• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Credit Class & Gift Voucher v3.2

Ian

A maintenance release, this version now works correctly if tax recalculation is required.

If you are upgrading from v3.0 or v3.1 read the install.txt, only two files need replacing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For newcomers, the Credit Class provides support for complex discount systems. A complex discount system is one which requires user interaction at checkout to decide whether the discount should be applied.

The discount system supplied with the base credit class is a Gift Voucher system.

Customers may purchase Gift Vouchers and then post via email, the value of the Gift Voucher to a friend/relative. The person receiving the Gift Voucher can then redeem the Gift Voucher and spend it on products in the store.

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping this has worked ok, as I've just moved from a windows based dev system to a Linux (Mandrake 9.0) based dev system. I'm even doing my cvs commits on the command line :-)

BTW Did you know Mandrake 9.0 comes with osCommerce as an RPM. Fame at last. :-))

Oh bugger,

Just noticed that the install docs completely forget to mention how to enable the Gift Voucher system after install.

First you need to create a product category to hold your Gift Voucher product(s)

Within this category you can create as mahy Gift Vouchers of varying value as you want.

The only thing to remember when creating the Gift Voucher products is that the first four characters of th product model field must be GIFT.

You will also have to enable the order_total module.

To do this go to admin->modules->order total.

You will need to adjust the sort order of some/all of the order total modules to fit where tou want the Gift Voucher displaying. Don't forget to enable the Gift Voucher mod by clicking on it's green status icon.

Rear Ian,

thank you for your E-Mail - and the new version. The ADD-on is really super....

I have of the verse. 3.0 to 3.2 updates.....

thus only replaces the 2 files

Unfortunately with me the TAX is still computed wrongly!!!

If a customer buys a coupon over 10,00$ (inclusive 16% TAX), and this "redeem" becomes automatic, then everything functions!!!!!!

If a customer buys a coupon over 10,00$ (inclusive 16% TAX), and this in the Admin (Gift Voucher queue)"redeem" becomes, then only one amount is credited of 8,62$!!

Perhaps point does you assistance???

Thank you for the assistance

Boergi

Rear Ian,

thanks for the fast answer. I wait in large hope for the answer.

If this small error is repaired, I can use the ADD-on.

Thanks

Boergi

for the future:

If a customer buys something with a coupon, and thus with a purchase order value of 116,00$, (with 16% TAX)

redeems a coupon over 116,00$, then the calculation sum is 0.00$!!!

Logically!!!

BUT

The TAX is still indicated of 16,00$ in checkout_confirmation.php.

Perhaps one can solve later.....

I've tested this situatuion and it seems ok

if I create a coupon with 10.00 net price and subject to 10% sales tax.

The total cost to the customer is $11.00. However the customer only gets $10.00 in his GV account(whether immediate or queued). This is correct. The $1.00 tax belongs to the taxman not the customer.

What may be confusing is whether you need tax recalculation. If you have added tax on purchase then you should not need tax re-calculation on. Otherwise you would be charging tax twice.

Help! Tax experts needed.

Hmm... I'm no tax-man, but intuitively it doesn't seem like gift-vouchers should be taxed at all when they are sold.

Assuming 10% tax:

I buy a $10.00 gift voucher and end up paying $11.00.

I redeem it for an item selling for $10.00.

The total on my purchase comes to $11.00 so I need to shell out another buck.

So for a $10.00 item I end up paying $12.00 total due to being taxed twice (essentially).

Am I missing something? (And yes, I understand that tax law is meant to be anything but intuitive.)

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

I don't know if this is possible at all, but is there any way to not charge shipping if the GV is the ONLY thing ordered while using Flat Rate shipping?

I.e. Customer orders $10 gift voucher. Order total is $10.00

Customer orders $10 gift voucher and $1 item. Flat rate shipping is $3. Order total is $14.

Possible?

Thanks for the answer.

Please excuse - I am not at my computer, therefore I cannot examine all data exactly.

FIRST problem:

If the customer a "GIFT-Voucher" is released to 11 purchase, and this automatically over $ 10 + $ 1 (10%TAX) = $, then he receives also a "poison Voucher" over $ 11!!!

This is correct according to my opinion.

If the customer is released however a "poison Voucher" over $ 10 + $ 1 (10%TAX) = $ to 11 purchase, and this duch the Admin, then he receives only a "poison Voucher" over $ 10!!!

