• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Shipping by Weight AND Size

EGoldstein

Dear friends.

This topic is about USPS shipping by size. Since I found no solution using USPS calculating shipping by size AND weight I decided to build a solution that supports this issue.

Case Study

A client of mine is using osCommerce to sell books online. He uses USPS in real life and want's this supported by his shop.

Problem

Following mail options should be used:

a) Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Large) $9.50

B) Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Small) $5.25

c) Global Priority Mail - Variable Weight (Single) $10.50

The books are of different sizes and different weight.

Eg.book A fits into Mail option B) from above (Flat-rate Envelope (Small).

book B

Dear friends.

Again. But this time right. Usually I don't have thick fingers.

This topic is about USPS shipping by size. Since I found no solution using USPS calculating shipping by size AND weight I decided to build a solution that supports this issue.

Case Study

A client of mine is using osCommerce to sell books online. He uses USPS in real life and want's this supported by his shop.

Problem

Following mail options should be used:

a) Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Large)

B) Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Small)

c) Global Priority Mail - Variable Weight (Single)

The books are of different sizes and different weight.

Eg. book A fits into Mail option B) from above (Flat-rate Envelope (Small)) by size and weight

book B fits into Mail option B) by weight but needs to go into mail option a) by size.

Goal

When displaying the shipping page at checkout only valid shipping options should be displayed. That means no shipping option that is not working should be available.

Development Steps

1) - extending the product table with the attributes length, width, height

- product page in admin section needs to be updated with input fields for length, width, height

==> then it will be possible to store the dimensions for one product

2) - changing the code in shipping page to achieve the final goal

- calculation the total size --> like max(width), max(length), sum(height) --> the books get stack on each other

- deciding which envelope type

- asking USPS for the shipping cost

Open Questions and Comments

I'm not quite sure about step 2 of the development steps. I read the USPS documentation to find out about the size. The thing I remember was I can give the size of the product to ship BUT it needs to be already the name of the letter. Eg. Flat-rate Envelope (Small).

There is no way just to give the dimension in inch or so. Am I right?

Final

If you think you can help - let me know. I'm new to osCommerce but willing to get this done. Also if you have some experiences esp. with USPS calculation please share with me.

Thanks.

EGoldstein.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

It sounds like you have a similar situation that I find myself in. My store is selling t-shirts. We can get two normal sized shirts into a single, Priority mail flat-rate envelope. The USPS Method will accomodate this no problem. But if a customer has 3 or more items in their cart, then we need to use a flat-rate box, which kicks the shipping up. The USPS method does not recognize this. I'm trying to figure out how to make this work, as I'd really like to offer my customers more than just the flat-rate shipping. If I can get the USPS method to work, then I can offer more than just the Priority mail option. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I'd really like this to work for me, but the system seems to assume that I'm working off a weight-based system and not quantity.

Anyone got any ideas?

Brian (Schadeboy) Schade

CIO and Webmaster

Twilight Teez, LLC

"Camping is nature's way of promoting the hotel industry."

-Dave Barry

• 2 months later...

I am having this exact problem. Shipping calculations on one item are fine, but when a customer buys two, it pushes the package size into the next USPS catagory, but OSC does not include that. Has anyone found a solution?