

Edited by enigma1

a very beginner's quesiton:

w/ a multi-language os commerce website, can googlebot use language_id session to determin different language pages? if not, how can googlebot tell different language pages w/ the same url?

thanks alot for help.

language_id? no, a bot can emulate what a browser does pretty much, so the language header can be set to indicate several languages and a given priority. Then osc checks a server parameter and sets the language automatically if supported.

Currently there is no multilingual support with SEO-G.

language_id? no, a bot can emulate what a browser does pretty much, so the language header can be set to indicate several languages and a given priority. Then osc checks a server parameter and sets the language automatically if supported.

Currently there is no multilingual support with SEO-G.

hi enigma1,

thank you for your response. i set Force Cookie Use as true and SID unavailable on my multi-langauge website. will googlebot emulates browsers to uses cookie?

my question may not to directly relavent to seg-g, but i think people here have best knowlege about my question.

Do you have some other code specific to the checkout procedure that perhaps initiates a redirect? The strange thing is I tried it locally ok I cannot replicate it. I even setup completely different domains locally and nothing out of the ordinary here. Then I created an account on your store to see the problem. Even when I pass checkout_shipping.php with the secure url, I get the cookie usage page. If I pass checkout_shipping.php without the secure url (simply doing http://) then it works.
I insalled SEO-G on a different less modified website (same host) and got the same results and I compared the checkout pages in question against the stock pages to make sure there isn't something initiating a redirect.

I get the same results as you; If there is nothing in the cart I can't pass checkout_shipping.html either secure or unsecure. In the SEO-G reports the only listing is secure (https) from checkout_shipping.php to checkout_shipping.html

Can you test something. This code you posted change it to:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, '', 'NONSSL'));
}

Does it work? If it does it means it happens with transitions of secure pages to non-secure pages. But those pages are recorded as non-secure. So in other words, when you go to the checkout_shipping.php the code there redirects to the shopping cart page in secure mode?. But then there should be 2 links in the reports page for checkout_shipping and shopping cart which I do not understand because these will generate different signatures so SEO-G will recognize them. I know it happens on the tep_redirect in your case for some reason. If you go with a straight link between SSL/NONSSL it works.

This change made no difference.

Also check the tep_href_link function in catalog\includes\functions\html_output.php Do you have any other mods especially for the request type identification

if ($connection == 'NONSSL') {
} elseif ($connection == 'SSL') {
  if (ENABLE_SSL == true) {
	$link = HTTPS_SERVER . DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG;
  } else {
  }

No other mods.

And also check the SEO-G reports page to see if you have 2 different entries for the shopping_cart.html One for the secure and another for non-secure. There should be 2 listed.

I manually edited OSC URL - https://shopping_cart.php with SEO-G URL https://shopping_cart.html to remove secure url (removed "s" from https) on both and it now works. I then clicked on "View Cart" to get the https URLs back in the report.

I tried to do the same with the original issue, checkout_success back when the problem first showed up and it didn't work because I should have been changing the redirect file, index.html (php).

I added a secure OSC (index.php) with secure SEO-G (index.html) url for the index, which is the correct redirect file I should have done before and it worked also. I don't know if a secure index.html file will cause any problems but it works at least. From the new secured index.html, when I navigate to a non-secured page like "contact us" and then back to the index.html, it is no longer the secured link.

It is strange that I had to add a non-secured shopping_cart link and a secured index link to the SEO-G reports page. You would think it would be the same problem. If you need any more info to figure out what is causing this let me know.

this is on an internal network for now. - it is just a standard apache 404 page nothing really valuable in it, but I have pasted a screenshot

404.gif

I believe mod_rewrite is working ok - it is loading in apache fine

all of the seo-g parts in admin are working fine the reports show all of the urls that are generated

it is just if i go to one of those urls then i get a 404

thanks again for your help

404 PROBLEMS AND GENERAL .HTACCESS PROBLEM POSSIBLE SOLUTION

you may cry noob but I feel this may help others. I spent six hours dicking around with code till i realised the problem.

