• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Does anyone take advantage of the 'REVIEWS' button before purchasing?

Victor Wise

Hi,

Does anyone's OScommerce site actually exploit the 'reviews' button next to the 'add to cart' button? Seriously, never in my life have I ever visited someones oscommerce site, clicked on the review button, and have actually seen a review. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just being naive?

I admit that I usually look at newer oscommerce sites. But the fact stands that I have never seen a review in my life. In fact, I am conditioned to ignore this button now since it has only wasted my time in the past.

Are there any contributions that will make either remove this button if there are no reviews, or write in small print below how many reviews there are?

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Hi,

Does anyone's OScommerce site actually exploit the 'reviews' button next to the 'add to cart' button? Seriously, never in my life have I ever visited someones oscommerce site, clicked on the review button, and have actually seen a review. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just being naive?

I admit that I usually look at newer oscommerce sites. But the fact stands that I have never seen a review in my life. In fact, I am conditioned to ignore this button now since it has only wasted my time in the past.

Are there any contributions that will make either remove this button if there are no reviews, or write in small print below how many reviews there are?

Agreed, usually the reviews are written by store owners I think

its easy just to comment out the button.

Thank you Jamez, you are a smart man.

Not to criticize oscommerce (because it is the best), but why the hell are they still including this button standard? No one uses it yet everyone has it. The way I see it, there are two ways remedy this oversight 1) make the button optional 2) make available some type of function where oscommerce sends an automatic customer feedback email 30 days after the purchase.

I hope no one takes my criticism of oscommerce personally. I absolutely love OScommerce and recommend it to all my friends ( I recommend MonsterCommerce to people I hate)

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Actually, I have gotten a few reviews from real customers, I admit there is only a small percentage of reviews vs products sold.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

http://www.lakeland-printing.com

I just took the image for the reviews and made it invisible in photoshop. If you go to my site, click any product you will not see it. But, if you hover the mouse over you can still click it. Go ahead and right click to snag it, I don't mind. It will save you some time, then upload it to "/images/button_reviews.gif".

I encourage my customers on a personal level to give me feedback, and they do. I even send the link to them. I call all my customers and personally thank them. This is a brand news store, and I only have 2 reviews. But, as I get more I will make the button viewable again. I feel that will benefit from the search engines. This is my second os commerce store, the other one has real feedback: http://www.diggerschoice-seafood.com/reviews.php

What do you all think?

Mike,

I would advise caution to anyone that has an invisible link on their website. While you are behaving in good faith - Google might mistake the invisible link for some blackhat dirty SEO trick. And we all know what google does to sites they don't like.....

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Mike,

I would advise caution to anyone that has an invisible link on their website. While you are behaving in good faith - Google might mistake the invisible link for some blackhat dirty SEO trick. And we all know what google does to sites they don't like.....

The link isn't invisible. It's still very much active. It's the image that blends in so you can't see anything. Google or any other spider will still index it because they can't "read" images. There is no black hat about this, but a good alernative until you get enough reviews to have it displayed again. Review pages do get indexed by the serps

The link isn't invisible. It's still very much active. It's the image that blends in so you can't see anything. Google or any other spider will still index it because they can't "read" images. There is no black hat about this, but a good alernative until you get enough reviews to have it displayed again. Review pages do get indexed by the serps

I stand corrected - my first instinct in seeing your solution was to be afraid of google.

Anyone else have any luck getting or removing the reviews?

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

This is a product on an osCommerce site that has 14 reviews: http://www.achatzpies.com/product_info.php?products_id=28

The one major change I would do to reviews is make it possible to post them without having to login.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

If your products inspire reviews they're worth it as a sticky feature

This for example

You may want to look into putting the reviews on the product page instead of making people click away from it.

Anyways, I think reviews are useful.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Another factor with having reviews (especially on your homepage) is there are alot of morons out there who will post stuff you don't want people to see. I've emailed this store owner to tell them, but it's still there:

http://www.sexinthecitylingerie.com/

I hope they realize, you will see someone posted something dirty and it can be seen by all.

Another factor with having reviews (especially on your homepage) is there are alot of morons out there who will post stuff you don't want people to see. I've emailed this store owner to tell them, but it's still there:

http://www.sexinthecitylingerie.com/

I hope they realize, you will see someone posted something dirty and it can be seen by all.

Well, maybe they think 1 review is better than zero reviews. :)

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

And of course you can always mod your store to require admin approval.

Iggy

better or worse, I believe the clients are looking for some reviews before buying an item. Even they don't know the people who is writing them, they are willing to believe this item is nice, or not.

But, the best thing is to put the reviews on products_info pages (without clicking an additional button). I saw some examples above, but don't know how to do it ?

Could someone above please show me the way to put the reviews on products_info page ??

Like;

this ->

http://www.sodaking.com/product_info.php/products_id/399

and this ->

http://www.achatzpies.com/product_info.php?products_id=28

Thanks...

I stand corrected - my first instinct in seeing your solution was to be afraid of google.

Anyone else have any luck getting or removing the reviews?

I just replaced the button with a cleardot, a 1px image is impossible to find! Just resize any image to 1x1px and save as whatever button you want to lose.

www.djscollectables.com

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed, usually the reviews are written by store owners I think

its easy just to comment out the button.

Sorry, but that is not true. I have clients who order what I sell primarily because they read the reviews and testimonials of other clients. I do agree a great many are written by the seller, but not in my case.

Go to www.al-karaoke.net

Donabano

• 2 weeks later...
2) make available some type of function where oscommerce sends an automatic customer feedback email 30 days after the purchase.

They are called transactional emails. If you want to learn more about them, I just stumbled across what is easily the best email marketing blog I have ever read.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

How can I take out the comment button?

I tried to comment out the review button but I had no luck. I think I was putting "//" in the wrong place, so I just removed this whole line (In Bold):

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
         <tr class="infoBoxContents">
           <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
             <tr>
               <td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
               [i][b]<td class="main"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_reviews.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_REVIEWS) . '</a>'; ?></td>[/b][/i]
               <td class="main" align="right"><?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $product_info['products_id']) . tep_image_submit('button_in_cart.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_IN_CART); ?></td>
               <td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
             </tr>
           </table></td>

I tried to comment out the review button but I had no luck. I think I was putting "//" in the wrong place, so I just removed this whole line (In Bold):

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
         <tr class="infoBoxContents">
           <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
             <tr>
               [i][b]<td class="main"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_reviews.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_REVIEWS) . '</a>'; ?></td>[/b][/i]
               <td class="main" align="right"><?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $product_info['products_id']) . tep_image_submit('button_in_cart.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_IN_CART); ?></td>
             </tr>
           </table></td>

Sorry, I forgot to mention file: product_info.php

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last year I have seen many e-commerce sites with some kind of reviews feature. Most just had a few reviews if at all. My guess is that the first two or three are the ones the store owner put in to see how and if the feature is working.

I would love to use them to help new customers to decide if the product is for them or not but that means that customers who bought the product come back to the shop and add a review. About 50% of my customers choose to checkout without creating an account so I'll need to remove the need to login requirement. I'll have a look how I could integrate this best with the normal status update emails.

As for the reviews info on the products info pages, I removed the reviews count and modified the button displayed depending on whether reviews already exist or not.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived