• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

Can anyone tell me if this contribution pulls the header tag based on the cpath or is it based on the product database info? I currently use KissMT and have an issue where I have products linked to multiple categories but the header tag and meta info is always the same as where the product was initially created. I need it to be based on the cpath of the product so when viewed in different sections it has the correct META and header tag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Thanx for a great contrib.

I would like to make the categori title and product title to include H1/H2/H3-tags.

May anyone please give me a hand how I include that in the easiest way to this contribution.

Thanx!

Cheers

Andreas

Hi!

Thanx for a great contrib.

I would like to make the categori title and product title to include H1/H2/H3-tags.

May anyone please give me a hand how I include that in the easiest way to this contribution.

Thanx!

Cheers

Andreas

Hi again!

I tryed to do this:

Contribution code from product_info.php:

<h1><title><?php echo ((strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1)) ? $header_tags['products_name'] . ' - ' . $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?>

</title></h1>

<h2><meta name="description" content="<?php echo $header_tags['desc_tag']; ?>"></h2>

I'm not sure that will work thou, what do you think?

BR

Andreas

Edited by addeaz

Hi,

First, I'm sorry because I dont't speak English very well.

I just installed the contribution and everything works except one problem.

On my site the <title> is duplicated and it repeats the category name.

I don't know how to fix it.

thank you for your help

Viny

I'm not sure that will work thou, what do you think?

BR

Andreas

NO. even it works it owuld be useless/meaningless.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Hi,

First, I'm sorry because I dont't speak English very well.

I just installed the contribution and everything works except one problem.

On my site the <title> is duplicated and it repeats the category name.

I don't know how to fix it.

thank you for your help

Viny

1st, read and follow the installation instructions carefully;

2nd, post your site url so that it could be examined.

I am at the mo commit to other things so dont come here as often, and every time there is an upgrade it kills the setting ie it no longer sends me a notice that someone has posted a question to this forum/this contribution. the contribution can be further modified to suit anyone's needs.

and dont send me emails as they are unlikely read or replied.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

NO. even it works it owuld be useless/meaningless.

Ken

Hi again!

I used a SEO webtest tool gorank.com, and it found the keywords for my product in the "Headings", that means that it takes up the productname using the coding I did, so it seems to work. Why do you mean that it would be useless?

BR

Andreas

1st, read and follow the installation instructions carefully;

2nd, post your site url so that it could be examined.

I am at the mo commit to other things so dont come here as often, and every time there is an upgrade it kills the setting ie it no longer sends me a notice that someone has posted a question to this forum/this contribution. the contribution can be further modified to suit anyone's needs.

and dont send me emails as they are unlikely read or replied.

Ken

I'm sorry to have sent a mail, I was afraid of not having to reply on the forum.

I think I followed the instructions to install the contribution.

I don't have problems for the metas description and keywords but the <title> doesn't work well.

In this example: I incorporated the word "test" in the admin for the title and it is repeated 2 times. In addition, it adds me the name of my category.

I should have just wrote "test"

I don't undestand.

Thank you for you help,

Viny

More informations:

in the file product_info.php I have this code:

<title><?php echo $header_tags[title_tag]; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $header_tags[desc_tag]; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $header_tags[keywords_tag]; ?>">

Hi again!

I used a SEO webtest tool gorank.com, and it found the keywords for my product in the "Headings", that means that it takes up the productname using the coding I did, so it seems to work. Why do you mean that it would be useless?

BR

Andreas

i was referring to the h1/h2 tag.

Ken

ps: i clicked reply but somehow the mouse touched the + sign instead so that gave 1 positive point and theres no way to correct it.

More informations:

in the file product_info.php I have this code:

the code you posted above should not generate double title. make sure the file on server is actually using the code shown above.

Ken

i was referring to the h1/h2 tag.

Ken

ps: i clicked reply but somehow the mouse touched the + sign instead so that gave 1 positive point and theres no way to correct it.