You have to edit the .htaccess so it points at the right directory on the site, so i did this and nothing worked, my index worked but everything else was 404'ing etc. I eventually tracked down the problem .... DO NOT USE DREAMWEAVER to edit the file when you save it up the encoding or something gets screwed, i tested the theory out on a site exactly same code on both applications screens (Dreamweaver and TextEdit), however the textedit version worked perfectly. It might just work for you if you are at the end of your tether.

If you have already messed the htaccess file in dreamweaver start again with the one provided in the download but dont let dreamweaver touch it.

My mac wouldnt register the file in the finder window so you have to open dreamweaver but then right click and "open with" (or the pc equiv) when you save in the the textedit program save as a .txt then upload then change the name to .htaccess. This frustrated the hell out of me as it wasnt a strictly tech problem so none of the solutions thus far worked for me, maybe that will help you to!!

=============================================================

(asides from that)

quick question, i have sts4 installed on this site im doing and you say as long as it goes through the tep_link thingy it is fine, well yes i can see you point on the manufacturer drop down but in my site the cateogory list does generate the list using said "tep_link" thingy but the SEO urls are not generated. whats the crac there? i assume something to do with STS. the code in question is found in includes/boxes/cateogories.php line 28

$categories_string .= '<a href="';

if ($tree[$counter]['parent'] == 0) {

$cPath_new = 'cPath=' . $counter;

} else {

$cPath_new = 'cPath=' . $tree[$counter]['path'];

}

$categories_string .= tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) . '">';

if (isset($cPath_array) && in_array($counter, $cPath_array)) {

$categories_string .= '<b>';

}

// display category name

$categories_string .= $tree[$counter]['name'];

if (isset($cPath_array) && in_array($counter, $cPath_array)) {

$categories_string .= '</b>';

}

if (tep_has_category_subcategories($counter)) {

$categories_string .= '';

}

$categories_string .= '</a>';

great work mark by the way, tip top! and bloody good support response as well!

Regards Si

www.seismik.co.uk

I believe that I have everything in right and have been able to validate the manufacturers, and categories, but when I get about 2/3 of the way into my products (over 9000 in all) I start getting internal server errors or barring that just a blank screen. I have tried validating all at once, a few hundred items at a time and even using sql to fill the seo-to-products table. I am assuming that the php is taking too long to process, but I am new to php and am not sure. Is there a way to check it out, speed it up whatever? the seo-url table is blank too. What am I missing, how can I fix?

Thanx

I believe that I have everything in right and have been able to validate the manufacturers, and categories, but when I get about 2/3 of the way into my products (over 9000 in all) I start getting internal server errors or barring that just a blank screen. I have tried validating all at once, a few hundred items at a time and even using sql to fill the seo-to-products table. I am assuming that the php is taking too long to process, but I am new to php and am not sure. Is there a way to check it out, speed it up whatever? the seo-url table is blank too. What am I missing, how can I fix?

Thanx

The validator should be used to fix errors, not to fill-in the seo-g tables. Select "Products" then click "Details" then click "categories" and add the categories from there. Once you add everything click the validator to see if there are errors. Because the validator uses arrays to store the product info and the issue could be there.

However I will place a limit to the number of entries the validator will store to get around this.

Either way I would like to know if this works in your case (ie by simply adding products first and using the validator last) or you still seeing the time-out.

quick question, i have sts4 installed on this site im doing and you say as long as it goes through the tep_link thingy it is fine, well yes i can see you point on the manufacturer drop down but in my site the cateogory list does generate the list using said "tep_link" thingy but the SEO urls are not generated. whats the crac there? i assume something to do with STS. the code in question is found in includes/boxes/cateogories.php line 28

Nothing special there. The links should be generated. Check the reports page if the categories links show. If not, check the G-Controller if all categories are included. If you still see the same issue, post a link to one of the categories to the site to see the problem.

I manually edited OSC URL - https://shopping_cart.php with SEO-G URL https://shopping_cart.html to remove secure url (removed "s" from https) on both and it now works. I then clicked on "View Cart" to get the https URLs back in the report.

I tried to do the same with the original issue, checkout_success back when the problem first showed up and it didn't work because I should have been changing the redirect file, index.html (php).

