• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] News Scroller Box - HTML Version

hellbound

Please bear in mind that this solution uses the marquee tag.

The marquee tag is a non-standard extension to HTML introduced by Microsoft and seems to also work with newer Mozilla browsers but will not work with older Netscape browsers or opera.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Please bear in mind that this solution uses the marquee tag.

The marquee tag is a non-standard extension to HTML introduced by Microsoft and seems to also work with newer Mozilla browsers but will not work with older Netscape browsers or opera.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you're right, but I prefer to have problem with old browsers only...that to have problem with old browsers and new ones, without a Virtual Java machine installed :(

regards

you could implement a simple check and if the browser is not marquee compatible show a java based one.

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Hehe. And to make it realy smart I would suggest to test on:

- Flash

- Java

- JavaScript

- Marquee

If the marquee solution works in 90% of all cases - go for it. I only wanted to make sure that we all know that the marquee tag might not work in new browsers that will hit the stage in - say - 6 months.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Well if you insist: have a look at www.php.net/get_browser

Now all you need is 2000 if else statements.. grin.

The marquee tag is nice because it loads so quickly.

IMHO it is the first MS-invented html addon that's nice.

One small hooray for Bill and his team.

And it beats DHTML menu's on a non-compatible browser ;)

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Great contribution but I have a question. Is it possible to include this in the main area and not in the left or right column? I'd like to have mine right below the welcoming text and above the categories box. Thanks.

Nice job Javier,

I definatly like being able to alter al of the colors. I wasn't able to do that in the java version because parts of it were in pre-compiled C++. (shrug)

Here'a another working version.

www.wizardsandwars.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Nice job Javier,

I definatly like being able to alter al of the colors. I wasn't able to do that in the java version because parts of it were in pre-compiled C++. (shrug)

Here'a another working version.

www.wizardsandwars.com

Glad to help :)

• 5 months later...