• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Left column acting weird in Firefox

KPGroup

Hello,

Here is my website.

Once in a while, when using Firefox, the left column appears to be shifted down by about one page length. It seems to happen randomly.

It does not happen with any other browser I have tested (IE, Netscape, Safari,...). If I reload the page, it displays correctly.

Any ideas where the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,

Karim.

I've looked at it as well, I think you may have a nested table problem, but in looking at your code, nothing really jumps out - when I dump it into a code checking program, the tables show out all weird - I think this may simply be a css error, (a float or something) and/or a conflict with tables. IE and firefox go into "quirks mode" when displaying content that is not perfectly valid, so this may be th issue.

Nothing unreal exists

Looks like the main body is being stretched and the left menu is being centered along with the length. I'd check and see if changing any percentage values on heights to a pixel value would change anything (backup before you do that or test it on a dev machine)

I've looked at it as well, I think you may have a nested table problem, but in looking at your code, nothing really jumps out - when I dump it into a code checking program, the tables show out all weird - I think this may simply be a css error, (a float or something) and/or a conflict with tables. IE and firefox go into "quirks mode" when displaying content that is not perfectly valid, so this may be th issue.

Well don't know if it helps but if I click the links it loads fine. If I refresh it all goes wonky.

Javascript?

when I refreshed everything was ok! - I would say there is some javascript getting in there, or there is some content that is writing line breaks or something - what an interesting problem. let us know how you are progressing. I had a similar problem with a dynamic menu I was generating with javascript. I had to get rid of the jscript.

Nothing unreal exists

using FF 1.5.0.11, i get the problem, but only on first load. hitting reload clears up the problem and it doesn't reappear unless i clear the cache. so not random but at least for me predictable, which is better than random.

might be a problem with the doctype delcaration. for some crazy reason, osC doesn't have that right. try validating a page with the W3 it will tell you there's not doctype declaration, because it's supposed to be in all caps but osC has it in lower case.

i had some trouble with my site that was caused by the faulty doctype combined with some XML tags mixed in that made it think it was XML, instead of HTML Transitional, which was how i was coding. correcting the doctype declaration cleared it up.

a proper transitional doctype declaration looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

altering that in every file was a chore, but one made easier with a unix command (can be done on mac too). see This Thread to learn how.

rj

... might be a problem with the doctype delcaration. ...

that's it i'm pretty sure. i just tested by correcting the doctype declaration, and that took care of the problem (at least for me, FF 1.5.0.11 on a Mac).

i really think this is a serious failing on the part of the stock osC code.

cheers,

rj

• 1 month later...
that's it i'm pretty sure. i just tested by correcting the doctype declaration, and that took care of the problem (at least for me, FF 1.5.0.11 on a Mac).

i really think this is a serious failing on the part of the stock osC code.

cheers,

rj

Thanks and sorry for the 1 month delay in replying. I just got around to do this today.

I tried changing the doctype declaration and I am getting weird results.

First I changed it to <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">. It didn't solve my problem.

Then I tried with <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">. It fixed the issue I had with the super long page (and centered left column) but I have a whole lot of new problems.

- The product images in index.php and product_info.php are underlined

- The header image doesn't always load (seems random). A reload fixes it.

- The grey line under the header is too wide

- The conditions.php and create_account_success.php formatting is messed up (too wide)

I'll get back to work :thumbsup:

I hope I am heading in the right direction.

Advice always welcome.

Archived