• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Probably the best (looking) you have yet seen!

el_diavolo

Hi to all!

After hours and hours and days and months I’ve almost finished my web shop :thumbsup:: D

But I want the community opinion so I can rest a little bit

Please post here your feed back! I’ll be more than glad to hear some real critics and if you have seen a better (looking) site please posted here. I’ll beg you !

I hope this thread will be a starting point of ideas for those who want to see really good site’s.

Thank you to all.

Best regards

P.S. I'll come back with a list of contributions used in my page :):)

www.e-electronica.es

My

osCommerce site is in my profile.

My tools will have to be: Photoshop, Flash, Dreamwaver, WS_FTP, XAMPP...

Using the best to create the best!

My contributions: Site Preload, others coming soon..

you must be kidding with those default oscommerce buttons !

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Hi to all!

After hours and hours and days and months I’ve almost finished my web shop :thumbsup:: D

But I want the community opinion so I can rest a little bit

Please post here your feed back! I’ll be more than glad to hear some real critics and if you have seen a better (looking) site please posted here. I’ll beg you !

I hope this thread will be a starting point of ideas for those who want to see really good site’s.

Thank you to all.

Best regards

P.S. I'll come back with a list of contributions used in my page :):)

www.e-electronica.es

you have to check your homepage more carefully .... you have added fancy boxes, but they do not align (center one lower that column boxes). It's extremely obvious to me ...

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

You need to put some information in the shipping & Returns, Privacy Notice, Conditions of Use areas as well as some of your product listings.

Adding your address and SSL will give the customers confidence in buying from you. Also listing the types of payment you accept would aid the customers

You have a view all Manufacturers button, yet there is only one manufacturer.

Your sitemap needs some work to get rid of the red text (The red text does not link to anything)

When you select English language, you still see the word Busqueda: next to the search box. (No idea what that means, sorry) Also the product descriptions still stay in Spanish. It might be an idea to remove the English flag if you are not going to support the language fully.

The stock osCommerce buttons do not really work with the rest of the sites layout, also the graphics for the reviews does not go with the rest of the site

There seems to be a lot of wasted space to the right of the logo. That could be put to better use.

I personally don't like the scrolling specials and whats new boxes, but that is my own personal taste and lots of people might like them.

When you go to register an account, the postcode is above the City, which, to me, seems very strange. As you are also shipping to the US (and all the other standard countries from a stock cart) you may want to call it a zip/post code (or something similar)

I do not like the colour of the rollover text in the categories box. Maybe a colour closer to your logo would be better. Not too keen on the red text for the rollover text either

Have you thought about making the site a fixed width? I am not sure if that is favoured or not.

The light colour of the boxes does not make the site stand out from the rest enough for me I am afraid, but the overall effect of the boxes is nice.

Have a look at this site by Bruyndoncx http://www.keukenlust.be/

You should be able to get a lot of good ideas from there.

Please don't take any of these comments the wrong way, just trying to help and give an outsiders point of view.

You need to put some information in the shipping & Returns, Privacy Notice, Conditions of Use areas as well as some of your product listings.

Adding your address and SSL will give the customers confidence in buying from you. Also listing the types of payment you accept would aid the customers

Your sitemap needs some work to get rid of the red text (The red text does not link to anything)

When you select English language, you still see the word Busqueda: next to the search box. (No idea what that means, sorry) Also the product descriptions still stay in Spanish. It might be an idea to remove the English flag if you are not going to support the language fully.

The stock osCommerce buttons do not really work with the rest of the sites layout, also the graphics for the reviews does not go with the rest of the site

There seems to be a lot of wasted space to the right of the logo. That could be put to better use.

I personally don't like the scrolling specials and whats new boxes, but that is my own personal taste and lots of people might like them.

When you go to register an account, the postcode is above the City, which, to me, seems very strange. As you are also shipping to the US (and all the other standard countries from a stock cart) you may want to call it a zip/post code (or something similar)

I do not like the colour of the rollover text in the categories box. Maybe a colour closer to your logo would be better. Not too keen on the red text for the rollover text either

Have you thought about making the site a fixed width? I am not sure if that is favoured or not.

