• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Template Monster template faulty - category merging

murano

Here's the sad story of my purchase from Template Monster :(

To see what the shop looked like (out of the box) and to see the back end I downloaded

osc and installed it on my server (all fine and dandy worked fine including the DB)

However with little coding experience (and time) I need a quick install of something that looked fab :)

so chose this template (working version) http://osc2.template-help.com/13462/index.php

It's had the perfect look and feel for my shop and I could adapt the piccies.

I wiped the standard shop and set up a fresh database then tried installing...

"Table 'db198377632.configuration' doesn't exist"

a tad poo! So I contacted their support team - (more poo)

Here's a transcript.....

12:04:41 Ch***** Hello, murano. How can I help you?

12:05:32 murano I'm trying to install an OS commerce template and theres a config file for the database missing :(

12:05:41 Chr***** Please, use the following link to read our detailed tutorials on editing: http://info.template-help.com

12:05:43 murano Table 'db198377632.configuration' doesn't exist

12:06:11 murano I have installed raw os commerce and it installed fine

12:07:13 murano I then deleted the whole catalogu from the server and the database used, created a fresh database and tried with the shops clean install following the instructions exactly. to get the error message above

12:08:47 murano so I tried installing the standard os commerce shop then following the instructions to overwrite the pics etc but got less than satsfactory results :( (it did install though), so the only thing i can assume is the template's install file is incorrect somehow or missing a file...

12:09:20 Ch***** Please, use the following link to read our detailed tutorials on editing: http://info.template-help.com

12:09:47 murano I did AND followed the instructions the file isn't installing properly

12:12:25 murano Hello?????

12:32:51 murano is there any technical support other than read the instructions??? :(

12:35:07 .?

12:36:34 murano I have given an exact description of the error there's a file missing from the template.....please help?

12:56:39 murano hello?

Nearly an hour of getting nowhere - so I asked for a refund....

they then said there was nothing wrong with the template and they'd install it for me...

They DID, using the standard oscommerce.sql file and telling me the .sql file of the template will be revised and you will be provided with an updated version. So template was installed and ready to use. Great service I thought :)

Until I loaded some products in ....All the categories return ALL the products..

Here's my shop (sorry it's in the early stages so excuse the missing pics etc)

www.muranosilver.com/shop can anyone suggest a fix for this

It might just be my newbieness but I can't see a "seperate categories" button.

Any help greatfully appreciated..

Nicola x

P.S> If anyone is a designer who doesn't charge masses and could help me tweak the template

I'd be glad to talk hiring fees :) (message me)

Edited by murano

• 2 weeks later...

Your not the only one

i purchased a template, and the author removed any code to allow sub cat or cat images to show

and i dont mean commented out, i mean completely stripped from templates

heres my site

and my start of boycott against templatemonster.com until they refund my money or my chargeback goes thru

i had a two day long conversation with them, and they had the nerve to tell me there was an admin demo for my template, and should have tested it out

I wonder where this admin demo is, and i highly doubt they would put a working version up, and allow the public to change any values

retarded

http://www.johnnyangeltees.com

i can tell you one thing, if they dont fix my problem, im putting this template on the net under the idea, that in order for people to help me, they have to download the entire reworked templates in order to understand how to help me.

(as long as they agree not to use, Of course ;) )

HERES MY CORRESPONDENCE (however you spell it)

James

Posted On: 10 Mar 2007 04:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrderID:8656805 or v98RT642Alfq16Rg5n3P

I have purchased template 12294 for oscommerce, and i am Very displeased.

It looks great, But Most if not ALL the important functions have been REMOVED!!!!!

its one thing to disable certain funtions in admin, but to completely remove them from the templates is awfull!, no docs to add major functions.

I DEMAND A FULL REFUND, i paid for a good looking cart ( and it is) but i will not pay for something that has NO USEABILITY!, alot of the shopping cart functions have been stripped away totally, and i could not change it if i wanted to , cause tags that are in templates are not there in case i wanted to turn things on off, I expect a full refund, or i will just chargeback claiming fraud

I believe the fact that cart functions being totally removed versus just turned off in admin, not being disclosed, is pure fraud, i want it to look good , but i also want the ability to use oscommerces basic functions, if i decide to turn them on! I have just read your terms of use, and THIS product is a STRIPPED DOWN version that does not have the same functions as a FREE CART. It is not as expected AT ALL

Regards,

James Angel

Paul Krakowsky

Posted On: 12 Mar 2007 09:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear James,

Thank you for reaching Technical Department of Template-Help.com!

