• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A site review would be appreciated

Hi, I've put together this site and I think it is pretty much working properly. I've installed some mods and things look like they are working for the most part. I would love some guidance from the experienced community.

I know I am probably doing some things that affect performance,

and as for design. . . my excuse is that I have no talent for that. We make the stuff on the site in our machine shop, there's nobody here here but a bunch of surly guys that have no idea about what looks good. :)

http://www.bigdrinkgear.com

Thanks.

Bob

Your site is really pretty nice for a site done by a bunch of surly guys. It is simple and clean and does a good job of presenting your products.

Since you provide your location and phone number, it would probably be a good idea to add it to the contact us page (Super Contact us enhancement 1.0). And, you could add the phone number to the header, too (I just noticed that it was in the footer, but that was after not finding it in the Contact Us, and finding a toll number in About Us - i.e., the footer isn't a good location for it).

Re. the Contact Us info, I just found your hours of operation in the Shipping & Returns area - they should be moved (or added) to Contact Us. (you also have a typo in shipping - caluclated).

I don't know that you need the Quick Browse Categories in the header - it seems like you have 8 total products and the selection is easy enough to access from the left column category box. And, the lack of product depth is one thing that worries me - maybe you should consider some related items that you don't make to expand the appeal of the site (probably tough to get American made gear, though).

Re. the design - I like the Big Drink Gear logo, but I don't like the repetition of it to the right of the logo in the header. Somehow, you should incorporate American Made Salt Water Tackle into the logo. Why not go to a yuppie bar and get some advice from a designer that might be hanging out - look for someone with an Apple notebook.

Technically, it seems like you have done everything correctly - thumbnail images, SSL, clear payment methods, no hit count in the footer, links, etc. But, you did miss adding search engine friendly URL's and Header Tags Controller - although with my shop, I found that paying Google for a few AdWords was much more effective in getting search engine recognition.

Good luck with the site.

Tony

Your site is really pretty nice for a site done by a bunch of surly guys. It is simple and clean and does a good job of presenting your products.

Since you provide your location and phone number, it would probably be a good idea to add it to the contact us page (Super Contact us enhancement 1.0). And, you could add the phone number to the header, too (I just noticed that it was in the footer, but that was after not finding it in the Contact Us, and finding a toll number in About Us - i.e., the footer isn't a good location for it).

Re. the Contact Us info, I just found your hours of operation in the Shipping & Returns area - they should be moved (or added) to Contact Us. (you also have a typo in shipping - caluclated).

I don't know that you need the Quick Browse Categories in the header - it seems like you have 8 total products and the selection is easy enough to access from the left column category box. And, the lack of product depth is one thing that worries me - maybe you should consider some related items that you don't make to expand the appeal of the site (probably tough to get American made gear, though).

Re. the design - I like the Big Drink Gear logo, but I don't like the repetition of it to the right of the logo in the header. Somehow, you should incorporate American Made Salt Water Tackle into the logo. Why not go to a yuppie bar and get some advice from a designer that might be hanging out - look for someone with an Apple notebook.

Technically, it seems like you have done everything correctly - thumbnail images, SSL, clear payment methods, no hit count in the footer, links, etc. But, you did miss adding search engine friendly URL's and Header Tags Controller - although with my shop, I found that paying Google for a few AdWords was much more effective in getting search engine recognition.

Good luck with the site.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the advice. I know that product depth is my major problem. We have three more products in the works and are considering reselling some other innovative products. I fixed the typo and I will be installing Super Contacts today if possible. I want to get rid of the categories drop down too, only I just don't know what to do with that white space.

I thought about the header and made some changes. I made the whole header area smaller and changed the site to full page width rather than forcing it to 800 pixels across.

Whats the general consensus on page width these days? anyone?

Thanks for the advice on finding designers. I actually have a couple of Apple toting designer friends (We are in suburban New Jersey after all) I thought that was pretty funny.

Bob

Archived