This is wrong according to my opinion.

The problem is, which is handled different it!!!!!!

To the tax: 10% Tax is accepted:

Customer buys to commodity (GIFT-Voucher) for $ 10 + $ 1 TAX = 11$ completely

customer should GIFT-Voucher over $ 11 it $ 10 + $ 1 TAX = 11$ paid received there.

If the customer buys now late commodity (CD Player) for $100 + $10 TAX = 110$ complete,

and he (poison Voucher) over $ 10 + $ 1 TAX = 11$ redeems.

It must pay only $ 90 + $ 9 TAX = 99$ .

Like that it is correct according to my opinion!!!! If we however from the other case proceed.

Customer buys to commodity (GIFT-Voucher) for $ 10 + $ 1 TAX = 11$ completely

receives the customer only a GIFT-Voucher over $ 10 + $ 0 TAX = 10$ paid.

If the customer buys now late commodity (CD Player) for $100 + $10 TAX = 110$ complete,

and he (GIFT-Voucher) over $ 10 + $ 0 TAX = 10$ redeems.

It must pay $ 90 + $ 9 TAX = 100$ .

The customer must pay around the TAX of the GIFT-Voucher more.....; -)

Problem is however the different handling..... otherwise could one something trixen surely.

Love of greetings

Boergi

Sorry for my bad english..... ;-((((

I've tested this situatuion and it seems ok

if I create a coupon with 10.00 net price and subject to 10% sales tax.

The total cost to the customer is $11.00. However the customer only gets $10.00 in his GV account(whether immediate or queued). This is correct. The $1.00 tax belongs to the taxman not the customer.

Yes - however the Gift-Voucher is like a credit note. And if one against-counts a credit note against a Bill, also the TAX is against-counted!!!

Boergi

Paul,

Depends on wht country your from.

You can set the Gift Voucher to be taxed in different ways.

Standard is no tax. Therefore it costs you $10 you get $10 to spend and you can buy $10 of goods with it.

You can set a taxrate for a Gift Voucher just like any other product.

It also caters for the situation where if you buy something for 30+3 tax and use gift voucher worth 10 tax is recalculated on (30-10) and tax therefore is 2 so you end up paying only 22

All depennds on how you set it up.

I'll try and make this simple.

A Gift Voucher is just like nay other product. You can set a tax rate to be applied to it just like any other product.

Whether you let the customer have the value immediately or queue the value the SAME amount goes into their GV account which is always the cost - tax. So if gv is 10 and tax = 1. Customer gets 10.

You should look at the other options in admin. You can exclude shipping and or tax from being paid by Gift Voucher.

So if the goods bought cost 20, tax =2 shipping =2 and gift voucher is 10 then if shipping and tax are excluded customer would pay 14 e.g. 20-10+2+2

You can aslo set the tax to be recalculated, This means that if goods are 30, tax =3 and gv =10 then customer pays 22. e.g. (30-10) =20 new tax =2 total =22

The options are there to hopefully cover situations in many countries.

Note also there may be some confusion about sending gift vouchers by admin.

When you send a GV by admin you are sending a Gross amount. No tax is caulculated It's a Gift from the shop owner. In this case no purchase is made and no tax is recorded. The shop owner is left to account for the tax.

Therefore if you send someone a $10 GV they get $10. If tax should be applied to GV the the shop owner will have to remember to pay $1 to taxman.

I don't know if this is possible at all, but is there any way to not charge shipping if the GV is the ONLY thing ordered while using Flat Rate shipping?

I.e. Customer orders $10 gift voucher.  Order total is $10.00

Customer orders $10 gift voucher and $1 item.  Flat rate shipping is $3.  Order total is $14.  

Possible?

This is probably not related at all to he GV's, but maybe someone has an answer to this? Is there a way to get rid of the shipping if just a GV is purchased?

Or, is there a way that anyone knows of, to have 0 shipping costs if downloadable software (only) is purchased?

I know this has been mentioned in a few other posts but no solution or suggestion was provided yet.

Any ideas guys?

thanks for the great efforts and time you've put into these. (GV/CC and the Coupon code). One more question I have for you specifically is about the subtraction of the actual coupon code or GV.

Both of these show up on the customers order, but how is this amount actually subtracted? Is there a way for this to be done automatically before it's processed?

