• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Finding contributions is frustrating

webdesignpro

There are so many now, that it takes me 20 minutes to find the one I'm looking for! I find it very difficult to find a contribution in the current layout. They are categorized, but there is no way to sort or search. If you don't know the name of the contribution, good luck finding it quickly. For example, there is a "Call for Price" mod available, but it's called "Free Call for Price" and it's listed in the "Other" category. I knew it existed, but it took me forever to find it!

I was hoping that there was a quicker and easier way than browsing through the whole list of each category. There are different versions of the same contribution, but you have to open the older ones to get a description of what the contribution does. There's got to be a better way.

I think if we could sort them by name and date, that would be VERY helpful. A keyword search would be fantastic.

If at least the names and descriptions of the contrbutions were all listed in this forum with links to the downloadable files, it would be possible to find the one you want.

Any suggestions?

--

Harold Corbin

Makes no difference if you are updating it etc, what script is ever finished ??  Could you upload it to OsC site please?

First of all - ajeh is osCommerce Team Member. She knows the rules, trust me.

Second - first this thread is complaining about contributions being complicated to find due to different versions and now you ask to enhance the mess by uploading even unfinished versions?

Linda (ajeh) will upload the V4 once she thinks it meets the quality standards she is using (they are high ;-). In the meantime she offers it on her site. So you can always get it. I cannot see a problem here.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

"Any features mentioned in the forums must be freely available under the GPL license and freely downloadable at the Contributions section on the osCommerce support site."

Makes no difference if you are updating it etc, what script is ever finished ??  Could you upload it to OsC site please?

I have several versions loaded here, I do not recall it a requirement to maintain those versions and upload them every week to keep them current, include additional features, modifications, bug fixes etc.

This is a large contribution with a considerable number of months spent maintaining this code and adding features, modifications, bells and whistles as they have been requested or added from the various wish lists and stated needs here on the forum.

Until such time as these are all designed in a clean, and completely bug-free design where there will not be major rewrites to this add-on it will be on my site free for downloads by anyone who can click a link or two to get there.

Otherwise, feel free to click the downloads here and take one of the old versions I have posted here and rewrite what you need and bring them up to date to the current snapshot, etc.

Afraid that is the best I can do for you right now. :shock:

Although I am, by no means, as big a coder as the other experienced guys can be found here, I have been able to help others in a certain manner.

I have this addiction of collecting all the latest mods and keep installing them for the simple pleasure of "been there - done that!".

I have been giving away 100+ MOD's in a .zip file to everyone who requests. All the posted mod's remain "unaltered" and AFAIK the latest versions of each mod will be posted. Email me if you need it.

If you need help in installing them, I can do it for free or on a time-cost basis.

With best regards

Preeti

Seems strange thats all, but if the Core Team are saying it's OK to not put contributions where they are supposed to be then who am I to say otherwise ;)

Picture 300k loaded since v1.0 through v4.0 and I number in 10ths unless it's a major change loaded to the site.

That would be 20-30 posts of different versions ...

300k x 20-30 worth of wasted space ...

And trying to maintain updates and changes and modifications and fixes and features and snapshots and ... and ... and ...

I think I'd go nuts ... Harald would shoot me for flooding his contributions section with so many huge files ... and that list would be even bigger than it is now to search through.

Eventually it will be back here ... and eventually it will snow too ... you know it's gonna happen, it's just a matter of when :wink:

There is if you type it in the name :)

Unfortunately, do you kill off the old ones? They work with older snapshots.

New does not mean backwards compatible so the list grows ... and grows :shock:

The contributions part will be updated/enhanced as soon as Hatald has some time for it. This is scheduled to happen shortly before 2.2 is released.

There will happen a lot to get the contributions working with 2.2. Matk Evans will review the contributions and make them work with 2.2.

We are working hard. We are giving you osC for free. Please invest that bit of time for finding the contributions you need. We are working hard, but we cannot do everything at the same time.

Getting 2.2 out is the main thing. Should we change our priorities?

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

When can we look forward to 2.2? I can hardly wait!

When 2.2 is released, how about assigning a volunteer to test out the contributions/mods for compatibility before they are posted making qualified mods to be "offical". There would still be unoffical mods, but labeled as "use at your own risk" type of thing. Maybe even set guidelines for mods. I like the way PhpBB does their mods, maybe somethign like that.

Chap

Eagerly awaiting 2.2

• 1 month later...
Is any part of this thread going to address my original post?

I have emailed my 100+ mod collection to about 100 people and it is growing by the day (Now about 165 or so and needs 1.75 mb for me to offer as a free download)

See my signature in this context.

-Preeti