• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO URL Query

muhsinb

I installed SEO URLs a while back and I've just noticed that i have 2 links per item. One like:

http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/audi-20...nual-p-111.html

and one like:

http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/audi-c-...nual-p-111.html

Surely search engines are going to penalise me for this.

What do i have to do to rectify this?

Cheers

They are differenct links. Why would they penalize you?

Jack

Hi Jack...both links point to the same place and have exactly the same content. Thing is i have cNames turned of in Admin -> Config.

Is this normal?

Oh, I see. I didn't go to the pages - just looked at the links. I think you could be asking for trouble having it set that way since that is prety much the definition of duplicate content.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Oh, I see. I didn't go to the pages - just looked at the links. I think you could be asking for trouble having it set that way since that is prety much the definition of duplicate content.

Jack

So how am i suppose to rectify this? Is there anything i can do?

Muhsin

One of the urls containign /audic-c-22/ is not a standard system generated url , where did you get it from?

You need to determine what is causing it. Is it because you have the same product in two different cateogires?

Jack

Nope...i definately don't have items in 2 different categories. But the rest of categories and products are doing the same thing. However, all the indexing, which Google is doing, it doesn't seem to pickup the cName only pNames (i do have cNames switched off), which should be good in a way i guess, because google must be thinking the products are all at the same level, ie not going down deep ... (oooeer)!

One of the urls containign /audic-c-22/ is not a standard system generated url , where did you get it from?

Something weird is going on LOL...i could put anything in the cName section for example:

http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/YOU SMELL OF POO/audi-a8-inc-s8-workshop-manual-p-116.html

and it still take me to the correct link!

Something weird is going on LOL...i could put anything in the cName section for example:

http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/YOU SMELL OF POO/audi-a8-inc-s8-workshop-manual-p-116.html

and it still take me to the correct link!

Its not wrong....the system only uses p-116 to indentify the product ...so any text before that is not used as such...

This should not give you any problems in regards to duplicate content unless you make manual links on your site yourself.

The system automatically generates consistant individual links/urls which is the ones the search engine bots will find and index.

Its not wrong....the system only uses p-116 to indentify the product ...so any text before that is not used as such...

This should not give you any problems in regards to duplicate content unless you make manual links on your site yourself.

The system automatically generates consistant individual links/urls which is the ones the search engine bots will find and index.

Hi Toycie,

thanks for clarifying...google is indexing my website very well ... over 50 pages so far and none of them refer to cNames, which is good...hence no duplicate content...PHEW!

I was worried google would ban me for spamming or something!

Thanks