• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do you install a template

doughsavers

1. You read the instructions that came with the template.

2. If you have bought a template and it did not come with instructions, contact the company you bought it from requesting instructions.

1. You read the instructions that came with the template.

2. If you have bought a template and it did not come with instructions, contact the company you bought it from requesting instructions.

That was very rude did not help at all.

I did not want to start a new thread. I had the same query too.

I dont know what the starter of this thread wants to achieve. But I have templates and I know how to install it. All of them are have OSCommerce files in them. I have been working on the default one and have almost setup the store. Now i want to know how can replace the template without have to mess with the database etc. I am sure there are certain files that you pick up from the template folder and replace the default ones.

I would love to know which are those files so that i can achieve the change.

I'd also like to know which exact files control the template look of the site but as far i know already, some of the files in the catalog folder need changing and also some of the files in the catalog/includes folder also need updating.

The real pain when installing templates is that they are usually made for a stock oscommerce and not a modified version. Templates come with all the osc files included though so if you do replace all your files in osc with the template versions, you will lose whatever mods u had installed before and will probably have to install them all over again on the new template files. This is an absolute nightmare (especially if you have the group pricing mod installed beforehand)

Im sure there's a faster way at applying a template so that minimal adjustments have to be made for a modded site but if someone could let us know which exact files to replace first, that would save a lot of time.

The problem i have is when i've modified a site with numerous mods and then a client wants to use a templatemonster template or something. There seems to be a lot of work involved in modifying those templatemonster templates instead of just using a modded version of oscommerce and just redesigning it yourself. Although as much time could probably be spent redoing the design of a modded site...

How do the experts apply a template to a heavily modded site with minimal effort?

He wasn't being rude just truthfull. This is a osCommerce support forum not a template support forum.

The maker of the template is the only one that is going to know what file they changed. The reason the include all the files for osc with them is because they don't want you to figure out what they changed. I learned the hard way about using templates. The one I purchased that did not work right I had to fix by myself because there support program did nothing more than ask for a login to my host. After 2 days I started looking at there hacked code job to try and find where I could get the next page indicators to show up. Stuck in the middle of the original css fiile was there mess of code for the template. So you ask what file to change to apply a template all of them if they made any changes to the css file. It would be easier to reinstall any mod you put in then trying to apply a template to your exsiting files.

How do the experts apply a template to a heavily modded site with minimal effort?

You almost answered this. Basically you should install the template before anything else. Otherwise it is file by file die-hard way.

That was very rude did not help at all.

Yes, Nick should post a 100 page document with step by step instructions how to install your custom whatever template into your custom store. In other words if you are not the oracle then you must be some rude person.

Edited by enigma1