Hi, ok thanks I gave you one positive too, and I meant it hehe:)

I was also reffering to "h1/h2" when I wrote "Headings", the tool says that the productnames in -

"<h1><title><?php echo ((strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1)) ? $header_tags['products_name'] . ' - ' . $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?>

</title></h1>

"

- shows as a "h1".

BR

Andreas

Edited by addeaz

Hi, ok thanks I gave you one positive too, and I meant it hehe:)

I was also reffering to "h1/h2" when I wrote "Headings", the tool says that the productnames in -

"<h1><title><?php echo ((strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1)) ? $header_tags['products_name'] . ' - ' . $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?>

</title></h1>

"

- shows as a "h1".

BR

Andreas

the point here is, meta tags do not take html tags, eg, can you colour, say, your title to red using style something like <title style="color:red"> or any other form? you can't (well, i dont bother to test it). check it out on w3c html standards, or run your page with w3c validator and i guess it would flag it as errors. and thats why they are useless/meaningless.

or if you prove you can, then that'd be a great discovery!

the h1/h2 tags, according to some, is to tell search engines how important a certain part of content would be in between these h1/h2 tags so that, hopefully, they take notice. but i guess they just ignore them if you put them in the header.

Ken

Yes, I have this code on product_info.php:

I use PHP 4.4.9 and the problem may be there?

But it would be a shame because it works almost...

(I am sorry not speak English well)

Thank you so much for putting this wonderful step by step together. I did my best to complete everything in the SEO Header Tags for Novices v5.0.

My title tag for the index.php works great.

When I go to my sites admin and go to Catalog this is what I see:

Categories/Products

BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT

BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_EDIT

Products Attributes

Manufacturers

Reviews

Specials

Products Expected

When I click on:

BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT

or:

BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_EDIT

I get:

404 Not Found

The requested URL //admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT does not exist.

or:

404 Not Found

The requested URL //admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_EDIT does not exist.

When I just hover over them, the lower left corner of the browser has this:

"https://www.lovedenvercolorado.com//admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT"

and

"https://www.lovedenvercolorado.com//admin/FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_EDIT"

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Eric

Yes, I have this code on product_info.php:

I use PHP 4.4.9 and the problem may be there?

But it would be a shame because it works almost...

(I am sorry not speak English well)

No, php version is not the problem altho i have no idea what happens to your site until actually looking at it.

Ken

Thank you so much for putting this wonderful step by step together. I did my best to complete everything in the SEO Header Tags for Novices v5.0.

this is obviously a case that you overlook one or two steps of the installation instructions. double check installation and pay attention to (copied) files locations.

Ken

Thank you for all your responses.

What can I show you exactly to get more information?

you can set up a test site that can show the same issue, then send me via pm the FTP details. I dont mind to take a few minutes to look at it, as I am curious why it behaves so strangely or in such a funny way.

btw your site is in french so i guess you are in france. i am in france as well at the moment.

Ken

I'll put everything on a ftp but I am required to install os commerce, if I put only the files it's ok ?

Yes, I live in France.

no, you dont have to install osc unless you choose to (which will generate the correct configure.php files but you need to make sure you dont over write them when copying over the files from the live site).

you can simply copy all files from live site to the test site, then make changes to the configure.php files accordingly.

Ken

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if this contribution allows

1) Manually adding title, meta description and meta keyword for each product?

2) Manually adding title, meta description and meta keyword for each category?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if this contribution allows

1) Manually adding title, meta description and meta keyword for each product?

2) Manually adding title, meta description and meta keyword for each category?

Please let me know.

Thanks

the answer to both 1 & 2 is YES.

Ken

I'll reinstall the website on a ftp temporary and I'll send the settings by email.

We can do this?

Thank you for your help.

pls make sure the test site actually works. a quick look found that the configure.php files refer to another site. i dont have much time so you'd test it (the url etc) before handing it to me. i am not suppose to fix other issues eg the configure.php and db connection.

Ken