• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No need for SSL with Paypal IPN?

liquidhal

I've been slowly working on setting up an oscommerce site, coming from no experience in the field, so bear (bare?) with me.

Getting an SSL certificate seems expensive and troublesome. I understand that when taking credit cards on your site it's absolutely necassary, but as I understand the paypal IPN module, all the sensitive credit card info is handled in paypal's site. Does this let me off the hook in regards to getting an SSL certificate?

I suppose the paypal express/pro features would require SSL.

I browsed the SSL providers, the lowest I've found is about $150 a year, is that what people generally pay?

You don't need a dedicated SSL certificate which is expensive. Most of the hosting providers nowadays offer shared SSL certificate at a very low price or free. It is good enough to start with.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

You don't need a dedicated SSL certificate which is expensive. Most of the hosting providers nowadays offer shared SSL certificate at a very low price or free. It is good enough to start with.

True. Also, imho, you need ssl when you are collecting personal details.

You'll need a certificate recognized by most browsers, which is not always (or never?) the case with shared certificates. If the certificate is not recognized, your customer will see a nice popup window saying that this is not a trusted site. Not really nice.