• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which contrib is best Google sitemap

scranson

Found all these contrib related to Site Maps. Which one is the best?

Google sitemap generator 2.2-CVS 1 Feb 2007

Google XML Sitemap Feed 2.2-CVS 17 Jan 2007

Increase your Google Page Rank, add an XML Sitemap (FREE) 2.2-CVS 14 Jan 2007

Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin 2.2-CVS 18 Dec 2006

Site Map MS2-2.2 2.2-CVS 15 Dec 2006

Dynamic SiteMap V 1.0 2.2-CVS 26 Oct 2006

Google Sitemap Generator for MS2 2.2-CVS 5 Jun 2005

Extra Pages MS2-2.2-SiteMap Cross Over 2.2-CVS 6 May 2005

SEO Sitemap 2.2-CVS 19 Jun 2004

Use the Google XML Sitemap Feed by Chemo, version 1.3. The dynamic sitemap works for all search engines instead of just google so it should be installed too.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I've been using Froogle/Google Base, Yahoo, and Bizrate Feeds and it's been working great for me. It's located here.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri.../search,feeders

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

I've been using Froogle/Google Base, Yahoo, and Bizrate Feeds and it's been working great for me. It's located here.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri.../search,feeders

Data feeders are different than sitemaps. They are useful, but they serve a different pupose.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Be careful which one you use. I used a contribution from here for a dynamic sitemap and in less then 24 hours Yahoo "unindexed" all but 7 of my pages. Yesterday, I installed this one: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,sitemaps . It's actually a referral to a website.

Anyway, that website does have a free verion but it's only good for 500 pages. I bought the upgrade, and it's something you have to install on your server. I made a Google friendly .xml which I submitted, and a text sitemap just for Yahoo.

The last contribution made a mess of my sitemap.php. Does anyone have the code for the original sitemap that comes with oscommerce?

Be careful which one you use. I used a contribution from here for a dynamic sitemap and in less then 24 hours Yahoo "unindexed" all but 7 of my pages. Yesterday, I installed this one: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,sitemaps . It's actually a referral to a website.

Anyway, that website does have a free verion but it's only good for 500 pages. I bought the upgrade, and it's something you have to install on your server. I made a Google friendly .xml which I submitted, and a text sitemap just for Yahoo.

The last contribution made a mess of my sitemap.php. Does anyone have the code for the original sitemap that comes with oscommerce?

It is impossible for a change you make today to unindex you from a search engine in less that 24 hours. It some contribution made a mess of your site,whatever that means, then it is most likely you installed it incorrectly. But even if you did and your site was completely broken in every way imaginable, the search engines would still have you lsited in the same place tomorrow and they did yesterday.

Instead of using the contribution you mention, one should install the ones I mentioned, along with All Products with Images. That gives a complete map of your site to all search engines without have any limitations or having to pay as in the contribution (if it cqan be called that) that you mention.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It is impossible for a change you make today to unindex you from a search engine in less that 24 hours. It some contribution made a mess of your site,whatever that means, then it is most likely you installed it incorrectly. But even if you did and your site was completely broken in every way imaginable, the search engines would still have you lsited in the same place tomorrow and they did yesterday.

Instead of using the contribution you mention, one should install the ones I mentioned, along with All Products with Images. That gives a complete map of your site to all search engines without have any limitations or having to pay as in the contribution (if it cqan be called that) that you mention.

Jack

Believe me, Yahoo has done stranger things. They are famous for stunts like that. Anyhow, if your sitemap is tailored to Google (like sitemap.xml) apparently yahoo cannot read it. That is why I think they unlisted me.

Yahoo has been reading the new text sitemap I made just for them.

I've narrowed it down to 3:

What is the difference between them? What is the difference between a sitemap feed and just a sitemap?

The google sitemap is just for google. No one, not even your customers see it. The Dynamic Sitemap is an actual sitemap that goes on your site so customers can go to it to find their way around.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Believe me, Yahoo has done stranger things. They are famous for stunts like that. Anyhow, if your sitemap is tailored to Google (like sitemap.xml) apparently yahoo cannot read it. That is why I think they unlisted me.

Yahoo has been reading the new text sitemap I made just for them.

An update. I made a text sitemap for Yahoo, submitted it to them and now they re-listed me. It took about 4 days, but I was sweating it.

• 2 years later...
The google sitemap is just for google. No one, not even your customers see it. The Dynamic Sitemap is an actual sitemap that goes on your site so customers can go to it to find their way around.

Jack

it is generally a good practice to have two sitemaps, one for google, and one human readable format. this is a practice which google recommends for webmasters and will contribute positively to your organic page rank.

it is generally a good practice to have two sitemaps, one for google, and one human readable format. this is a practice which google recommends for webmasters and will contribute positively to your organic page rank.

As for having two sitemap contributions, I agree. Did it sound like I was saying otherwise? And, by the way, in case anyone is following this thread, see my Add Ons for the correct google sitemap contribution to use and the Sitemap SEoO contribution, which should be used instead of the Dynamic Sitemap.

But as far as your statement that they will improve your "organic page rank," that is incorrect. Page Rank is only afected by links to your site.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I'd like your opinion on this: rather than having a google sitemap contribution I have always used a sitemap.xml file generated by GSiteCrawler, is that ok you think?

Isabella

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Jack,

I'd like your opinion on this: rather than having a google sitemap contribution I have always used a sitemap.xml file generated by GSiteCrawler, is that ok you think?