The light colour of the boxes does not make the site stand out from the rest enough for me I am afraid, but the overall effect of the boxes is nice.

Please don't take any of these comments the wrong way, just trying to help and give an outsiders point of view.

Not the worst i have seen, but surely not the best i ever seen.. Come on were you kidding?>

you must be kidding with those default oscommerce buttons !

Yes you are right and corect judge! the buttons are a shame. But untill I have a original and good Ideea for them...I'll let them like this.. Verry soon I'll modify them. Thanks

you have to check your homepage more carefully .... you have added fancy boxes, but they do not align (center one lower that column boxes). It's extremely obvious to me ...

Please Monika in Germany - can you be more explicit. It's obvios that I can not see (understand) what are you referring to. Make'it a little more detalied. please. I'll love to here more and to understand. What box in especialy are you refferig to?

In continuation I'll add the contibutions used in my store:

Allmanufacturers 2.1b

All products page

Dynamic SiteMap v2.0

Featured Products

Google Sitemap XML Generator v1.11

Graphical Borders

Separate price per customers v4.14

Header Tags Controller 2.5.9

Loginbox

Search Box Anywhere

Specials on Default 3.0

Products Short Description

Search Box Anywhere

Short Description in products

Show Sub categories

Star Product

Ultimate SEO URLs

Whos Online

Who s Online Enhancement

Image Magic v1.16

Header Template Modern Design

PDF Manual v1.0 in “product description” and in “product listing” - made by me with Ability to add the manual from admin zone – when adding a product or update’ it.

Automatic urllist.txt, sitemap.xml and ror.xml generation – paid

And of course almost all of this contributions are adapted and modified for my shop and for my own taste!

Right now I will prepare a detailed responce for DeadDingo and kallista ... :) Enjoy my site

My

1. For the moment it' just one manufaturer... probably you are right ...better removed :) I'll think about this.

2. Red text it's just for users who my find this funcion interesting ..but yes ...I'll consider this too.

3. The product description is available in spanish and english too ...I'ts something rong with your cookies or your browser. Sorry!

4. Stock buttons ( :) yesssss you all are right .... I'll change this soon. Skip this please.

5. The emty space in header is for a new baner (flash one) that will rock. For the moment I belive it's better like this, becose I don't have nothing to put. And I will not put something just to fill the space. Thanks for this. You are right!

6. This site (Bruyndoncx http://www.keukenlust.be/) in my opinion it's strange. I can not see myself buying from here... It's not bad ( but please look at the contributions list that I use ) This site is behind me. Sorry!

At least in the product description it's a huge blank space !!!!!!! It's a complete whaste.

A lot of products vidowt picture !!!! What can you say about this.

Ultimate SEO URLs ?¿ considere this very important, at leas for search engines.

Don't take none of this personaly ...It's just an opinion.

We are here to change opinions for free.. witch is great. Hope and whait more comments and sugestions

Please do not post the one's that we already have dicused!

thank you verry much to all !!!!!

My

Not the worst i have seen, but surely not the best i ever seen.. Come on were you kidding?>

Hi kallista

Yes I belive you that it's not the best. Probably it's just one for each one of us.

My site it's a site that implement's a lot of work, and modification form the standard template, can you notice this please!

Until now I like'it :D

Yes please put here the best osCommerce site you have seen!

I am whating for your site, ok?

The best osCommerce sites I intend to introduce to my directory ( despide is a strictly spanish directory )

So please impress me with a site and will enter automaticly into a directory. What do you say about this?

thank you very much!

bye bye

My

Please Monika in Germany - can you be more explicit. It's obvios that I can not see (understand) what are you referring to. Make'it a little more detalied. please. I'll love to here more and to understand. What box in especialy are you refferig to?

