• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] SEO-G

Hello looks like a great contribution. Here is my question. There lots of contributions out there like google sitemaps for example that are compatible with Ultimate seos. There many others out there that are compatible. I am interested in having all of my php pages rewritten into html which Ultimate or cre seo's do not do. I am afraid that I will break something if I install this... Do you know of any contributions that might not be compatible with this? I use Google, Yahoo, and shopzilla product feeds as well.

Might be a good idea to list the features of this contribution vs Utlimate seo's so people know whether it is worht the switchover.

The xml maps is a valid point. I am planning to create the scripts to support at least a basic xml map. At this point I am still testing and validating various features of this module. If the initial design is not proper, everything will fall apart as other plugins rely in the seo database tables and associated structure.

I will need some feedback to see how to go on with this module. Not in terms of bug-fixes this is of course essential. But with the design aspect.

Right now the module will generate friendly urls for the entire store including every combination of parameters. Although this may look great at the beginning it includes a huge number of seo links spiders will never see. So should I integrate some extra configuration to control this behavior?

The exclusion list added with v1.02, can filter out scripts that spiders will never see like the customer various pages. Is it better to use an inclusion list instead?

I will make another release in the next couple of days where the parameters filtering is better. From the tests I did so far if you pass an invalid extension through the tep_href_link function it goes through the seo class. A filter will be included with next release to rectify this.

At this point the module's operation generating URLs is progressive. So after installation not all links from a site are generated immediately. Once you land at a page all the links in that page will be generated (if they do not exist). With xml maps I will have to write from scratch or convert one of the existing scripts to generate the important urls for the search engine. What will be the best way for it? Having a linkage between the tables so the manufacturer, category and product (or a combination of those) is added to the xml? Or a simpler method will be better.

As the search engines crawl the store now they see lots of redirections to the cookie page because simply they cannot add items to the cart or access personalized content. All these will be redirected to the cookies page. That's a default behavior with osCommerce. Now with SEO-G these links are converted showing html pages. I am still investigating this and the impact (if any) that it will have for rankings.

Also as the documentation states, with seasoned stores, it is not wise to move from one SEO module to another (or even switch the stock osc URLs). The rankings will be altered because search engines see new links. So keep that in mind.

I'll get back to the various links combinations issue as they generated and show few examples.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have verified my admin/htaccess was not modified. any other suggestions to check?

Thanks for the help

ok can you give me an example so I can replicate it here?

Configuration redirect page is index.asp

what's the .htaccess rules you have in the catalog? What's the admin location. Just give examples so I can understand the structure not the actual urls.

www.mysite.com/catalog/

www.mysite.com/admin/

or

www.mysite.com/catalog/

www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/

etc.

ok can you give me an example so I can replicate it here?

Configuration redirect page is index.asp

what's the .htaccess rules you have in the catalog? What's the admin location. Just give examples so I can understand the structure not the actual urls.

www.mysite.com/catalog/

www.mysite.com/admin/

or

www.mysite.com/catalog/

www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/

etc.

www.mysite.com/

www.mysite.com/admin/

www.mysite.com/htaccess

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to

# the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

#

# AllowOverride Options

#

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the

# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet

# Explorer browsers

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the

# following Apache configuration parameter

#

# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values

# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain

# servers)

#

#

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

# php_value register_globals 1

#

#-MS- SEO-G Added

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*).html$ root.php?%{QUERY_STRING}

#-MS- SEO-G Added EOM

www.mysite.com/admin/htaccess

AuthType Basic

AuthName "Restricted Area"

AuthUserFile "/home/publicwh/.htpasswds/admin/passwd"

require valid-user

let me know if you need more info...Appreciate your time greatly.

I was able to regain admin access by removing the

#-MS- SEO-G Added

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

#-MS- SEO-G Added EOM

from my catalog .htaccess file

I am guessing the code above that I am using is not correct?

Hi, i use the seo-G but have a little problem, why i not on php i auto replace selected character with this:

this

áäčďéěíľňóôřŕšťúůýžÁÄČĎÉĚÍĽŇÓÔŘŔŠŤÚŮÝŽ

to this

aacdeeilnoorrstuuyzAACDEEILNOORRSTUUYZ

yes you can generate that too if you leave the prefix field empty for the products. There is some explanation with the documentation.

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure, I can just copy and paste all these files over my current OSC files, assuming that my OSC is fresh and unmodified?

SEO-G provides automatic generation of URLs with your osCommerce store. Using multiple configuration options to generate a clear hierarchical structure of your store's entities, this module can significantly boost your marketing and SEO campaign.

Using osCommerce the no.1 e-commerce engine available today, as the base framework, SEO-G can utilize the database tables and generate the most comprehensive and spider-friendly URLs. Links can be generated at the same level as your store using configurable separation characters or emulate a multi-level directory structure.

SEO-G represents a set of classes around a special framework that can process the database tables, generate meaningful names which can be further customized and finally create spider-friendly URLs.

