• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Estimated Delivery Time on Product page

bruyndoncx

I would like to have some box on the product info page that shows

1) estimated shipping cost based upon geoip (similar to shipping estimator box, but a little smarter in determining the default presented shipping options and costs)

2) estimated delivery time

I'm thinking of hacking zones to add some fields

Logically speaking I think a field is needed in the zones table similar to handling fees that in it's simplest form e.g. would say delivery in 3-4 days, and/or in a smarter way, e.g. next wednesday or thursday (if you order now).

I've seen this on different ecommerce sites, but I can't find anything in the contribution area that does anything like this.

So, have you seen this somewhere in the contributions area ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to have some box on the product info page that shows

1) estimated shipping cost based upon geoip (similar to shipping estimator box, but a little smarter in determining the default presented shipping options and costs)

2) estimated delivery time

I'm thinking of hacking zones to add some fields

Logically speaking I think a field is needed in the zones table similar to handling fees that in it's simplest form e.g. would say delivery in 3-4 days, and/or in a smarter way, e.g. next wednesday or thursday (if you order now).

I've seen this on different ecommerce sites, but I can't find anything in the contribution area that does anything like this.

So, have you seen this somewhere in the contributions area ?

I checked out your website and saw this function in action - very interesting.

But I notice on your site that this information, as well as shipping costs, is not available on the view cart contents page. I think this may be a more relavant place to insert information on shipping time and cost. Just a thought :)

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

I checked out your website and saw this function in action - very interesting.

But I notice on your site that this information, as well as shipping costs, is not available on the view cart contents page. I think this may be a more relavant place to insert information on shipping time and cost. Just a thought :)

You caught me in action. In honour of todays public holiday in belgium (labour day), I thought I'd labour a bit on my site. So I was busy overnight and finished part of the product page this morning. Currently it calculates the shipment cost (for all available methods) for the individual product shown (incl. shipment for anything already in the shopping cart). I have 3 shipping modules active but they are all variations of the zones module. I made a 'timing_zones' module that keeps track of the cutoff time for the associated ('zones') shipping module, the days of the week when we ship using this method, and then groups of countries and their delivery time (similar to weights and costs, but there is only one delivery time, no array of values).

Thus it is smart enough to know that if you order today with a delivery time of 2 days and shipping only on day 1 of the week, your estimated arrival day is next wednesday. For the daily shipping the cutoff time is important, so in our case anything ordered before 16:00 is prepared for shipping the next day, orders after 16:00 move up one day. No shipping on weekends and no delivery on weekends is assumed for now.

Now I need to add the delivery estimates plus still do the country detection bit to set better defaults.

Thats gonna be something for the next days, and then I'll tackle the checkout page and add the same :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Now I need to add the delivery estimates plus still do the country detection bit to set better defaults.

I've added the delivery time estimates and made the logic smarter to detect the most likely destination based upon ip. This logic is pretty much done in the supertracker contribution, so I changed that a bit, made the variable available globally and re-use this as the default within the shipping estimation module.

Asof last night I also have default weights setup for each of the categories, basically set the category_weight to the avg weight of the items already weighted in the category. This will avoid people ordering stuff with zero weights.

I had to change the cart class a little bit to fetch the category weigth when the products_weight was 0, but did not touch any of the order classes or checkout pages, so it was pretty smooth and I haven't found any fault with it (yet :D )

Anyone in Europe up for some testing ? Pretty much any country should work.

Anyone in the US or Canada who can tell me what they see ? (we are not setup online to ship to US or Canada)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• 2 months later...

it is very unlikely that I make this into a contribution as my shipping modules are heavily customized and i don't have time to spend to make it a contribution. If you are upto the challenge, you can contact me for a copy of the code.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON