• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

changing permissions

zefeena

Someone has just installed the cart for me at www.corsetmaking.co.uk, i am now on my own! I apologise if the answer to this question is elsewhere, i have looked, but not really sure what i'm looking for.

I want to change the pages so they say what i want - but it says i need to change permissions. Where are these permissions and what do i change them to? Please feel free to explain as though talking to a complete idiot as i'm feeling very out of my depth with this!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

I'd really appreciate some help on this!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Let's hope we can get some clarification from more advanced users.

I'll share some of my experiences with permissions.

Changing File Permitions

I can do this online through my web hosting's account Control Panel. (oneworldhosting.com)

There is a File Manager function that allows for permissions to be modified.

I can also do this through my current FTP program (FileZilla).

I connect to server, browse through the files; right-clicking opens up a menu with an option to change permissions, also called "File Attributes."

Permission Types

When setting File Attributes (Permissions), you can opt for modifying: OWNER, GROUP, and PUBLIC permissions.

For any of these 3 groups you can deifne settings as: READ ®, WRITE (w), and EXECUTE (x).

A file can then be denoted: rwxrwx (This would mean OWNER and GROUP are both allowed read, write, execute)

This is the current permission value for most osCommerce files I can see.

These permission combinations also contain a value, the example above equals 770.

Different configurations equal different values... (755, 7x7, depending on how attributes are marked)

That's as far as I know. Hope that helps a bit.

Now, I have experienced many strange things installing non-default language packs.

These occurrences include that when uploading new files, permissions to these files are not automatically the same as the rest of the osCommerce default files. I went on to change these permissions to assimilate the way they are by default in osCommerce, but this seems to have created problems for me. For once, the "icon.gif" file used for the language flag of the newly installed language pack stopped displaying. Moreover, I experienced error messages related to this language file. (norwegian.php) I have plenty of mysteries to uncover. Every change could seriously affect the rest of the system somewhere.

If anyone recognizes any of this please share tips on how to setup any needed permissions.

Thanks!

Archived