• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is Paypal IPN?

sormui

It stands for Instant Payment Notification and refers to the process of paypal snedng the site notice of payment as soon as it is made. You don't need to sign up for it but you do need to install the paypal ipn contribution. Without it, you will probably lose orders.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It stands for Instant Payment Notification and refers to the process of paypal snedng the site notice of payment as soon as it is made. You don't need to sign up for it but you do need to install the paypal ipn contribution. Without it, you will probably lose orders.

Jack

But I need to sign up an account in Paypal first, right?

Yes, you do. They only offer two type: Paypal Standard (or IPN) and Paypal Pro. You want the first. There are three types of standard acccounts: personal, premiere and business. It should be a business type (there is any cost to open any of them).

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I just installed CCGV (trad) countribution, will it work with the Paypal Wedsite Pro contribution and do I still need the IPN module with the website pro contribution?

Thanks,

George

for ccgv to work with WPP You need to install TRAD CCGV contrib.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

I just installed CCGV (trad) countribution, will it work with the Paypal Wedsite Pro contribution and do I still need the IPN module with the website pro contribution?

Thanks,

George

No, WPP uses a different method. The IPN module is not needed, in fact, it should not be installed, if you have WPP installed.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, you do. They only offer two type: Paypal Standard (or IPN) and Paypal Pro. You want the first. There are three types of standard acccounts: personal, premiere and business. It should be a business type (there is any cost to open any of them).

Jack

It's free to open Business account, right? Just need to pay transaction fee for each transaction?

That's correct. When I said, "there is any," I meant, "there isn't any."

Jack

Then after I have signed up an account, can I set it as "test mode" in osCommerce in order to test it before my site is going live?

The test mode for paypal is difficult to setup for just a single test like that. It is best just to make a live order. The only thing is that you can't order using your own account so someone else will have to do it.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

Jack,

Can you explain what you mean here. I am planning to use the Paypal module as it comes with osC. If I don't install the IPN contrib, will I lose orders? And why? Or will I just not received immediate notification of those payments?

THanks.

The test mode for paypal is difficult to setup for just a single test like that. It is best just to make a live order. The only thing is that you can't order using your own account so someone else will have to do it.

Jack

Oh ... it's fine then I will try to do some "fake" orders by myself for testing. Thanks for your help. :lol:

Jack,

Can you explain what you mean here. I am planning to use the Paypal module as it comes with osC. If I don't install the IPN contrib, will I lose orders? And why? Or will I just not received immediate notification of those payments?

THanks.

You will probably lose orders. That occurs when the customer leaves paypal after making payment and doesn't return to your site. Some customers will return and some won't. The orders for the ones that don't won;t show up in your admin section. It takes 5-10 mintues to install the contribution so you shouldn't hesitate at installing it.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question .... I installed the IPN contrib early last year. I got it to work in Sandbox just fine. But when I put in the live key codes and such (forgot the exact names of the certificate and key codes) ... nothing works. Why is this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have Paypal Pro and Express installed with the option that customers don't have to sign up selected. When paypal sends emails to me with orders from customers that didn't create accounts, the emails are missing what items were ordered and what the customer's phone number is. It does send the total amount, Name and address. How do I control what passes back and forth for Paypal Pro/Express? How can I also have the orders show up in oscommerce. They aren't there at all.