Dear Ian,

thanks for your great GV addon - unfourtunately, (like Boergi) I have with the Tax, as it is not included, if someone purchases the GV or recieves it from the admin.

I'd need a GV addon, where tax is already included.

e.g.:

if tax is 10%, and someone purcheases a 10$ voucher, I have to pay 1$ to the taxman. no matter, the customer has a voucher worth 10$ and he can buy something for 10$ in the shop. as i have already paid the tax, now there is no more tax to be calculated for this 10$ product, he buys.

if the customer buys for more than 10$ - e.g. for 20$, he there is a included tax of only 1$.

20$ products

-

10$ voucher

---------------------- =

10$ products

10% tax included (1$)

----------------------

final ammount for the customer to pay:

10$

actual tax for the taxman:

1$ (as I gave the taxman the other 1$, when the customer purchased the voucher)

I hope you understand :?: what I mean, an can help me with my problem.

Apology!!!!!

I wrote somewhat wrongly. The error always exists!!!! If the customer a bought coupon automatic or if it must be redeem by the Admin still manually.

In both cases it receives a coupon without tax.

###################################

If the coupon is bought, then the "Taxman" already receives the tax with the sales of the coupon.

If this coupon is then redeemed, the "Taxman" receives only the tax for the balance.

If the customers gift gets a coupon of the "Admin", the coupon must be also inclusive steering wheel, since this coupon is to be regarded then as discount.

I hope the Uebersetztung (Alta Vista) am so good that one can understand it.

Greeting

Boergi

Hi guys,

Here's my 2 cents.

Here in Canada when you buy a gift voucher, you don't pay tax for that. When you use the GV to purchase some items, your GV amount will be deducted from the total (after tax, tax included, whatever) amount of your order.

For example, I bought $10 GV from a store. I only pay $10 at that time.

Later I buy $10 item from that store, plus tax it will cost me $11.5 (%15 tax). Since I have a $10 GV, I end up paying $1.5.

I think this will make the implementaion easier. Also here in Canada, Wal-mart use this way for their Gift Certificate.

Kenneth Wang

VA3RRW/BD4RR

Some additions of my last post:

For the situation when tax is already included in the price:

When you sale a GV, you do NOT pay tax for the sale. Basically GV is just another kind of money. You exchange your own bill (your $10 GV) with customers' real bill (like a $10 bill). So this is actually NOT a real sale.

When the customer redeem the GV, they are using the bill of your store to pay off the amount. This time it's a real sale, so the tax counts.

So you will only pay tax once.

Kenneth Wang

VA3RRW/BD4RR

Boergi,

Altavista Babel sucks.

I have asked bluetown, and could you also please email me in German your exact problem. I think problems with language are stopping me understanding.

If you post in german to [email protected] I will have proper translation done.

I see a lot of people complaining about tax problems - so far I havn't seen any on our installation. (This is with a dfault c.class and coupon code).

My question however:

The coupon amount and or gv, are those supposed to be subtracted from the total amount once applied?

Here's a snapshot from a checkout:

<pre>

Sub-Total: $67.99

Tax (6%): $4.08

UPS GND 1 X 1.648: $10.76

Total: $83.48

Gift Vouchers: $10.00

</pre>

Just wondering about that because once we setup our auth.net and paypal the correct charges (total - gv or coupon) will not be processed as they're supposed to. Am I missing something?

The reason the total looks wrong, is that you have the sort order of the Gift Voucher order_total module set to a higher number than the Total order_total module. The actual internal order total value will have been adjusted .

Hi!

Have you added timelimits for gift vouchers on this release?

Lets say that I want to give 100 SEK GV to all my customers,

but the GV will only be valid within 1 month.

Regards,

Patrick Andersson

A maintenance release, this version now works correctly if tax recalculation is required.

If you are upgrading from v3.0 or v3.1 read the install.txt, only two files need replacing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For newcomers, the Credit Class provides support for complex discount systems. A complex discount system is one which requires user interaction at checkout to decide whether the discount should be applied.  

The discount system supplied with the base credit class is a Gift Voucher system.

Customers may purchase Gift Vouchers and then post via email, the value of the Gift Voucher to a friend/relative. The person receiving the Gift Voucher can then redeem the Gift Voucher and spend it on products in the store.