I think I explained it already properly ... you should always take screenshots and check yourself, not have othrs do this for you. when I look at the homepage, I see immediately something is not right, which is proven by the close view...

alignment.gif

post-56607-1171734806_thumb.jpg

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Guten Abend

Yes Monika in Germany, you are right, now I can realy see what you are trying to say.

I definatly aprove your opinion and I will find a way to resolve this...

Now I see other problem. I didn't see'it till now. And If you see a solution please poste it here along with your opinion.

The problem is in the 2 boxes named: "Specials" in the right

"What's New" in the left

I think in putting them to the same level, but the problem is that the "Shoping Cart" box it can not be removed :( Or I don't know...

please somebody give me an ideea.

I'll be more than happy to hear more critics about my site.

Please, do not repeat the isues already mentioned!

bye bye

My

6. This site (Bruyndoncx http://www.keukenlust.be/) in my opinion it's strange. I can not see myself buying from here... It's not bad ( but please look at the contributions list that I use ) This site is behind me. Sorry!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But saying that my site is behind yours based on contributions used, is really short sighted, my list is way longer :D (see first couple of posts in my store review thread) .

Seriously, what contributions that you have installed you feel really makes your site superior (or put differently, has the most added value ? )

Can't compare apples to oranges: your site audience is different from our site audience, your business is different from our business, our is an established brick&mortar business with close to 10000 product references stocked. Our primary sales channel is the physical shop while we are working on building the internet presence and more closely integrating the online offering with the store to have correct prices, stock availlability and shipping cost and estimates given to the customers in (near)) real-time online.

At least in the product description it's a huge blank space !!!!!!! It's a complete whaste.

A lot of products vidowt picture !!!! What can you say about this.

Product descriptions and images are missing for a lot of products.

I've even made my own dragdrop admin interface to upload images for multiple products at once.

I even have statistics for how many are still missing and just listing/reporting missing stuff.

Why do I even bother uploading these ? To centralize the inventory. Everything sold in store and tracked with barcode label individually is added to the site, even without product. Since we sell 95% brand name products, people knowing the product will buy purely based on brand/model and price information without the (stock) picture especially for hard to find items.

Ultimate SEO URLs ?¿ considere this very important, at leas for search engines.

I agree, but first I need my shop to be orderly and fully integrated with the store inventory.

Secondly, SEO urls is not something to setup overnight, so need to take some time to do it properly and fully test the site for any unwanted side effects.

Additional notes on your site:

1) According the EU directives (which Spain should have converted into law as well), you have to have your business contact info and registration shown on every page.

2) sitemap, there are several links duplicated and where text is cut of. Very odd effect.

3) when your page loads, initially none of the graphical boxes are shown, then they start showing very slowly and it really takes a long time for your site to display and stop shifting and settle properly into space.

I was wondering if you have gzip compression enabled.

4) Top or Catalog in the breadcrumb I think will do, doesn't look like you have a separate home page outside the shop ?

5) I personally don't like the way the short descriptions are used on the listings. One seems to flow into the other products'. I'd add more space or some separator line/box to make it more clear.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Additional notes on your site:

1) According the EU directives (which Spain should have converted into law as well), you have to have your business contact info and registration shown on every page.

2) sitemap, there are several links duplicated and where text is cut of. Very odd effect.

3) when your page loads, initially none of the graphical boxes are shown, then they start showing very slowly and it really takes a long time for your site to display and stop shifting and settle properly into space.

I was wondering if you have gzip compression enabled.

4) Top or Catalog in the breadcrumb I think will do, doesn't look like you have a separate home page outside the shop ?

5) I personally don't like the way the short descriptions are used on the listings. One seems to flow into the other products'. I'd add more space or some separator line/box to make it more clear.

Yes, this is the type of atitude I whant! I like you!

Let's start!

1. UE directives...yes. agree!

2. Sitemap. It's main purpose it's to serve crawlers... But it will be perfect in no time - code problem.

3. The load time it's normal for this template. Even smaler becose I use Imagemagic contribution.

Our site's can not be compared, special becose mine tends to deliver a plesent experience too...not just business.. And yours tends to be very simple and borring to pass trough.