We are sorry that your template is not working according to your

expectations. But you had a great opportunity to check our OsCommerce

templates by using a Live Demo page before placing an order (it also allows you to access an admin panel

and handle the whole stuff).

We use main features of OsCommerce engine to create our own

e-solutions with better looking. Please mind that our OsCommerce

templates were re-coded by our programmers and so on a preview page of

each OsCommerce template we provide a live demo to show our customers how it

actually works. Also you could download our free OsCommerce template

and check all the things you were interested in. If you had some

doubts concerning a product you could contact our Customer

representatives which are working round the clock and make all the

things clear before purchasing.

Since you are not pleased with this particular template #12294 we are willing to meet your expectations and may offer you an exchange. Please, choose any other OsCommerce template to your liking starting from #13077 (you may check this page for more details: http://info.template-help.com/Updates_And_.../article2.html) and get back to us with an exact item number. Then we'll swap the templates. Thanks for your cooperation!

Best regards,

Technical department

Template-Help.com

Support Team

Phone: 1.518.312.4147

James

Posted On: 12 Mar 2007 01:32 PM

Ive dealt with oscommerce before, I know what the the basic features are,

I tested it on the live demo, but never saw an admin area for that template,

there is no demo for admin, My problem is the templates have been recoded WITHOUT LEAVING an option for cat, and sub cat images in the templates. It doesnt matter what i do in admin, those templates will never show catagory images or sub catagory images.

Admin demo doesnt exist as far as i can see. so your previous email was wrong as far as im concerned.

I request again that the money be returned, if i have to chargeback, it will cost me nothing but you guys a little more.

Chris Diaz

Posted On: 12 Mar 2007 01:34 PM

Dear James,

Thanks for contacting Technical Support Department of Template-Help.com! We appreciate your participation in the betterment of our products!

please see the following link:

http://info.template-help.com/after_sale_s...ase/OsCommerce/

Best regards,

Technical Support Department

Template-Help.com

Support Team

Phone: 1.518.312.4147

James

Posted On: 12 Mar 2007 01:53 PM

I tell you guys what, this is the best looking template ive ever seen, and glenn i believe to be the best.

At least do me this favor, help or tell me (meaning you guys) the code and template to change to get catagory and subcatagory images to display.

I want to creat a catagory named "by design" and it will bring up subcatagory images.

here an example

http://www.johnnyangeltees.com/index.php?cPath=2

for some reason when i make a subcatagory, and it has an image for itself, it takes me to a page that the two images show up on and "bestsellers" never show, even when i had a bunch of sold porducts.

something is wrong here cause if i delete that subcatagory than it wont show the page with the square images "special offer" "universal shoes", than it takes me to the real page

example.

http://www.johnnyangeltees.com/index.php?cPath=1

i may not have explained it very well, but if you follow my links you will se something is wrong

I just want subatagory images re activated if not, well

James

Posted On: 12 Mar 2007 03:20 PM

Hello?

James

Posted On: 13 Mar 2007 12:32 AM

Well i have waited all day for a responce,

I do not have a responce, as to how to get subcatagory images back in the templates

-there is no "admin" area to demo on this template as stated, so there is no way i could have known this could not easily be resolved thru admin.

-the video section does not tell me squat about this problem

-i do not want one of the other templates, (if i did i would have ordered another to begin with)

-there is an obvios error in codeing, if adding a subcat, it takes you to a different page than if a cat had no sub cat.

-and the support has been either "no you cant have your money back cause there is an admin for this demo" (where is the demo admin for this template, and do you expect me to believe you would put a functioning one up for this temp?)

or follow this link, which takes me to a video section that does not pertain to this problem at all.

I HAVE BEEN VERY FAIR, I have given you guys the opportunity to fix this problem of sub cat images not showing, and make me happy.

NOW I AM FORCED TO DO A CHARGEBACK, OR POST THIS TEMPLATE ON THE NET SO PEOPLE CAN DOWNLOAD AND HELP ME IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND IT BETTER (after they agree or accept a disclaimer not to use it of course).

Once people are able to see the source code, im sure they will have a much better understanding of it, in order to help me.

Which sucks for glenn, cause people will find out that maybe his templates arent built for allow the buyer a little control over the basics.

this problem isnt something i can just turn on or off, in admin

the option of showing subcat images has been completely stripped from the templates. ( something a buyer can not know since the "demo admin" spoken of doesnt exist for this template.)

