• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

tax zones problem

Rosyweb

I've got a problem with my tax zones setup in OsCommerce.

I've searched and searched the forums and although I've found several places where people have posed the question I can't find an instance where its been answered.

I want to create 2 separate tax zones (for 2 different countries). Both with separate tax rates and shipping charges.

I've done this by defining 2 Tax Zones. When you create 2 tax zones (covering different countries) OsCommerce adds the tax for these together in the admin area - catalog product description. So if one zone i.e. UK = 17.5% and another zone (different locations) = 10% it adds these together to add 27.5% tax.

Anyone know a way to do this? Have different shipping locations but the tax not to be compounded?

many thanks

Goto your osc Admin->Locations/Taxes->Tax Rates. The left column of the list is shown as "Priority". It is explained when edit a tax rate.

Tax rates at the same priority are added, others are compounded.

Goto your osc Admin->Locations/Taxes->Tax Rates. The left column of the list is shown as "Priority". It is explained when edit a tax rate.

Hi Mark thanks for getting back to me. Yes that was the problem. I didn't want it to either add the tax % (from 2 different tax zones) together or compound them (add one, then add the other on top of it). I wanted it to check to see what area (tax zone) I was in and then only add the tax for that tax zone.

However I think I was going at it the wrong way and just trying to do something the system wouldn't let me do. The way I got round it - I created a second shipping zone (not tax zone), (instructions were in the shipping/zones.php page) and then I could state different delivery rates by country rather than by tax zone. This allowed me to only have one tax zone so I didn't get added or compounded tax. Anyway it seems to work fine now.

Thanks for replying though - appreciated.

Archived