The module provides a set of configurable scripts on the osC Admin end, where the store owner can configure types, handlers, set names for various entities (eg: products,categories,articles,topics) as well as monitor the generated urls. In addition the framework is designed to easily support custom classes.

On the catalog end, the operation of SEO-G is fairly simple, yet extremely effective. It relies on a redirect method via .htaccess where a single script handles every URL conversion/request. Once an SEO-G URL is detected the system translates it to the original osCommerce URL. When installed this contribution generates spider-friendly links for all the store's pages. SEO-G links are generated progressively and no database identifiers are necessary within the links.

Contribution Link will be posted shortly as it has to be manually approved

Another dumb question: in the install, you mention configure files (plural). But I only found one configure file that resembled your configure example. Is this right?

A few more simple brief questions:

-When I installed the snippets of code into some of the files, there was an extra blank line at the end of each snippet. I deleted that blank line. Will that affect anything?

-I have the default SEO-G installed. My index.php page isn't showing up when I type in my webaddress: www.geekfitters.com

-I really don't want or need categories. Will Seo-G still work?

- Can I support your project through a couple t-shirts? My company is in debt, and I'm pretty much broke too.

Thanks you in advance!

Best,

Chris

I have install SEO-G 1.02 and the addresses are working fine.

But the boxes on the left column are being resizes and the main page is being resized.

And one had this problem or got any ideas.

Plus I have uninstalled the mod and my site is live.

Would be good to get this working.

Thanks

Rob

-When I installed the snippets of code into some of the files, there was an extra blank line at the end of each snippet. I deleted that blank line. Will that affect anything?

-I have the default SEO-G installed. My index.php page isn't showing up when I type in my webaddress: www.geekfitters.com

- Can I support your project through a couple t-shirts? My company is in debt, and I'm pretty much broke too.

Thanks you in advance!

Best,

Chris

It looks like you haven’t change catalog\.htaccess

#-MS- SEO-G Added

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /unnamed5/

#-MS- SEO-G Added EOM

Change unnamed5 to your installed folder.

Should be like this

RewriteBase /catalog/

I was able to regain admin access by removing the

#-MS- SEO-G Added

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

#-MS- SEO-G Added EOM

from my catalog .htaccess file

I am guessing the code above that I am using is not correct?

No the code there is good. But there was a bug in the root.php of the SEO-G module. This should be fixed with v1.03. Let me know if this works for you.

I released v1.03 with the following changes:

- Added filter to process .php files only

- Improved create_safe_string to eliminate triple separators.

- Fix for loading non-php scripts

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure, I can just copy and paste all these files over my current OSC files, assuming that my OSC is fresh and unmodified?

You can do that but still the files included are from a vanilla osc with the register globals script module. I would recommend going through the manual instructions

Edited by enigma1

Hi, i use the seo-G but have a little problem, why i not on php i auto replace selected character with this:

this

áäčďéěíľňóôřŕšťúůýžÁÄČĎÉĚÍĽŇÓÔŘŔŠŤÚŮÝŽ

to this

aacdeeilnoorrstuuyzAACDEEILNOORRSTUUYZ

At the moment, the module only supports A-Z and 0-9 characters for links generation (plus the separators)

I have install SEO-G 1.02 and the addresses are working fine.

But the boxes on the left column are being resizes and the main page is being resized.

And one had this problem or got any ideas.

Plus I have uninstalled the mod and my site is live.

Would be good to get this working.

Thanks

Rob

Can you try it with v1.03. If you still see the same problem post a link to one of the broken pages and I'll try to replicate the problem.

Another dumb question: in the install, you mention configure files (plural). But I only found one configure file that resembled your configure example. Is this right?

the configuration file is used as an example to help setup the .htaccess on the catalog end. And that's a typo (the plural). I changed the document so it should be ok with the new version (v1.04+).

Chris

I see you haven't installed that properly. You used the included .htaccess directly? That meant to be an example to setup your own htaccess. Set it up properly then goto your osc Admi->SEO-G->G-Reports at the bottom hit the delete button so the SEO-G tables will be cleared.

And you should try it with v1.03. Follow the manual instructions.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me. I installed the module but i get this error in the admin page.

SEO-G Zones

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-60, 60' at line 1

select at.seo_types_id, at.seo_types_name, at.seo_types_class, at.seo_types_prefix, at.seo_types_handler from seo_types at order by at.sort_order limit -60, 60

[TEP STOP]

The same error is for SEO-G Reports. What did i do wrong? I hope someone could help me out.

Best regards,

Emiel

installed 1.03 and same problem

index is normal but every other page is not.

http://www.airsoftsupplydrop.co.uk/store/s...-set-black.html

Thanks for the help

Rob

all I get is a 404 page. Make sure you install it and check the manual instructions about the application_top.php The section in the root.php has to match the section in your application_top.php (minus the SEO-G relative parts). as the documentation states:

Also note, you need to port any custom modifications you have in that particular section of the application_top.php (now enclosed with the SEO-G tags) into the catalog\root.php. The included root.php uses part of the stock osC application_top.php file.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me. I installed the module but i get this error in the admin page.

