• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL - Is it necessary

zefeena

I understand that the site need to have a secure server when taking credit cardts etc. But surely it doesn't need to be secure until they want to pay? Currently my working site uses the paypal cart, it's annoying as everytime someone 'adds to basket' it takes an age to load up the secure bit. I would like my new site to be speedy!! I can't manually take credit cards, i will continue to use paypal, and perhaps another option for credit cards/switch if anyone can suggest a suitable one that charges per transaction. But can someone tell me if i will need to do this SSL installation if i am using paypal and another merchant banker and not actually taking the details myself. I have no need or desire to see anyones credit card details - surely!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Without SSL the details someone enters when they Create Account or when the Login/Logout are not encrypted, and neither are the Account Edit pages etc. I wouldn't buy off a site that wouldn't spend the money/time and effort to secure my details - and neither will an increasingly security consciouss buying public.

As you are UK based your best Payment Service Provider would be Protx - but you need ssl to be able to connect to them, plus a Protx account, Protx Direct installed, and an Internet Merhant ID.

Vger

Thank you. It is not a reluctance to spend money. I just didn't know why or if the SSL was needed. I am developing my site where it is, with the intention of copying the whole thing over to a new server, and then moving my working domain name to it (www.sewingchest.co.uk) , once i know it's all working. Currently i already have a site running and i need the domain name to link to the new site, but cannot afford downtime while the transfer takes place. I presume i shouldn't set up the secure server thing until i'm ready to go live?

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

I understand that the site need to have a secure server when taking credit cardts etc. But surely it doesn't need to be secure until they want to pay? Currently my working site uses the paypal cart, it's annoying as everytime someone 'adds to basket' it takes an age to load up the secure bit. I would like my new site to be speedy!! I can't manually take credit cards, i will continue to use paypal, and perhaps another option for credit cards/switch if anyone can suggest a suitable one that charges per transaction. But can someone tell me if i will need to do this SSL installation if i am using paypal and another merchant banker and not actually taking the details myself. I have no need or desire to see anyones credit card details - surely!

As Vger pointed out, it is still important to secure your site with an SSL certificate even though you are using PayPal.

You still need to offer security to your customers other stored information which will be held in your databases.

Something like this QuickSSL is all you'll need. You could even utilize that caertificate if in the future you decide to process the payments yourself (on your site with a gateway and merchant account).

You should give them a call and check with your hosting service as you might need to -

Problem: I need to have a SSL (Secure Socket Layer) installed for my domain.

Solution: You will need two things for an SSL, a dedicated IP (which costs $$ per year) and an SSL Certificate. SSL certificates can only be installed on your main domain on the account and cannot be for a subdomain, addon domain or parked domain.

As far as making the PayPal SSL transaction speeder, not much you can do about that as it is dependent upon PayPal's system.

Good Luck ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Thank you all.

i'm currently developing my site on a server using domain name www.corsetmaking.co.uk, but when i go live i will put all info on a new server (whihc i'm paying for but not currently using) and then move my other domain name (www.sewingchest.co.uk) from my third current server to the unused one. The trouble is sewingchest is currently live and making money but the site info has been corrupted so i can't update. Sewingchest gets good traffic so have to use that domain name else i'll miss out on the past few years work getting the rating so high.

I can't really afford downtime. Can I set the certificate etc up first on my unused server so its ready when i transfer the site info and domain name, and will it make it more diffiuclt for me to transfer the info. I have no idea how to do the transfer, so rather worried about anything that will make it more difficult.

Any competent web host can add your domain name (www.sewingchest.co.uk) to one of their servers and allow you to set up your website on it using temporary pathways. Then, when everything is all set to go, you just need to repoint the dns addresses to the new host and redo the configure.php files form their temporary pathways to the full, domain based, pathways.

Moving the content is easy:

1. Download all of the folders/files and upload to the new site

2. Take a backup of your database using the Tools --> Backup Manager facility in your existing osCommerce admin folder, then access your new database with your new host using phpMyAdmin and 'Import' the database backup into it.

3. Redo the two configure.php files you transferred from your old host to the new host with the correct pathways.

Vger

Archived