Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oscarp

Getting away from the "->' when having sub categories.

9 posts in this topic

I will love to see either an option in the admin section to turn on and off the displaying of the -> after a category when there are subcategories. Just in the same way you can turn on and off the total amount of products in a category. It will be very helpfull. This way we can turn it off and then us CSS to add any type of indicator in a LI html element. I saw in an old post about people asking how to get rid off it and the solution was to comment out the lines of code in the catalog.pgp file. Well, if that is part of the core then we should not be commenting code out.

I hope you guys can consider my request. It is not a big enhancement. Should be very simple.

Please, let us know if you will consider it. Thanks,

Regards, Oscar

Our mission with 3.0 is to avoid bloat. Filling the Administration Tool with configuration parameters will lead to a bloated solution.

We either focus on a bloated solution and try to make it suit everyones needs, or we make a clean coded framework that can be extended on via add-ons to meet requirements precisely without affecting performance of the server.

If a module that comes standard with osCommerce 3.0 does not meet your means, it is easy to both write a new module or to install an existing module and to replace the standard one.

This is a nice conclusion: "if you're not going to change a parameter, then it should not be a parameter in the first place".

I think it would work a lot better if you gave the sub categories a class with more padding to the left and smaller text than a normal category. No bloat just very simple and easy for the user to spot the class in the categories file if they wish to add a '>' or anything of that nature.

The development is not focussing on graphic details as you may understand. Also the design will change as you can read in the Alpha 4 release discussion....

The development is not focussing on graphic details as you may understand. Also the design will change as you can read in the Alpha 4 release discussion....

I understand all your comments. I really agree on the fact that it is better to have a well defined class that provides all the necessary data with a very solid framework. Then, the graphic design should be left put of it. This fits very well into having your content and your presentation separate. This is definetely the best direction. I just think that javing the '->' is actually adding graphic/design (even on a text based format) into the result from the categories.

But to finish up this converstaion, what I need to do, is to create a module that will return tha categories formatted anyway I want or need, maybe surronded by <li> tags so that I can then add any graphic design to it.

Our mission with 3.0 is to avoid bloat. Filling the Administration Tool with configuration parameters will lead to a bloated solution.

We either focus on a bloated solution and try to make it suit everyones needs, or we make a clean coded framework that can be extended on via add-ons to meet requirements precisely without affecting performance of the server.

If a module that comes standard with osCommerce 3.0 does not meet your means, it is easy to both write a new module or to install an existing module and to replace the standard one.

This is a nice conclusion: "if you're not going to change a parameter, then it should not be a parameter in the first place".

That is a really nice philosophy Herald :rolleyes:

I just think that javing the '->' is actually adding graphic/design (even on a text based format) into the result from the categories.

But to finish up this converstaion, what I need to do, is to create a module that will return tha categories formatted anyway I want or need, maybe surronded by <li> tags so that I can then add any graphic design to it.

Yes, it is graphic/design. And it would be more logical if the arrow would be before a subcategory, not after the main category.

The current is:

Sports ->

Tennis

Basketball

Football

Better would be:

Sports

->Tennis

->Basketball

->Football

with unordered lists in the markup. With CSS you could change the bullets easily.

To remove the arrows you can open includes/boxes/categories.php and go to line 41 that says:

if (tep_has_category_subcategories($counter)) {
  $categories_string .= '->';
}

Yes, it is graphic/design. And it would be more logical if the arrow would be before a subcategory, not after the main category.

with unordered lists in the markup. With CSS you could change the bullets easily.

To remove the arrows you can open includes/boxes/categories.php and go to line 41 that says:

if (tep_has_category_subcategories($counter)) {
  $categories_string .= '->';
}

The soloution removes the arrows, but what would you do to make it fit ur "idea" ?

So you would get

Sports

- Football

- Soccer

- Basketball

etc. ?

file: \includes\modules\boxes\categories.php - starting line: 33

#  $osC_CategoryTree->setParentGroupString('', '');
 $osC_CategoryTree->setParentString('', '');
#  $osC_CategoryTree->setChildString('', '<br />');
#  $osC_CategoryTree->setSpacerString(' ', 2);

will result in:

<ul>
 <li><b>Books</b></li>
<ul>
  <li>MySQL</li>
  <li><b>PHP</b></li>
	<ul>
	  <li>Einführungen</li>
	  <li>Flash & PHP</li>
	  <li>Handbücher</li>
	  <li>MySQL</li>
	</ul>
</ul>
 <li>Games</li>
</ul>

because everything is even there... just look into the file: \includes\classes\category_tree.php

i hope i helped some of you guys...

flow

Edited by flownex

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0