• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

usps adds an extra pound to the shipping weight

I have installed the usps module and it works correctly but where I have added the weight of the product, in this case dvds, at .3 pound, when the cart indicates the shipping cost, it displays the weight at 1.3 lbs. I can't see anywhere the extra one pound is coming from. I am attaching the estimate according to zip code. The correct weight is shown at the top but at the bottom where the usps rates are shown it shows the charge for 2 dvds orders at 1.6 pounds whereas it should only be .6 lbs.

any idea why this is happening and how to fix?

USPS_rate_for_London.jpg

I have installed the usps module and it works correctly but where I have added the weight of the product, in this case dvds, at .3 pound, when the cart indicates the shipping cost, it displays the weight at 1.3 lbs. I can't see anywhere the extra one pound is coming from. I am attaching the estimate according to zip code. The correct weight is shown at the top but at the bottom where the usps rates are shown it shows the charge for 2 dvds orders at 1.6 pounds whereas it should only be .6 lbs.

any idea why this is happening and how to fix?

USPS_rate_for_London.jpg

check the packaging section in your admin configuration, you may have input some packaging or tare weight there.

according to the usps.php page, USPS doesn't accept 0 weight.

So, how on earth could any of the contributions for 0 shipping for 0 weight work if USPS doesn't allow for a weight of 0? (We're talking deliverable goods -- not downloads/etc.)

check the packaging section in your admin configuration, you may have input some packaging or tare weight there.

Thanks, I had no idea that the tare weight was there. -- I changed it and the cart is now configuring the rate for the small International Priority rate is working correctly. However, some other rates are not coming back correctly. I will start a new thread for that problem.

according to the usps.php page, USPS doesn't accept 0 weight.

So, how on earth could any of the contributions for 0 shipping for 0 weight work if USPS doesn't allow for a weight of 0? (We're talking deliverable goods -- not downloads/etc.)

Omar, thanks for your reply but you mis-read the screen grab. The weight is not 0 zero but 0.6 pounds or six tenths of a pound. This is a good which is deliverable and each dvd weighs approximately .3 pounds or just under 3 ounces. BTW, I always appreciate every reply on this board as I love the sense of community.

best,

M

MurryM - can I ask how you got the USPS shipping module set up? I was given a user id from the usps website and entered it in the module set up - it also asks for the "the USPS Password - See USPS ID". I took this to mean - enter the ID as the password since I wasn't given a password. just an ID. I left the rest of the options at the default values. NO shipping is added at all when a item is added to the card and you finish the checkout process! I've entered weights for ALL products - but no shipping appears. The USPS module is the only one turned on. What am I doing wrong? Can you tell me how you set up your account?

Thanks in advance.

MurryM - can I ask how you got the USPS shipping module set up? I was given a user id from the usps website and entered it in the module set up - it also asks for the "the USPS Password - See USPS ID". I took this to mean - enter the ID as the password since I wasn't given a password. just an ID. I left the rest of the options at the default values. NO shipping is added at all when a item is added to the card and you finish the checkout process! I've entered weights for ALL products - but no shipping appears. The USPS module is the only one turned on. What am I doing wrong? Can you tell me how you set up your account?

Thanks in advance.

Leave the password blank it is not required any longer and they don't use it.

Make sure you take it out of the test server mode,

You need to contact the usps and ask them to switch you to their production server, They included an 800 number in their acceptance email. They will make the switch when you call.

It should work. If it doesn't work, respond with a screen grab of your settings and I can see how they differ from mine. I am using it on 3 sites which I manage currently

Thanks for getting back! I tried that and still no shipping comes up at all. Guess I'll just have to go to a flat rate. There's another thread about this same topic. Seems like this module works for some and not for others. Would be nice if I was one of the ones it worked for. Oh well! If anyone has a fix to this situation - please post! All us "have-nots" would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks for getting back! I tried that and still no shipping comes up at all. Guess I'll just have to go to a flat rate. There's another thread about this same topic. Seems like this module works for some and not for others. Would be nice if I was one of the ones it worked for. Oh well! If anyone has a fix to this situation - please post! All us "have-nots" would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I had the same problem too, however what is needed is to get a favorible reply from the xml string. I used Internet explorer and entered the xml string given by the rate return API manuel to in the address bar. Just cut and past it in wordpad and subsitute you user ID. This should get a favorable reply as exampled in the online manual. after this, call the USPS and have them swith you over to the correct server. this hould work and start returning weight calculations. Hope this helps someone

• 3 weeks later...