• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Encouraging Customers to write Product Reviews

Wandertec

My site has been up for about a year now and I haven't had any success getting customers to post reviews on the products.

While I'm quite certain that most of my potential customer would likes reading product reviews, it seems that few have the time or motivation to write after purchasing from me. I also feel they would be more likely to write a product review on a site that is already populated with many reviews.

I've been thinking I would offer a rebate program to customers who would be willing to write a review of the product they purchase. I could offer a discount of something like 5% back upon the submission of a review. I was thinking I'd post this offer on the site and include detailed instructions of the the offer with their order. As part of the instructions, I was thinking of encouraging that their review be somewhat directed at how the product works in conjunction with other products on my site so. This would encourage specific reviews that fit in with my niche website.

I was wondering if anyone has other methods for encouraging product reviews, or if they just seem to come without prompting. Also I'm interested in thoughts about the usefulness of product reviews.

Thanks.

my site: BikeTrailerShop.com

Another option would be to create a couple of user accounts and enter in your own reviews. It's not particularly dishonest if you're honest with your reviews. :)

Bottom line is, people are more inclined to participate when they don't feel like they're the first and only ones to do so. If they see a couple of reviews already there, they will feel more comfortable voicing their opinions.

We tried running a monthly review competition, with the best review winning a £10 voucher. Its safe to say it didn't work with only 39 reviews over the past year. Even though thier is a new European law set to come into play involving fake reviews from companies it might be the best way to get things kick started.

A good way of increasing reviews is to make it part of your sales process. Have an automatic email sent to the customer shortly after they receive the product; asking them if they were satisfied with your service. In this email, you could include a link to leaving a review.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Even though thier is a new European law set to come into play involving fake reviews from companies it might be the best way to get things kick started.

When is this happening?

I wonder how amazon did it... I think it would help if the review was shown on the same page as the product. Or have a "Write Review" button instead of the one saying "Reviews".

mikestackleshop

- Loads of Fishing Gear

Archived