I will allow time until noon of 3/13/07 for you guys to tell me how to fix this template (12294)

or i will find outside help, and inform people exactly what to expect from you guys - on oscommerce forums, and anyother forum i can think of. I dont want people to download , but they wont know how to fix this subcat image problem without viewing the code. Since you cant even tell me what templates or codes, they will have to look at it all.

I will make them agree not to use it, but i will also let as many people help me as possible

We should get a list of unhappy customers going, if there isnt already one

How well will they sell if the forum, of the site, of the cart :) that they base there templates on, boycotts them

if its warranted of course

They need to disclose basic feature changes before people buy their templates

Edited by johnny_angel

Well i have to say that template monster has contacted me, and totally turned my situation around. They have directed a develpoer to fix the sub cat image problem in my template.

I feel kinda bad, cause maybe i got way too frustrated before sending my initial message, after searching and searching thru my templates for a solution.

Murano, if you are still having database fractures, i would def take the time the make a support ticket, and ask if they could take a deeper look at the sql file.

If you havent already, I hope you find a solution sorry for hijacking your post, just wanted to initialy let you know you werent alone

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a template from template monster.

Ok its broken because it is for mysql-4 and my host runs mysql-5 and I didn't look into it before I bought it.

I contacted help who told me after finding out I am using mysql-5 to submit a ticket for help and tutorials on how to fix it.

The ticket response was, its for mysql-4 not mysql-5. Thats it......

In addition, the the demo behaves differently to the version I downloaded.

Clicking on a menu item opens a sub menu. Where as the demo just shows the products for that category.

So now I have to recode the menu to get back to how it was shown in the demo.

And I have to fix all the mysql-4 commands to mysql-5 standards.

The correct response from the help desk should have been.

A. Would you like us to get the code back to how the demo runs ?

B. We will have the template updated to mysql-5 ASAP (witch is backwards compatible to mysql-4)

I got the template to save me some time in setting up the shop.

Now I have to spend my time getting it to work.

I might as well have made my own from scratch.

I will never purchase a template from template monster again............... There templates are OUTDATED....

EDIT:

And none of the images from the language folder show up either.

I dont know if that is mysql-5 related or not.

Edited by The_Vulcan

Add to my former complaint.

When the submenu activates it pushes out one of the header parts to the right by 2-3px.

In the customer informations screens, the containers for that information is also a few px out.

It may only be a couple of pix here and there but I can't stand shit that don't line up even if it is only a few pix.

And its just more crap I have to fix.

• 1 month later...

They sorted out the stuff that stopped the template loading at all.

but I've found out there's no payment area.

I spent aaaaagggggeees making the pics look great and another

age loading all the products in.

http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/

If you click on my account it comes up page not found,

You can add things to cart but if you try to check out the

https://www.muranosilver.com/shop/checkout_shipping.php is page not found...

I'm really beginning to get peed off with this :(

I feel like I'm so close (but no cigar)

Is there anyone out there who could help me with this?

Plus I'm looking for someone who can put contact info into the contact me section

PLUS an Articles section at the side (for returns info etc)

I purchased this template http://www.templatemonster.com/oscommerce-...dcc39f4b9da6126

Which has the article layout I want so I have the code (if it's any use)

I'd be happy to PAY for someones help with template adjustments:)

Nic x

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that templatemonster doesnt really clarify on their website is that it isn't actually pure TEMPLATES they sell, but oscommerce shops that are heavily modified to work with the designs.

With a template like this, there is no flexibility regarding ANY functions of any kind that you cannot see in the live-demo, as this kind of flexibility would "break up" the hard coded layout of the design.

If this would be stated in a more noticeable way on TM's website, one can really check out the demo for a template before making the desicion to make a purchase or not, but the trouble you guys has gone through is really bad. Shame on TM.

I believe that if you want greater flexibility, it is always better to hire someone to make a template for you that works the way you want it. It would cost a lot more than a TM template, but considering all the trouble, and all endless hours you've spent on getting your designs to work you'd probably have been happier with paying more to get what you need right away.

I do custom templating for oscommerce sites from time to time, and to get a great looking shop that has all the oscommerce features working, and a basic kit of contributions installed often requires 100+ hours of work, and this kind of workload just isn't worth to put in for a TM template that sells in a few number of copies for some $170, of which TM takes most. The TM designers hacks the shops to only work EXACTLY as in the demos, no more.