Isabella

I'm only vaguely familiar with that program so can't really comment on it. But the obvious short-coming is that you have to manually run it, though I suppose you could use the Windows scheduler. Also be sure the url's are valid, epecially making sure they don't include session ID's. In my mind, having a script ran automatically by the server that you don't have to even think about is the much better solution. But if you don't mind the extra work and the url's it generates are of the correct format without session ID's, then I don't see a problem with it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for your input, you are right in that it is actually rather time consuming to use Gsitecrawler especially since it picks up links you don't want in there. Other than that it generates url's of the correct format and doesn't take session ID's, but last time I had the fun of manually checking close to 10,000 links... :rolleyes:

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

I wouldn't use it in that case. The google sitemap contribution creates them all correctly and you never even have to think about it once it is setup.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good thread, answered some of my questions re sitemaps. I have a google sitemap that generates an xml file for google to crawl. Is there any additional benefit for having one on your homepage? Is it purely just for user to look at? speaking from my personal experience, I come cross many sites has such link at bottom, but I rarely click on them.

A site map page on the site is useful for customers. Some customers do use them and all professional sites have one. But they are also useful to the seach engines. Anything that provides links to your pages will help get them listed faster.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A site map page on the site is useful for customers. Some customers do use them and all professional sites have one. But they are also useful to the seach engines. Anything that provides links to your pages will help get them listed faster.

Jack

Thank you Jack. I am going to install Sitemap SEO later.

As for having two sitemap contributions, I agree. Did it sound like I was saying otherwise? And, by the way, in case anyone is following this thread, see my Add Ons for the correct google sitemap contribution to use and the Sitemap SEoO contribution, which should be used instead of the Dynamic Sitemap.

But as far as your statement that they will improve your "organic page rank," that is incorrect. Page Rank is only afected by links to your site.

Jack

i was merely adding to the statement which you made. i wasn't arguing of disagreeing with you.

however i would have to disagree on this aspect:

"Page Rank is only affected by links to your site."

links to your site alone does not determine page rank. the only thing that will impact page rank by itself is unique content. any other optimization technique will not determine page rank, only compliment it. It is the mass of optimization techniques in combination with one another which will ultimately impact page rank in organic search results.

i am not disagreeing with you that links to your site impact page rank, because it does, however, it also depends on what sites are linking to you, how many are linking to you, and how many visitors are following those links.

search engine optimization goes far beyond what can be explained on a single sentence. i myself can write an entire book on what I know. when i make a statement about seo, chances are im correct. the reason is because i have spent many years researching the subject, ive read 4 books on it, countless blogs, forums, google webmasters tools not to mentioned i was first trained in the subject by someone who gets paid to do seo for companies and takes great pride on being able to deliver top results.

i am not doubting that you have some background in seo, based on the wealth of valuable seo contributions you have provided us. believe me, they are valuable. especially to seo gurus such as myself. im just saying maybe you should cross reference what i am saying. perhaps you could have merely misunderstood my statements.

i hope this clears things up. please dont take what i have said to heart.

thank you once again and keep up the good work. we appreciate it ;)

sorry i must add, i tried to edit the previous poist but by the time i finishe dit didnt let me change it so sorry for the late add on

let me clear something up for you. the reason why having two sitemaps impacts organic search results positively is for the following reasons:

1: google needs a way to spider all content of your site effectively. thats the purpose of having a google sitemep. the google xml sitemap just gives google a means to have accurately updated links each time google spiders your site. on top of that, google has to be directed to the xml sitemap either through webmasters tools and/or robots.txt file so that your site can be effectively indexed.

2: google ranking system is based on calculated algorithms that take numerous factors about your site and content and calculates accordingly. these calculations are automatically compared to the calculations of other sites and you are ranked accordingly. the purpose of this ranking system is to give a means for users to find the best content in organic search results.

3: googles ranking system rewards you positively for creating an easier user interface. the more you design with your user in mind, the easier they will be able to find content within your site and the easier googles spiders will find content within your site. that is the purpose of having two sitemaps.

i was merely adding to the statement which you made. i wasn't arguing of disagreeing with you.

It wasn't a problem either way. I don't take offense by what anyone says here and it makes no difference to me if others disagree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

however i would have to disagree on this aspect:

"Page Rank is only affected by links to your site."

links to your site alone does not determine page rank. the only thing that will impact page rank by itself is unique content. any other optimization technique will not determine page rank, only compliment it. It is the mass of optimization techniques in combination with one another which will ultimately impact page rank in organic search results.

You may be confusing terms. The phase "page rank," when used with google is the process they use to determine how to rank a site, which results in the sites index position. They use over 100 known methods for doing that. One of those methods is "Page Rank," commonly called PR, which is a measure of how many sites link to a given site and how relevant those links are. It is the latter my comment was referring to. If you are talking about PR, then your statement is totally incorrect. PR is only determined by the number of links to a site and the relevansy of those links - nothing else.

i am not disagreeing with you that links to your site impact page rank, because it does, however, it also depends on what sites are linking to you, how many are linking to you, and how many visitors are following those links.

"Links to your site" is the only thing that affects PR. Traffic to a site will increase its page rank (or index position) but doesn't have any affect at all on PR.

search engine optimization goes far beyond what can be explained on a single sentence. i myself can write an entire book on what I know. when i make a statement about seo, chances are im correct. the reason is because i have spent many years researching the subject, ive read 4 books on it, countless blogs, forums, google webmasters tools not to mentioned i was first trained in the subject by someone who gets paid to do seo for companies and takes great pride on being able to deliver top results.

i am not doubting that you have some background in seo, based on the wealth of valuable seo contributions you have provided us. believe me, they are valuable. especially to seo gurus such as myself. im just saying maybe you should cross reference what i am saying. perhaps you could have merely misunderstood my statements.

There's not much reason to cross reference anything. What determines PR is common knowledge. You can start here for a better understanding of it though.

i hope this clears things up. please dont take what i have said to heart.

never.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived