• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ebay / Myspace store

Victor Wise

I had an idea that, if possible, would give a boost to your conversion rate.

As most of you are aware, Ebay and Myspace are partnering up to create myspace stores. In short, this should give you a plentiful and easily obtained supply of product testimonials on your myspace page. A myspace testimonial would be superior to the staple line of text, referred to as a review' found on OSC sites.

If you were to be selling on myspace, how could you also display these testimonials (profile comments) on your OSC page - preferably as a rotating testimonial? Any idea's? I was thinking that if duplicate content became an issue, you could turn the entire testimonial into a jpeg.

While I don't understand the programming aspects involved - if possible this, could solve the 'empty review page'. Not to mention that a review which includes a persons profile and picture is just superior to any peace of text you could possible display.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

you can do all with oscommerce. If there are no reviews for a product you do not display a link to the reviews. Or you could list the reviews with the product info page and the submit review. So search engines automatically see updated content as they crawl the product pages. Similar thing with testimonials, they can be related to products.

And if you want to reference content from one site to another you can use the rss feeds.

The more traffic you have to your store the higher the number of reviews. Is it challenging to create traffic in your case?

My objective is to obtain better quality testimonials - not traffic.

When I say better quality testimonials, I am talking about picture testimonials. For a customer, it is easier to trust a review when you can see who left it. And there can be no sales without trust :D

So, instead of trying to obtain picture reviews from transactional emails that link to a complicated upload feature, I was thinking that it would be a hell of a lot easier just to use myspace to collect reviews. For a vertical business, every user comment could be a review (or a band solicitation). But how do you take advantage of this?

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

personally I would disagree with the view you have about traffic. You are not trying to build some link farm but to generate legitimate traffic. As of customer's trust really depends what you're marketing and how. For example if you have monopoly for a product or service (because you are the one who creates it, like say an author of a book) then there is little space for doubts when someone lands on your site because he saw a reference in one of the major sites.

Now for resale, things can be quite different. For instance my store does retail where the manufacturer issues a monthly magazine which among other things contains testimonials collected by various re-sellers around the world who promote the specific products (like I do). In that case for me, as a merchant, trying to utilize or post these testimonials will be useless. Because there are thousands of other store owners who do retail with exactly the same products and have these testimonials posted already. (They have pictures, names, dates when happened and all the relevant info). So I make no difference just by placing these with my page contents.

So again when you do retail you have to promote a unique service, product, package, something that makes a difference, so if a customer visits your store he finds something that noone else has. Something unique and useful for what he's looking for. Regardless if you're selling physical or virtual products by adding certain features to your store, you can achieve this.

For the particular question now you have a blog elsewhere, you could store the comments or testimonials in an xml file and then from your osc store you pull-in its contents like an rss feed and you present those to your customers. I assume you want to do this because your blog site has higher exposure than your store? Adding a picture is not a big deal for either site, is just one form that has a file field to accomodate the upload facility.