Just my 2 cents

Torgil Benigh

----------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

I am yet another very DISSATISFIED Template Monster customer. I am glad that I found this post before I purchased the template. I am only echoing what others have said here but want to confirm that NONE of these problems have been resolved to this day (JULY 7 2007)

1. Their oscommerce templates are OUTDATED. They only work with PHP4 and MySQL4

2. Their oscommerce sites are inflexible. If you are happy using their template just the way it is and change only the images then it is fine. If you want to re-add additional oscommerce features (that they remove from their template for reasons only they know), I would say it is going to be tough.

3. Their customer service is COLD at its best. They are a bunch of people that have absolutely no care for their customers. I have known other large companies with much better customer support. TM simply is behind on that front by miles and that, to me, is the deal breaker.

Anyway, hope this helps others that are heading the TM way...

Srini

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks...

I purchased a TemplateMonster template also... I'm a little distressed myself. (I haven't contacted them)

I downloaded a very good looking Template from them and found that once I installed it much of it didn't work for me.

What I did was update the osCommerce code by following a set of Instructions which I found in these forums. It involved me copying and pasting many lines of PHP from this document and placing it in the PHP files installed by my Template... it fixed the template but has left my worried about trying to add other contributions to my store.

I am considering getting a stable install of osCommerce... adding all the mods I need and then hiring somebody to copy the image files and any required code from my Template Monster template into my working (stable) osCommerce install.

Anybody got any ideas for me about who to hire or is it possible I'll be able to learn how to copy the template code / images into the new osCommerce installation?

I just don't know what to do...

Here's the sad story of my purchase from Template Monster :(

To see what the shop looked like (out of the box) and to see the back end I downloaded

osc and installed it on my server (all fine and dandy worked fine including the DB)

However with little coding experience (and time) I need a quick install of something that looked fab :)

so chose this template (working version) http://osc2.template-help.com/13462/index.php

It's had the perfect look and feel for my shop and I could adapt the piccies.

I wiped the standard shop and set up a fresh database then tried installing...

"Table 'db198377632.configuration' doesn't exist"

a tad poo! So I contacted their support team - (more poo)

Here's a transcript.....

12:04:41 Ch***** Hello, murano. How can I help you?

12:05:32 murano I'm trying to install an OS commerce template and theres a config file for the database missing :(

12:05:41 Chr***** Please, use the following link to read our detailed tutorials on editing: http://info.template-help.com

12:05:43 murano Table 'db198377632.configuration' doesn't exist

12:06:11 murano I have installed raw os commerce and it installed fine

12:07:13 murano I then deleted the whole catalogu from the server and the database used, created a fresh database and tried with the shops clean install following the instructions exactly. to get the error message above

12:08:47 murano so I tried installing the standard os commerce shop then following the instructions to overwrite the pics etc but got less than satsfactory results :( (it did install though), so the only thing i can assume is the template's install file is incorrect somehow or missing a file...

12:09:20 Ch***** Please, use the following link to read our detailed tutorials on editing: http://info.template-help.com

12:09:47 murano I did AND followed the instructions the file isn't installing properly

12:12:25 murano Hello?????

12:32:51 murano is there any technical support other than read the instructions??? :(

12:35:07 .?

12:36:34 murano I have given an exact description of the error there's a file missing from the template.....please help?

12:56:39 murano hello?

Nearly an hour of getting nowhere - so I asked for a refund....

they then said there was nothing wrong with the template and they'd install it for me...

They DID, using the standard oscommerce.sql file and telling me the .sql file of the template will be revised and you will be provided with an updated version. So template was installed and ready to use. Great service I thought :)

Until I loaded some products in ....All the categories return ALL the products..

Here's my shop (sorry it's in the early stages so excuse the missing pics etc)

www.muranosilver.com/shop can anyone suggest a fix for this

It might just be my newbieness but I can't see a "seperate categories" button.

Any help greatfully appreciated..

Nicola x

P.S> If anyone is a designer who doesn't charge masses and could help me tweak the template

I'd be glad to talk hiring fees :) (message me)

Your not the only one

i purchased a template, and the author removed any code to allow sub cat or cat images to show

and i dont mean commented out, i mean completely stripped from templates

heres my site

and my start of boycott against templatemonster.com until they refund my money or my chargeback goes thru

i had a two day long conversation with them, and they had the nerve to tell me there was an admin demo for my template, and should have tested it out

I wonder where this admin demo is, and i highly doubt they would put a working version up, and allow the public to change any values

retarded

http://www.johnnyangeltees.com

i can tell you one thing, if they dont fix my problem, im putting this template on the net under the idea, that in order for people to help me, they have to download the entire reworked templates in order to understand how to help me.

