• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cube Cart shipping setup to OSC shipping?, and downloads postage to zero?

jeremymears

Hey there,

I'm converting a Cube Cart shop to OSC and it's going swimmingly. It's my first OSC shop and i've been liking it more than Cubecart, but sorta stuck on this and postage for digital downloads. I've been looking thru the help etc and forum but can't find anything that helps me exactly so i'm hoping for a little direct help

It's a Australian store selling books and DVD's etc locally and overseas. We've worked out the postage and are happy with the pricing and would really like to duplicate it in OSC. But there's seems to be a difference in how postage is set in CubeCart compared to OSC.

In Cube cart you set the Postage in the categories level. So the store is arranged with DVD's and books arranged in different categories and postage set to account for the weight difference (dvds 120gms, books ~1kg) So it's sort of flat rate postage, items up to 500gms go into a $4 postbag, and items up to 3kg in a $10 postbag (Australia Post). Anything over 3kg is broken up into multiple bags. Then some handling charges etc. Overseas have a more expensive version of the weight limited post bags. The client is happy with this, ie doesn't want to change and would be grumpy at me if he had to, he's got a whole pile of these post bags he's bought

Here's how the categories are setup in Cube Cart (DVD's)

Per Shipment: $6

Per item: $1

Per International Shipment: $6

Per International Item: $3

Books:

Per Shipment: $4

Per item: $5

Per International Shipment: $7

Per International Item: $24

Any chance of setting something similar in OSC?

I've also got some digital downloads (pdf's) which i've worked out with help from FAQs but shipping keeps getting added. The FAQ doesn't describe how to turn shipping charges off for just downloads.

I'd be grateful for any help as i'm still trying to wrap my head around the differences between OSC and CubeCart so if i'm missing anything obvious i apologise

regards

Jeremy

Hey there,

I'm converting a Cube Cart shop to OSC and it's going swimmingly. It's my first OSC shop and i've been liking it more than Cubecart, but sorta stuck on this and postage for digital downloads. I've been looking thru the help etc and forum but can't find anything that helps me exactly so i'm hoping for a little direct help

It's a Australian store selling books and DVD's etc locally and overseas. We've worked out the postage and are happy with the pricing and would really like to duplicate it in OSC. But there's seems to be a difference in how postage is set in CubeCart compared to OSC.

In Cube cart you set the Postage in the categories level. So the store is arranged with DVD's and books arranged in different categories and postage set to account for the weight difference (dvds 120gms, books ~1kg) So it's sort of flat rate postage, items up to 500gms go into a $4 postbag, and items up to 3kg in a $10 postbag (Australia Post). Anything over 3kg is broken up into multiple bags. Then some handling charges etc. Overseas have a more expensive version of the weight limited post bags. The client is happy with this, ie doesn't want to change and would be grumpy at me if he had to, he's got a whole pile of these post bags he's bought

Here's how the categories are setup in Cube Cart (DVD's)

Per Shipment: $6

Per item: $1

Per International Shipment: $6

Per International Item: $3

Books:

Per Shipment: $4

Per item: $5

Per International Shipment: $7

Per International Item: $24

Any chance of setting something similar in OSC?

I've also got some digital downloads (pdf's) which i've worked out with help from FAQs but shipping keeps getting added. The FAQ doesn't describe how to turn shipping charges off for just downloads.

I'd be grateful for any help as i'm still trying to wrap my head around the differences between OSC and CubeCart so if i'm missing anything obvious i apologise

regards

Jeremy

I think that the Multi Vendor Shipping Module would work best for you. With that contribution you can setup DVDs as one vendor and then Books as another. Then you can assign any specific shipping module to each vendor. When you setup a procuct you assign it to a vendor (i.e. Books) then when someone buys books it appys the shipping rules for Books to all the Books sold. If you sell a combinatiion of Books and DVD's in the same order It woud calculate it as two different shipments though. That may or may not work for you.

Good Luck!

Kendall

Brooklyn, New York USA

I think that the Multi Vendor Shipping Module would work best for you. With that contribution you can setup DVDs as one vendor and then Books as another. Then you can assign any specific shipping module to each vendor. When you setup a procuct you assign it to a vendor (i.e. Books) then when someone buys books it appys the shipping rules for Books to all the Books sold. If you sell a combinatiion of Books and DVD's in the same order It woud calculate it as two different shipments though. That may or may not work for you.

Good Luck!

Thanks Kendall, i'll give it a try. I had looked thru the shipping modules but the sheer number of options left me reeling.

Sounds like it should work.

regards

Jeremy