SEO-G Zones

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-60, 60' at line 1

select at.seo_types_id, at.seo_types_name, at.seo_types_class, at.seo_types_prefix, at.seo_types_handler from seo_types at order by at.sort_order limit -60, 60

[TEP STOP]

The same error is for SEO-G Reports. What did i do wrong? I hope someone could help me out.

Best regards,

Emiel

This error comes with the old osc code, the bug is documented here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/bugs,1605

Now the included catalog\admin\includes\classes\split_page_results.php includes that particular fix. If you use that file you should not see the problem. Now the other thing you should check are the fixes the latest osc version has.

http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads

Sorry but i have had to remove it again as the checkout does not work

even with the page exclude it cant be found.

For the shopping cart, I see, so you're using ajax buy now which modifies the generated link. This won't work because the url is translated by SEO-G inside the tep_href_link function and ajax buy now changes it again at the end and then it calls tep_href_link again. So the .html extension is already added to the link. And the ajax buy now parameters won't propagate. A link must be finalized before the SEO-G is called to translate it. And SEO-G must be called before the final session is appended for the link to be functional.

No the code there is good. But there was a bug in the root.php of the SEO-G module. This should be fixed with v1.03. Let me know if this works for you.

I released v1.03 with the following changes:

- Added filter to process .php files only

- Improved create_safe_string to eliminate triple separators.

- Fix for loading non-php scripts

Yes, the new version solved my problems. Thank you for your hard work.

This error comes with the old osc code, the bug is documented here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/bugs,1605

Now the included catalog\admin\includes\classes\split_page_results.php includes that particular fix. If you use that file you should not see the problem. Now the other thing you should check are the fixes the latest osc version has.

http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads

Thanks! It works perfectly now

The xml maps is a valid point. I am planning to create the scripts to support at least a basic xml map. At this point I am still testing and validating various features of this module. If the initial design is not proper, everything will fall apart as other plugins rely in the seo database tables and associated structure.

I will need some feedback to see how to go on with this module. Not in terms of bug-fixes this is of course essential. But with the design aspect.

Right now the module will generate friendly urls for the entire store including every combination of parameters. Although this may look great at the beginning it includes a huge number of seo links spiders will never see. So should I integrate some extra configuration to control this behavior?

The exclusion list added with v1.02, can filter out scripts that spiders will never see like the customer various pages. Is it better to use an inclusion list instead?

I will make another release in the next couple of days where the parameters filtering is better. From the tests I did so far if you pass an invalid extension through the tep_href_link function it goes through the seo class. A filter will be included with next release to rectify this.

At this point the module's operation generating URLs is progressive. So after installation not all links from a site are generated immediately. Once you land at a page all the links in that page will be generated (if they do not exist). With xml maps I will have to write from scratch or convert one of the existing scripts to generate the important urls for the search engine. What will be the best way for it? Having a linkage between the tables so the manufacturer, category and product (or a combination of those) is added to the xml? Or a simpler method will be better.

As the search engines crawl the store now they see lots of redirections to the cookie page because simply they cannot add items to the cart or access personalized content. All these will be redirected to the cookies page. That's a default behavior with osCommerce. Now with SEO-G these links are converted showing html pages. I am still investigating this and the impact (if any) that it will have for rankings.

Also as the documentation states, with seasoned stores, it is not wise to move from one SEO module to another (or even switch the stock osc URLs). The rankings will be altered because search engines see new links. So keep that in mind.

I'll get back to the various links combinations issue as they generated and show few examples.

Hi there thanks for the reply. Looking at this mod a little closer...this thing is the real deal. This thing is in its own league compared to CRE SEOs and Ultimate SEO's. To be able to tell the system exactly the way you want to rewrite a certain product...that is marvelous. It is extremely flexible it seems. I'd love to try it out. I am currently using ultimate seo's. I took your comment about established stores not switching because of seo etc.. Let me ask you this..how much flexability is there in category rewrites? Here is an example of a product and category rewrite on my site using ultimate seo... Will I be able to set up seo-g to rewrite the same way? that way I wouldn't have to have all new links? I'd love to try it out..mainly for the fleability going forward for new products etc... I am running CRE loaded 6.2. I think I can get it to work...are there any issues with checkout etc...?It won't break my store will it?

Category (this is the subcategory page so it writes the main category plus the subcat in the rewrite)

http://www.nicebykelli.com/catalog/diaper-...es-c-64_73.html

This is a product:

http://www.nicebykelli.com/catalog/babys-f...-bank-p-77.html

This adds the product number 77 to the end. The category adds the cat # 64

Let me know if this will rewrite or can be configured to rewrite exactyl the same way.