• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thank You

SpinerC

A note of thanks to any and all who did try to help me over the past disasterous weekend.

For those reading unaware..... I had a SSL Cert added to my new ready to go, Store. Just for the comfort of the customers to know their information is encrypted, even though they are taken to Paypal for their financial transactions.

A few words of caution & advice......

Seems that the SSL Certificate is best added BEFORE you build your site.

I have an advertising campaign coming out in less then two weeks and my site totally crashed. No one could find the error or fix what was wrong.

I lost everything...... over 380 products with descriptions are now gone and the few customers I did have, their acounts are now gone as well, now have to go through the process of signing up all over again.

Be very careful with the contributions and add ons that you put in your new store as well..... seems there are a number of us having similar issues with error messages.

Does oscommerce have a "ghosting system" when it is moved from one server to a secure one and just won't let go of the past?

Just a thought outloud........... I am exhausted and emotionally drained from the past weekend. :'( I have a huge investment that needs to start paying me back and the means was just flushed.

Wishing each of you all the best! :thumbsup:

Sincerely

Charlene

A note of thanks to any and all who did try to help me over the past disasterous weekend.

For those reading unaware..... I had a SSL Cert added to my new ready to go, Store. Just for the comfort of the customers to know their information is encrypted, even though they are taken to Paypal for their financial transactions.

A few words of caution & advice......

Seems that the SSL Certificate is best added BEFORE you build your site.

I have an advertising campaign coming out in less then two weeks and my site totally crashed. No one could find the error or fix what was wrong.

I lost everything...... over 380 products with descriptions are now gone and the few customers I did have, their acounts are now gone as well, now have to go through the process of signing up all over again.

Be very careful with the contributions and add ons that you put in your new store as well..... seems there are a number of us having similar issues with error messages.

Does oscommerce have a "ghosting system" when it is moved from one server to a secure one and just won't let go of the past?

Just a thought outloud........... I am exhausted and emotionally drained from the past weekend. :'( I have a huge investment that needs to start paying me back and the means was just flushed.

Wishing each of you all the best! :thumbsup:

Sincerely

Charlene

Hmmm... I'm not sure what the problem turned out to be, or how it was behaving while you were having this problem, but you shouldn't have had to lose any of your existing products, customers, or orders, as this information is all stored in the database and is entirely separate from the files that make up the store... On top of that, you really shouldn't have had to lose any files either, as the ssl cert installation is done at the server level, and doesn't modify the files or rely on the files in any way... While I do agree that you need to be care with what contributions you add to your store, the addition of an ssl certificate shouldn't break any that are working, or even take note of their presence... It simply detects that a user has made an https request vs. http, loads the appropriate certificate, and encrypts the page that's sent, rather than sending it in unencrypted format... The page still compiles and executes the exact same, only the output is encrypted... Whether or not you add the cert before or after you've made modifications to the store shouldn't matter either way... Can I ask what kinds of problems you were experiencing when this thing wasn't working right? And do you have any database backups you can fall back on now that you've apparently wiped the database?

Richard.

Richard Lindsey

Hmmm... I'm not sure what the problem turned out to be, or how it was behaving while you were having this problem, but you shouldn't have had to lose any of your existing products, customers, or orders, as this information is all stored in the database and is entirely separate from the files that make up the store... On top of that, you really shouldn't have had to lose any files either, as the ssl cert installation is done at the server level, and doesn't modify the files or rely on the files in any way... While I do agree that you need to be care with what contributions you add to your store, the addition of an ssl certificate shouldn't break any that are working, or even take note of their presence... It simply detects that a user has made an https request vs. http, loads the appropriate certificate, and encrypts the page that's sent, rather than sending it in unencrypted format... The page still compiles and executes the exact same, only the output is encrypted... Whether or not you add the cert before or after you've made modifications to the store shouldn't matter either way... Can I ask what kinds of problems you were experiencing when this thing wasn't working right? And do you have any database backups you can fall back on now that you've apparently wiped the database?

Richard.

Hi Richard :)

Sure ya can :D

Well it started with script disappearing that had to do with language files. When I went into the "My Admin" to add some product to the site, where it normally had headers that read "Customers, Support and Configuration" they instead had BOX_CONFIGURATION_something or other.

And then icons were disappearing off the catalog like the little English flag, I tried manually installing it, nope nothing. Then the payment, shipping choices vanished from the store on-line site.... and when I was trying to upload pictures of product, it wouldn't take it, I just had a big square with the red X so, I added them manually into the image folder and whala! they would appear.

Then we have the error that wasn't really there...... it is here on the board, if you search for my postings, you can see the scripts, the begging for help and the desperation..... postings from this weekend.

It would say there was an error in the html/index.php file at line 340 or 336 and when I checked that line against the original scripts that I have and the original of oscommerce on line, nothing wrong with it. So to be on the safe side that it might be a ' or a . or a <php or ;?> that I just couldn't see, I copied and pasted the final 8 to 10 lines of script into the file and whala! Still same error message.

That is why I say.... when the site moved from one server to a secure server, everything slowly began to either disappear or change. And no one was doing anything.

I discovered it when I was adding product.

Sad..... Hope you had a better weekend :)

Blessings!

Char :)

Archived