(as long as they agree not to use, Of course ;) )

Do not deal with Template Monster. Bought a template, and was not sent the code. Asked twice and finally they sent the actual programmers directory of the code (didn't match the instructions of installing, so had major problem). Was told the template could be edited within Dreamweaver, and that was untrue. Tried getting on their chat line and the people were very COLD and wouldn't answer the questions I asked. They would then disconnect without even telling me. Tried to get back on and they replied no operators available. I believe they were purposely doing this. Got on chat line through another angle (anonymously) and miraculously the same operator came on. Still didn't answer my questions.

I then asked for a refund that day and was refused by Paul Krokowsky. I will never deal with Monster Template again. They should be held accountable for their company. If you're reading this, beware of them. They should not be in business!!!!!!!!!

Nice site. Consider changing EUR with the simbol € (ALT + 0128)?

never buy from template monster,. here is the reason why.

many things in the templates are hardcoded.

eg of other strange things,

open the headers and you will see that the catagory and other pieces like manufacturers are in this page.

on oscommerce they are seperated and called in buy left collum.

other examples are that these outdated templates use hardcoded codes.

today i "found" one of their templates and after checking some pieces noticed that Language parts are hardcoded. eg. "price" was hardcoded. my shops run in 3 languages and price is in english. same thing goes for $ and euro sign.

in the end i am taking parts of the code from their templates and using it in my own websites.

it takes a long time to get exactly what you want and placing it where you want it and make it look good but it will make my shop work.

template monster will never ever do a refund. its an empty promise.

i bought a template last year showing 4 languages. it could never have worked cause many parts were hardcoded in english so it could never change to german and spanish.

they told me it works and told me to complain sending an email to some adress. several days later i got a no refund mail.

basicly what they do is use old versions of oscommerce and they do not tell you which version and which date.

they show you a nice pic and running shop without any of the contribution that you need and you have to pay before you can see what it does.

then when you see you cant use it without 100+ hours of rebuilding it to make it work and ask for a refund they say no.

there are many torrent websites where you can find free "template monster templates", download them, test them and you will see you cant use it.

i wont tell you where you can find them but they are out there.

template monster is a waste of money.

• 2 years later...

Second (or third or wherever we're at) that emotion! Template Monster is a waste of money!

I'm new to Oscommerce and not a php coder so I thought purchasing a template that I kind of liked would be a "short cut" to the end result.

Was so wrong! Cannot add any important contributions like SEO Urls or Featured Products or basically, anything, without breaking the shop!

I'm much worse off that if I'd started from scratch and I'm still out the money!

Raise your voices and let Template Moster know that their templates should work as STS or BTS templates! Personally, I'm going to post about it every where I can, blog about it and let everyone who ever asks me know what I think!

Easy buy using credit card.

1st sign of trouble ring card company and ask them to refund the transaction. They will do and very rarely ask major questions, if they do say not as described.

Template Monster will then have to pursue you for the money back.

Either that or just dont buy from them at all.

STS is great and does everything you want it to it just takes a bit longer for you to do it.

• 1 year later...

That is the reason they do not allow PayPal to purchase their templates - creditcard or PP - they would be already out of business because of thousands of refunds they'd have to give.

Yep, nice looking templates [like from 'mercury' designer] but useless.

Kyle,

The post Michele replied to is over 1.5 years old. Although template monster templates don't have the best reputation, there would be no harm in checking out the one you bought to see if it will suit your needs. Otherwise, you can ATTEMPT to get a refund but that is highly unlikely.

Chris

Will I be able to add stuff to it like the custom URLs and Coupon addons?

I don't really need too much, only have about 5 products.

Disappointed, after seeing all this negative feedback.

Like I add a product and it redirects to the homepage, and seen another post on here and someone said because it's garbage lol.

Edited by doogie88

Will I be able to add stuff to it like the custom URLs and Coupon addons?

I don't really need too much, only have about 5 products.

Disappointed, after seeing all this negative feedback.

Like I add a product and it redirects to the homepage, and seen another post on here and someone said because it's garbage lol.

yep - that's right. I too had forced over 140 bucks for a nice looking template - but that's all I have - a nice look with horrible functions. I can't insert the flash I wanted to replace because of the crappy code. Refund - forget it - there is non ever.

Most templates that are available for osc are just plain ugly - so, yes, one tries to get something better. It doesn't matter where you look - even if you see the template somewhere else - it's just an affiliate of monster.

Boy, little did they know when they started that their chosen name will truly turn out to be a MONSTER.