I hope you agree with me.

Thank you very much for your observations. I realy apreciate your time guys!

Still not satisfied with the site's you guys proposed! Nothis out of ordinary... Ok I will serch myself.. Soon we will discus about this too.

bye bye now!

My

Yes, this is the type of atitude I whant! I like you!

Let's start!

1. UE directives...yes. agree!

2. Sitemap. It's main purpose it's to serve crawlers... But it will be perfect in no time - code problem.

3. The load time it's normal for this template. Even smaler becose I use Imagemagic contribution.

Our site's can not be compared, special becose mine tends to deliver a plesent experience too...not just business.. And yours tends to be very simple and borring to pass trough.

I hope you agree with me.

Thank you very much for your observations. I realy apreciate your time guys!

Still not satisfied with the site's you guys proposed! Nothis out of ordinary... Ok I will serch myself.. Soon we will discus about this too.

bye bye now!

wow what arrogance... how you dare say so with 2 scrolling boxes that make me headaches, and a header that looks like a mess in ANY resolution, is beyond me.

Not even mentioning the js error IE clearly shows ... of course you do not even know about it as you just tend to support stop IE ... hilarious! Woops, now I DID mention your nasty js error!

Add to it the most boring colors on earth that make me see and forget your design in the same moment. Is this the kind of comment you like? Not really my style normally, but I really did not like yours.

Monika

Well, if this is the best looking website ever then I must be hallucinating. It looks pretty standard osCommerce to me.

All this talk about how many contributions various people have added to their websites is a distraction. Customers don't care about how many contributions you've added. They only care if the website grabs their attention, if it gives them confidence in you as the seller, and if it is easy to navigate. My views are:

1. The website looks nothing special at all.

2. I'd never buy from you as you don't have ssl to protect my data.

3. Navigation is standard osCommerce.

Vger

Well, if this is the best looking website ever then I must be hallucinating. It looks pretty standard osCommerce to me.

All this talk about how many contributions various people have added to their websites is a distraction. Customers don't care about how many contributions you've added. They only care if the website grabs their attention, if it gives them confidence in you as the seller, and if it is easy to navigate. My views are:

1. The website looks nothing special at all.

2. I'd never buy from you as you don't have ssl to protect my data.

3. Navigation is standard osCommerce.

Vger

Your site is at the bottom of the list, go look at live shops and see some good ones..

If you cant take our views don't ask.

This forum is here for us people who want honest views.

But hey if you think its the best then great for you,

But don't come on here and cut down others, cause that wont last and you'll be gone

bye bye now

Hi kallista

Yes I belive you that it's not the best. Probably it's just one for each one of us.

My site it's a site that implement's a lot of work, and modification form the standard template, can you notice this please!

Until now I like'it :D

Yes please put here the best osCommerce site you have seen!

I am whating for your site, ok?

The best osCommerce sites I intend to introduce to my directory ( despide is a strictly spanish directory )

So please impress me with a site and will enter automaticly into a directory. What do you say about this?

thank you very much!

bye bye

LOL

okay

Hi richey !

The problem with 'animated' new products box and the offer box is that will increase the load time of the page ( just initialy - becose later the fotos will have been cashed) The load time i'v noted that was double.

I will think if to reenable it or let it static...

Resolved problems till last post:

- Resolved js error :D was the google analytics ( i did not subscribe to this service till now and the code was for another page :D )

- I have modified the position of the 'language flags' in the header. And also i'v modificated the code of the header for a compatibility with all browsers. :) Was a mess - my fault :D

- I have also removed the search option from header - till I find a better place for it.. hope soon. If not I will let it like a box. (a little bit standard ...)

- Changed the dinamic box to static ones. Now the page load faster and better like load aspect.

Problems I work to resolv :D

- Lack of company info in the info box.