I added a secure OSC (index.php) with secure SEO-G (index.html) url for the index, which is the correct redirect file I should have done before and it worked also. I don't know if a secure index.html file will cause any problems but it works at least. From the new secured index.html, when I navigate to a non-secured page like "contact us" and then back to the index.html, it is no longer the secured link.

It is strange that I had to add a non-secured shopping_cart link and a secured index link to the SEO-G reports page. You would think it would be the same problem. If you need any more info to figure out what is causing this let me know.

There could be an issue with the tep_redirect function.

////
// Redirect to another page or site
 function tep_redirect($url) {
if ( (strstr($url, "\n") != false) || (strstr($url, "\r") != false) ) { 
  tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL', false));
}

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
  if (substr($url, 0, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)) == HTTP_SERVER) { // NONSSL url
	$url = HTTPS_SERVER . substr($url, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)); // Change it to SSL
  }
}

header('Location: ' . $url);

tep_exit();
 }

This looks like the original issue about detecting the secure page properly. So this is another spot. As a test, can you change the function to:

////
global $request_type;
}

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && ( $request_type == 'SSL') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
  }
}

tep_exit();
 }

It's in the catalog\includes\functions\general.php. See if that makes a difference. If so, I will update the documentation with the next version. Identification of the secure/non-secure pages is important and that part can also be server specific.

Edited by enigma1

I am sure this is a simple 'user error' issue but I cannot fathom it out.

I have deleted a load of categories that I was using for testing. Then added some new categories.

When I go to the 'SEO-G Zones » Categories' under g-controller , none of the new category names are listed for me to change under the 'name' column.

Screen shot:

shot.gif

Consequently all of my urls for the new categories are of the format:

www.somedomain.com/index_cpath-24.htm

I have have deleted all of the old urls under g-reports

Any help / guidance would be appreciated

Many thanks

Edited by golles

I am sure this is a simple 'user error' issue but I cannot fathom it out.

I have deleted a load of categories that I was using for testing. Then added some new categories.

When I go to the 'SEO-G Zones » Categories' under g-controller , none of the new category names are listed for me to change under the 'name' column.

Consequently all of my urls for the new categories are of the format:

www.somedomain.com/index_cpath-24.htm

I have have deleted all of the old urls under g-reports

Any help / guidance would be appreciated

Many thanks

When you add/delete categories, products, manufacturers you need to synchronize the seo-g tables. Delete the entries show as N/A and use the categories button below in that page to add the products of all categories in. Its all in the readme.htm under the SEO-G configuration. Make sure you read that before doing anything with the module.

There could be an issue with the tep_redirect function.

////
}

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
  }
}

tep_exit();
 }

This looks like the original issue about detecting the secure page properly. So this is another spot. As a test, can you change the function to:

////
global $request_type;
}

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && ( $request_type == 'SSL') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
  }
}

tep_exit();
 }

It's in the catalog\includes\functions\general.php. See if that makes a difference. If so, I will update the documentation with the next version. Identification of the secure/non-secure pages is important and that part can also be server specific.

I changed the code in general.php and I deleted the manually created URLs for shopping_cart and index in SEO-G reports to test. The "checkout" button worked correctly and redirected to "shopping_cart" URL but the checkout_success (index.html redirect) did not so I was redirected to cookie_usge again.

Nothing special there. The links should be generated. Check the reports page if the categories links show. If not, check the G-Controller if all categories are included. If you still see the same issue, post a link to one of the categories to the site to see the problem.

Ok so i checked in the report page and for example...

http://www.freakfish.co.uk/shop/admin/test...x.php?cPath=144

is in the reports but the site doesnt change in to a SEO URL in the cateogory list.

Look at

http://www.freakfish.co.uk/shop/admin/test...talog/index.php

I will pm the details you need. Its weird because when the nested cateogories appear in the center of the site from time to time they are fine, they use the tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) and do it fine (i can see this from hovering over links in firefox). Ie the cateogories on this page in the middle are fine....

http://www.freakfish.co.uk/shop/admin/test...x.php?cPath=142

When they are in the centre the category code is being pulled from index.php as apposed to includes/boxes/categories.php when the menu on the left is created.

Many Thanks in advance.

(check your PM)

Si