• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Flash front-end for osCommerce?

Nalif

I've made flash websites before, and now I'd like to make a commerce website. However, I'd like to take the knowledge I have learned in flash and apply it to osCommerce. Instead of having just a flash menu, or a flash widget, however, I'd like to have an entire flash interface with osCommerce running from within it. I've searched the forums, and found a bunch of posts dealing with confused people and half hearted answers.

What do I need to know in order to merge the two together, and how easy would it be to upkeep (update, maintain, etc)

I've made flash websites before, and now I'd like to make a commerce website. However, I'd like to take the knowledge I have learned in flash and apply it to osCommerce. Instead of having just a flash menu, or a flash widget, however, I'd like to have an entire flash interface with osCommerce running from within it. I've searched the forums, and found a bunch of posts dealing with confused people and half hearted answers.

What do I need to know in order to merge the two together, and how easy would it be to upkeep (update, maintain, etc)

My suggestion would be to install STS (Simple Template System) onto your osCommerce and then make the templates using only Flash. STS will give you all of the osC functions into your Flash templates.

Not only does the above make it easy to maintain but also adds functionallity to your osC store such as instant style options available per category, product, page, etc. in your store.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I've installed STS, but I'm lost as to how to make a flash interface for it. Do I just make the site in flash and use the STS $ tokens inside of my flash file? I searched the most recent STS support topic and didn't find much on the topic.

I've installed STS, but I'm lost as to how to make a flash interface for it. Do I just make the site in flash and use the STS $ tokens inside of my flash file? I searched the most recent STS support topic and didn't find much on the topic.

Yep, that would do it. Note: Be sure to include the required code in order to make the Flash template work with STS. An example of the code is given in the blank template located in the test folder.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Yep, that would do it. Note: Be sure to include the required code in order to make the Flash template work with STS. An example of the code is given in the blank template located in the test folder.

I'm still not grasping this. Is there a basic template with flash components, or something out there I can view as an example? Anything would help.

I'm still not grasping this. Is there a basic template with flash components, or something out there I can view as an example? Anything would help.

Are you talking about making an e-commerce site completely in flash? Or you're simply refering to some banners?

Keep in mind the oscommerce core is php. Also an e-commerce store relies on search engines primarily for exposure. Using flash for the store (navigation, links, boxes etc) restricts spiders pretty much from accessing your store's pages identifying the content. Also users who do not use a flash plugin cannot even see it.

If you want to use just a flash banner then search the contributions for flash. There're few.

Are you talking about making an e-commerce site completely in flash? Or you're simply refering to some banners?

Keep in mind the oscommerce core is php. Also an e-commerce store relies on search engines primarily for exposure. Using flash for the store (navigation, links, boxes etc) restricts spiders pretty much from accessing your store's pages identifying the content. Also users who do not use a flash plugin cannot even see it.

If you want to use just a flash banner then search the contributions for flash. There're few.

I'd like make an e-commerce site completely in flash. I have a very specific look in mind, and e-commerce's template system is not robust enough on it's own to allow for this look.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a Flash Template for this Site for Free on the NET... i cant remember off hand where, but i'm sure if you Search Oscommerce Flash Free or something like that you can find it. ...

Threre is a downside to using Flash. Search Engine Spiders don't Follow through Flash. If your Doing this and want to make sure your indexed, you will need to add some text at the bottom to give the Spiders Something to Follow.

MIKE