- Changing the standard buttons. I think I will implement flash buttons! I need opinions - It's a good or a bad ideea ?¿

- Thinking of a flash banner in the header! In this way I will fill the blank space ;)

Please give your sinceer opinion about the site. All the sugestion and comments have been taken in to consideration!

Please use a normal and respectfull language here. It's a thread of opinions and sugestions only... so let us keep it that way.

I hope chooch will give his opinion.. I specialy like his comments about site's.

Special thanks to all that have made posible this project (osCommerce), who sponsored or are active implicated in to this! Respect.

Regards, Daniel

My

You started this thread with these words: Probably the best (looking) you have yet seen!

I see nothing special at all, definately nowhere near the best I have seen.

I give you full credit for making your osC store and you should be proud of your achievement but I think you should carry on making amendments until you perfect your store.

Even though it is osC, your site infoxes look a little creloaded style - but I like the fact that your images seem to be uniformed to one size therefore it does really look neat, clean and easy to the eye....

.... but all in all I don't like the stylesheet. There is more to gain by using different colour contrasts.

|Also, you need to lower the green button in the login box as it is making the whole of your column right bigger than the column left - you need to level it out. The 'we recommend' box is pointless with the browser links and the logo is to the left, the languages (which do not work properly) to the right and a huge empty gap in the centre.

Keep working on it, good luck.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

|Also, you need to lower the green button in the login box as it is making the whole of your column right bigger than the column left - you need to level it out. The 'we recommend' box is pointless with the browser links and the logo is to the left, the languages (which do not work properly) to the right and a huge empty gap in the centre.

Hi and thank you chooch

I don't figure out something... you are the second one to say "the languages (which do not work properly)" but I have tested with 3 widely used browsers.. (firefox, opera and IE ) and in all of them I have the language switch funcion working properly! Using the www site ( not the local) witch is working too....

What can be the problem ? I have asked other friends to navigate my site trough the language switch and they did not see a problem. The function is working perfect. Please someone tell me what can be the problem?

And yess I can see chooch that you either use IE or Opera becose in this 2 browsers the green button from the login box is out of place :D . In firefox is not :D But thnx for the tip ...I obviosly did not see it

Opera and IE seems to ignore the "<br />"comand I use in the login box to lower the button :( ¿ Why ?

Please all post the screen wide the you use.. I have a 15" and I don't have the posibility to switch on a 17". I have noted that is a small diference in site aspect overall.

Also post the browser you use...It's important..

Anyway, chooch...I can see you are a real critic. Respect

Succes to all

bye bye

My

For the buttons you could probably consider CSS buttons. At least that is what i want to use on my site. One of the advantages is that it doesn’t use any images - helps to speed up the loading time and you can change the look quickly. I am not any expert. it’s just what I think. But this is what I want to do on my site when I get more time.

Download:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3365

support:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161156

Hi and thank you chooch

I don't figure out something... you are the second one to say "the languages (which do not work properly)" but I have tested with 3 widely used browsers.. (firefox, opera and IE ) and in all of them I have the language switch funcion working properly! Using the www site ( not the local) witch is working too....

What can be the problem ? I have asked other friends to navigate my site trough the language switch and they did not see a problem. The function is working perfect. Please someone tell me what can be the problem?

The problem is when I select 'english' the text is not all english, there are bits of spanish in there too - your language files need to be corrected amended (or did need to be amended when I last looked)

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

So now I spent some time to read through the whole thread.

I have to agree with most of them. Your site looks neat and tidy but there is nothing that makes it stand out or more precise to remember it after leaving the shop.

There are still some areas where the text is in Spanish where it should be in English. I know how this happens. Some parts in my shop are mixed too because I was too lazy to translate everything when I added a new contribution and now it just takes time to go through all the files.

In my opinion the number of added contributions and modifications made is not relevant at all. What counts is the experience for my users when they visit my shop. Do they remember it? Do they find their way around and most importantly do they find the products they are looking for? Do they come back for more?

So keep on working to improve your shop!

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived